Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible Musician Interviews

Started by phantom_power, March 03, 2021, 07:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

famethrowa

Surprised Les Tosseurs hasn't been mentioned yet, maybe because it's not terrible, it's absolutely brilliant. The idea of storming out and not being able to because you can't get the microphone off is absolute comedy gold, so good you couldn't write it better. Of course it was Maurice, always the joker.  I don't think Clive said anything too bad, Barry was just ultra defensive and couldn't hack the idea of his own joke being turned around on him in a throwaway comment. Gave us one of the best flounces, either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdvfmGPDVkk

Glitch King

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2021, 02:56:29 PM
I don't know how to summon Glitch King...

Nice work, HZJ!

👑
                😄
               👉👉

⛸⛸

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: famethrowa on March 29, 2021, 09:28:34 AM
Surprised Les Tosseurs hasn't been mentioned yet, maybe because it's not terrible, it's absolutely brilliant. The idea of storming out and not being able to because you can't get the microphone off is absolute comedy gold, so good you couldn't write it better. Of course it was Maurice, always the joker.  I don't think Clive said anything too bad, Barry was just ultra defensive and couldn't hack the idea of his own joke being turned around on him in a throwaway comment. Gave us one of the best flounces, either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdvfmGPDVkk

I think it was either Neil or Pricey on the Chart Music podcast who once echoed your point: the Bee Gees were happy to take the piss out of themselves, to a certain degree at least, but only on their own strictly defined terms. Strange people.

Maurice Bee Gee always came across as a nice fella, though. He's obviously not really upset at all, he seems quite bemused and amused by the flounce, but a Maurice serves no purpose without a Barry and Robin by his lukewarm water side.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Always loved that casual "I'll see ya later, Clive" when he leaves

daf

This came up in the Early Bee Gees thread a few months ago  -

According to an interview with Maurice, it seems it actually wasn't really an old group name, but an in-joke refering to a gag they pulled backstage at the Brit Awards.

QuoteMaurice : "You know, we called ourselves Les Tosseurs, you know, 'cause we put it on the Brit Awards - when we were doing the Brit Awards in London at the Earl's Court. We had dressing room things, and Elton [John] wanted a garden with his so we said, "What's going on?" They were building all afternoon with it while we were rehearsing. And then they built a whole garden with a fountain and everything for Elton and he said, "I was only joking."

"Anyway, we put on our door "Les Tosseurs As Seen On Father Ted." Just as a joke, you know, on our dressing room door. So everyone was going around saying, "Who could do that to the Bee Gees dressing room? Who put that on our door?" And everyone was getting real mad because they thought someone was taking the piss on this. And Barry said, "No, we did it." And they went, "Oh! It's very funny, isn't it?" You know? But everyone was looking around for the [bleep] who put that on our door. But that's what it's all about. It's fun. And we thought Clive was gonna be like that."

Barry's attempted gag falls flat because he hasn't thought it through - neither Clive nor the audience know about this Brits door backstory, and Barry delivers it deadpan as if it's a genuine name.

I think, going by that quote from Maurice, that they expected it to go something like this :

QuoteBarry : "Before we became the Bee Gees we were Les Tosseurs"
Clive : "What, really?"
Barry : "Ha ha no, it's just a joke Clive, you gullible chump!!"

Clive actually rescues what could have been an eggy moment of tumbleweed - they brought this stinkbomb to the show and couldn't handle it when it went off in their face!

The Culture Bunker

Must be some of that off-the-wall, edgy humour that goes over a storm on the Isle of Man.

daf

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 29, 2021, 11:52:15 PM
Maurice serves no purpose without a Barry and Robin by his lukewarm water side.

Though he did give Lulu the Clap

Echo Valley 2-6809

I thought the Clive Anderson interview was a bit shit all round really. He clearly didn't have anything insightful to ask and he didn't have the ability to change tack to defuse the obvious tension. "You'll always be Les Tosseurs to me" is a non-joke for someone who's usually quick-witted too. If Anderson knew it was a joke name then he's just repeating the joke back to them, and if he thought they really were once called that then he's making a really obvious joke that would have been done to death already by then.

That said, an over-reaction on Barry Gibb's part, but there's a bit of a Noel Edmonds vibe to him at times - he's all for a bit of wackiness, but not so much that you don't take him seriously at all. Luckily he only had Norman Gunston for 40 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcqEDiVwKCw

Echo Valley 2-6809

Thank you for that fascinating post, Echo Valley 2-6809.

The mention of Norman Gunston has reminded me of his encounter with Keith Moon, which just about fits the thread remit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IifezehtVSg

Some reckon it was all set up, but it looks more like a terminally fucked-up boor being a complete arsehole to me.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on March 31, 2021, 01:22:27 AM
Thank you for that fascinating post, Echo Valley 2-6809.

The mention of Norman Gunston has reminded me of his encounter with Keith Moon, which just about fits the thread remit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IifezehtVSg

Some reckon it was all set up, but it looks more like a terminally fucked-up boor being a complete arsehole to me.

At around the 1:18 Mark, we bear witness to a time- travelling Bridget Christie bearing witness to events. Spooky.

willbo

not a musician, but I always remember before the second series (I think) of Sherlock, Cumberbatch was on breakfast tv (I think it was ITV) and they tried to get him to put a classic style Sherlock hat on, and he obviously (I believe) didn't feel comfortable putting it on because him wearing one was about to be a surprise in the series and he didn't want to take away from the effect. So he got agitated and started pleading about how "it wasn't going to fit". He was obviously in a panic trying to figure out how to turn them down.