Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which vax?

Started by Dex Sawash, March 03, 2021, 09:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Assuming you can choose, here in America (america) you can schedule with a place that is currently using X but might be Y when they get to you. So sort of a choice.

The Johnson & Johnson single dose one is rolling out now, that sounds nice.

Does it matter?

Ferris

They all make the possibility of going to hospital and/or dying 0% so whichever one is going is the one I'll take.

From my uninformed opinion, Pfizer is the one everyone's after and people reckon the AstraZeneca one is bottom of the heap, but I honestly don't care. Dose me up, lads!

Dex Sawash

flotemysost

From the admittedly limited pool of people I know who've been vaccinated so far, the one that seems to be kicking people's arses with after-effects is the AstraZeneca.

Vaxxed with Pfizer = none the wiser
Vaxxed with Oxford = knocks yer socks off

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 04, 2021, 12:16:09 AM
Any-vaxxer

Haha. Yeah I'll be fucking overjoyed with whatever I'm offered, I'm really not fussed.

thenoise

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 03, 2021, 11:38:51 PM
They all make the possibility of going to hospital and/or dying 5% (Pfizer) / 10%-30% (Astra-Zeneza) so whichever one is going is the one I'll take.

buttgammon

I honestly don't care at this stage, because anything is better than nothing. It's all academical anyway, because living in Ireland means I'll be waiting years to get it. My in-laws are in their seventies and have comorbid conditions and not only have they not heard anything about being vaccinated, but there doesn't seem to be a prospect of them getting it soon; I'm thirty and healthy, so no chance!

Chedney Honks

My mate worked on one of them and while I was proud initially, thinking back he was a lazy cunt at uni so I just can't trust it.

shiftwork2

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 03, 2021, 11:38:51 PM
They all make the possibility of going to hospital and/or dying 0% so whichever one is going is the one I'll take.

Ferris knows.  In the future this is all anyone will remember.

Isn't it terrific, though, to see the Oxbridge lads humiliated on the world stage?  Gives me a belly laugh each day.

Dex Sawash

Signed up for the Johnson & Johnson single dose Wednesday morning.

Ferris

Quote from: thenoise on March 04, 2021, 07:47:32 AM

A 95% efficacy rate means if you're exposed, 5% chance you'll get it[nb]well actually, if 10,000 people are exposed across various demographics then only ~500 of them will test positive after exposure and you shouldn't really extrapolate those percentages back to a single person but never mind[/nb]. Some of these vaccines have a lower ~75% efficacy, so that's a 25% chance you'll get it after exposure. Either way your chance of a case is reduced by 75-95 percentage points.

My reason any old jab will do (of the ones approved anyway) is after you get it, your chance of a mild or asymptomatic case might be 5-25% depending on your vaccine, but the important bit is your chance of getting a serious case (one that puts you in a hospital or a coffin) is 0. I'm not massively arsed about a 20 percentage point increase in having a cold or symptomless case if it means my family won't die I can go back to the pub and get blitzed.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 05, 2021, 06:10:24 PM
Signed up for the Johnson & Johnson single dose Wednesday morning.

No More Tears covid

Mr Banlon

Everyone I know (five people, including myself) who had the AstraZeneca vax has had side-effects.
People I know (four people, including my mam) who had the Pfizer hasn't had side-effects.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mr Banlon on March 05, 2021, 06:51:47 PM
Everyone I know (five people, including myself) who had the AstraZeneca vax has had side-effects.
People I know (four people, including my mam) who had the Pfizer hasn't had side-effects.

Dreading getting the Oxford one.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mr Banlon on March 05, 2021, 06:51:47 PM

My parents and I all had Pfizer, and my mum.and dad both had mild side effects. Dad felt rough for several days.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 05, 2021, 06:55:35 PM
Dreading getting the Oxford one.
I was surprised how quickly the symtoms just fucked off though. Literally a day of moderately bad flu-like symtoms, then right as rain again the next day. It might have felt worse because I haven't had so much as a sniffle in over a year either.
To be fair, I've had worse hangovers that have lasted longer.

Glebe

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 03, 2021, 11:38:51 PMFrom my uninformed opinion, Pfizer is the one everyone's after and people reckon the AstraZeneca one is bottom of the heap, but I honestly don't care. Dose me up, lads!

