Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible Musician Interviews

Started by phantom_power, March 03, 2021, 07:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 13, 2021, 11:21:36 AM
Are there any examples of music journalists telling stroppy interview subjects to go fuck themselves?

I told several in my time. Nobody remotely famous though.

New page oh i can't think of anything to write here.

dr beat

You can't leave that hanging there, surely? ;)

Seedsy

Quote from: Jockice on March 13, 2021, 12:09:29 PM
I told several in my time. Nobody remotely famous though.

New page oh i can't think of anything to write here.

Spill

Jockice

It'll genuinely be nobody you've ever heard of, unless you were involved in the Sheffield indie music scene in the late 80s or 90s. I mean they might have known Jarvis Cocker but they certainly weren't him.

Jockice

Quote from: Goldentony on March 14, 2021, 04:29:45 AM
speedy

Well I and them (well the singer and drummer) had our disagreements but I don't think I actually told them to fuck off. We're talking acts who didn't even put out a record here. There's really no big hidden story. Sorry.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Can you just confirm that Richard Hawley is a cunt? It was downhill all the way for him after he left Treebound Story.

holyzombiejesus

What? Richard Hawley's from Sheffield? Why does he never mention it?

NoSleep

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 14, 2021, 07:54:11 AM
Can you just confirm that Richard Hawley is a cunt? It was downhill all the way for him after he left Treebound Story.

I hate to say this but he's actually a really good bloke. Sorry to disappoint.

lazyhour

This hasn't been mentioned yet, has it? The king of all terrible musician interviews - Blur (specifically a coked-up Dave Rowntree) vs Nardwuar.

https://youtu.be/AkNvk2MgiCc

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Mm, stevedave posted it on page 1. Rowntree 's an utter prick in this, like an evil Nick Mason, but fair play to him for owning it afterwards. Leave it to Alex James to somehow come off as the bigger tit in the video with "who invented poo".

Personally I think the sonic youth one is worse.

lazyhour

kngen

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 13, 2021, 11:21:36 AM
Are there any examples of music journalists telling stroppy interview subjects to go fuck themselves?

Bill Grundy?

NoSleep

Surely Bill Grundy[nb]Not a music journalist.[/nb] encouraged the Pistols to tell him to go fuck himself?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on March 16, 2021, 05:47:04 PM
Mm, stevedave posted it on page 1. Rowntree 's an utter prick in this, like an evil Nick Mason, but fair play to him for owning it afterwards. Leave it to Alex James to somehow come off as the bigger tit in the video with "who invented poo".

But he was the inspiration for some lyrics for musical and comedy genius and all- round likeable person Keith Allen!

kngen

Quote from: NoSleep on March 17, 2021, 06:20:10 AM
Surely Bill Grundy[nb]Not a music journalist.[/nb] encouraged the Pistols to tell him to go fuck himself?

True, but - while I never appreciated it when I was younger, when I thought it was tremendously exciting - it's clear that it's just a weary, fairly unimpressed old hack[nb]and sex pest, but that was hardly remarkable at the BBC at that time[/nb] who's just thought: 'Oh fuck these little scrotes. Let them end their careers before it's even started.' The joke was on him, I suppose.

GRUNDY: It's what?

ROTTEN: Nothing. A rude word. Next question.

GRUNDY: No, no, what was the rude word?

ROTTEN: Shit.

GRUNDY: Was it really? Good heavens, you frighten me to death.

GRUNDY:  Go on, you've got another five seconds. Say something outrageous.

JONES: You dirty bastard!

GRUNDY: Go on, again.

JONES: You dirty fucker! [Laughter from the group]

GRUNDY: What a clever boy!

Anyway, to get this back on track, what about Mark Lamarr talking about shooting bigots after Shabba Ranks expressed his support for Buju Banton after a VT section about homophobic dancehall artists? That was a good one!

The Culture Bunker

I've always thought the best part of the Grundy interview is that Lydon does actually seem embarrassed when he says the rude word was "shit", like a kid caught sneaking a biscuit away by his mam.

BJBMK2

Lydon comes off the same way he does in almost every interview, like a try-too-hard tosser. I swear he's trotted out that joke in other interviews, "Nothing, a rude word! Next question!".