Yeah my Sister, who works in a nursing home, has got her two does of Pfizer, while my Dad (who is 80) has got the first dose. The AstraZeneca isn't guaranteed against some of the strains or summit, amiright?

shiftwork2

Take-home: all the vaccines will save your life.  But the Oxbridge lads were too busy turning over restaurants and mocking grammar school chemists to bother with a credible regime.  Hence the pound-shop Oxford vaccine.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 05, 2021, 06:47:31 PM
No More Tears covid

I'm using that one down the vax center. I expect they'll all be shoving naughty bits in my face wondering what I am on about.

My parents both got the Pfizer one a few weeks back, and the only side effects they both had were an ever-so-slightly tender arm at the injection area for about a day.  (They said it felt less tender than it does when they get their normal flu jabs).

MojoJojo

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 05, 2021, 06:46:23 PM
A 95% efficacy rate means if you're exposed, 5% chance you'll get it

I don't think that's right - it's unclear exactly what an "exposure" is, and not every exposure will lead to an infection. There are different types of exposure and it's reasonable to assume that vaccines have different effectiveness against different types of exposure..

The 95% figure doesn't try to pick apart any of that.. It simply means your chance of getting covid is 5% of what it would have been otherwise over some period of time.

Im sorry, I don't know why Im being pedantic about it. Especially because it's me taking a narrow meaning of exposed.

BlodwynPig

Its not about the individual, its about the group - ie percent reduction in disease in a vaccinated group. So 5% of vaccinated expected to become infected.

Ferris

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 05, 2021, 10:21:13 PM
I don't think that's right - it's unclear exactly what an "exposure" is, and not every exposure will lead to an infection. There are different types of exposure and it's reasonable to assume that vaccines have different effectiveness against different types of exposure..

The 95% figure doesn't try to pick apart any of that.. It simply means your chance of getting covid is 5% of what it would have been otherwise over some period of time.

Im sorry, I don't know why Im being pedantic about it. Especially because it's me taking a narrow meaning of exposed.

That'll be why I put a footnote explaining literally exactly that directly after the text you quoted?

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 05, 2021, 10:34:59 PM
Its not about the individual, its about the group - ie percent reduction in disease in a vaccinated group. So 5% of vaccinated expected to become infected.

Blodwyn on the money as usual.

Not even joking, reading and analyzing baseball has done wonders for my understanding and practical application of statistics.

olliebean

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 05, 2021, 10:34:59 PM

Isn't it not 5% of vaccinated, but 5% of however many vaccinated would have become infected if they weren't vaccinated?

Ferris

Quote from: olliebean on March 05, 2021, 11:09:28 PM
Isn't it not 5% of vaccinated, but 5% of however many vaccinated would have become infected if they weren't vaccinated?

Per individual exposure, as far as I'm aware.

Where the fuck is buzby when you need him.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 05, 2021, 11:17:36 PM
Per individual exposure, as far as I'm aware.

Where the fuck is buzby when you need him.

in lieu of Buzby (who actually knows more than google), I've just looked it up:

QuoteVaccine efficacy refers to how well it performs in a carefully controlled trial, whereas effectiveness describes its performance in the real world. A common mistake is to interpret a 95 percent efficacy to mean you have a 5 percent chance of getting sick even if you get vaccinated.

proper link

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00075-X/fulltext

NoSleep

Quote from: flotemysost on March 04, 2021, 12:41:52 AM
From the admittedly limited pool of people I know who've been vaccinated so far, the one that seems to be kicking people's arses with after-effects is the AstraZeneca.

Felt a bit buggy now and then in the last three weeks since having it, and a small nipple has grown where I was injected on my upper arm:

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on March 06, 2021, 09:54:02 AM
Felt a bit buggy now and then in the last three weeks since having it, and a small nipple has grown where I was injected on my upper arm:

In years to come, when the vaccine has been exhausted, pilgrims will travel from across the land to suckle on the Mystical Vaccine Teat of Saint No Sleep.

shiftwork2

Come, come, Mr. Bond. You disappoint me. You get as much fulfillment out of killing as I do, so why don't you admit it?

jobotic

My folks had AstraZenica one. Father got flu symptoms but only for one night and mother was right as rain.

Anyway back to the arm nipples.