Steve Jones comes out on top, just utterly unfazed and unintimidated by pisshead Grundy. Lydon does actually sum it up pretty well in The Filth And The Fury , when he compares Steve's "you dirty fucker", to the way you'd deal with a wanker in a pub.

SteveDave

The two things I love about that Bill Grundy interview is the hard T at the end of Rotten's "shiT" and Jones calling him a "fuckin' rotta!"

You bounder, you cad!

The Culture Bunker

I'm sure I read in my copy of 'Magpie Eyes Are Hungry For the Prize' that Danny Kelly duffed up someone connected with Creation for making fun of his weight, but the book is so huge, I can't pin it down enough to check. Ring any bells for anyone?

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 17, 2021, 03:47:40 PM
I'm sure I read in my copy of 'Magpie Eyes Are Hungry For the Prize' that Danny Kelly duffed up someone connected with Creation for making fun of his weight, but the book is so huge, I can't pin it down enough to check. Ring any bells for anyone?

Can't remember that bit at all. My favourite anecdotes in that book are the one about the Jasmine Minks, the hammer and the crowbar and the one about My Bloody Valentine, the cat shit and the lighter.

That was Joe Foster from Creation Records:

QuoteLater that month, The Loft were strolling to a party in north London.  Bill Prince saw Kelly manhandle Foster against a wall and whisper a quiet word in his ear

Funny, I'm re-reading that book at the moment and I'd just got to that bit yesterday.

Johnboy

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 17, 2021, 01:11:28 PM
I've always thought the best part of the Grundy interview is that Lydon does actually seem embarrassed when he says the rude word was "shit", like a kid caught sneaking a biscuit away by his mam.

yes, Lydon decides to just unburden himself of the "shit" rather than refuse to say it which may have made things worse but then it all spiralled after he repeated it anyway.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on March 17, 2021, 07:40:06 PM
Funny, I'm re-reading that book at the moment and I'd just got to that bit yesterday.
Synchronicity, they call that. Much appreciated.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I will eternally be baffled by the popularity of Mark E. Smith. He was a nasty, witless cunt of a man. A bully. Imagine having to spend time with him. He wasn't funny, he was Finchy from The Office with a megaphone. Johnny from Naked without the turn of phrase.

And The Fall were shit. To each their own and all that, but I have tried and tried to get into them. Awful, grey, boring music.

Not for me, obviously.

Kankurette

Does anyone remember that incredibly awkward Placebo interview Sylvia Patterson did in the NME? They were horrible. So rude. I think it was when Without You I'm Nothing came out. I seem to remember there was one with Cypress Hill where one of them went on a big rant about The Gays. Steven Wells (RIP) did one with Slayer where Tom Araya praised Pinochet. That must have been awkward.

Also, I'm glad someone else mentioned Mark E Smith, because the guy was abusive to his partners, but people just ignore that. I couldn't get into The Fall because they have too many albums and I have neither the time nor the patience.
Quote from: buzby on March 03, 2021, 09:58:26 PM
The Primitives sold their own indie label out to RCA in exchange for greater exposure and chart success. If they didn't realise a result of that would be getting booked for promo on kid's breakfast TV then more fool them. No sympathy for them.
I'd love to be asked about toys. Miserable sods. And yeah, if you were a fairly big band in the '80s or '90s, you'd be on CD:UK, Live & Kicking and so on. Them's the brakes.

willbo

I probably mentioned it on the Marylin Manson thread, but in the Xmas 1998 issue of Kerrang, he went on a comedy rant about how he liked masturbating to (the then age 11/12) Lindsay Lohan, saying he rented the Parent Trap film for his hotel room so he could do so. It was obviously supposed to be edgy humour (and I laughed at the time being only just over that age myself reading it), but it looks bizarre now.

I remember Liam Gallagher on his own on T4 or something in the early 00s, and some US pop punk band had been on and Liam was like "I hate American rock" and the host was just trying to move on.

Honestly the ones that upset me most in 90s Kerrang were the ones where Ozzy, Metallica's James or Steven Tyler would constantly boast about how they were "clean" then the next year they'd talk about how they'd relapsed again but we're definitely clean now. I always...took it literally at the time that they didn't do booze or drugs anymore as if that was some absolute thing, and felt betrayed that they were in rehab again.

Shaky