Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:20:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What was the first game you emulated?

Started by peanutbutter, March 04, 2021, 09:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmoney

I think it was probably Skool Daze, the original Bully. First 16bit game would have been WWF Royal Rumble, MegaDrive version.

El Unicornio, mang

I downloaded all the Spectrum games in this one pack (something like 1500 games) and played a few that I loved from childhood, Renegade, Back 2 Skool, Treasure Island Dizzy and Bruce Lee. Realised that my enjoyment of playing them wasn't the same when I had every game at the click of a button as it was when I'd paid 2.99 for the cassette and had to wait for it to load up, so now if I want my old game nostalgia fix I just look them up on YouTube.

St_Eddie

Quote from: gmoney on March 06, 2021, 02:56:27 PM
I think it was probably Skool Daze...

I think that was my first emulated game too.  It came on one of those legally dodgy CD-ROMs containing thousands of ZX Spectrum games that I purchased from a HMV store.

I also have memories of trying to get an N64 emulator running and the only rom which worked was a fire demo; just an image of fire burning.  Even then, I could only get 2 FPS out of it on my old rig.

Consignia

Blimey, I do remember a PC Format cover disc containing a Spectrum emulator and a ton of games. I can't remember when it came out, but I vividly remember it having Jack The Nipper on it.

In the pre-high speed internet days Cover discs were absolute boons to kids. PC Format ones especially, including the PC Format Gold edition which had 100 demos on IIRC. Some of them enough to be pretty much full games.

Probably Auf Wiedersehen Monty. This thread had made me think about different people's childhood memories of games - anything can be a classic if you play it at the right time.

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 06, 2021, 09:50:30 PMI think that was my first emulated game too.  It came on one of those legally dodgy CD-ROMs containing thousands of ZX Spectrum games that I purchased from a HMV store.

I bought one of those!
skool daze and back to skool were amazing. Me and my friend used to play those forever!

El Unicornio, mang

Loved Back 2 Skool particularly. Wasn't kissing any girls in real life so it was the next best thing

Waking Life

Back 2 Skool was a game we enjoyed on the Spectrum at the time, but I didn't enjoy it particularly when I emulated it. Maybe I just didn't get into it again. It must have been quite an achievement in its day though.

gmoney

Even though I loved Skool Daze, I've never played Back 2 Skool. I didn't even know it existed until years later. I was playing my Speccy in the 90s while everyone else had a SNES or a MegaDrive, so I just played whatever games my dad picked up from the boot sale.

Pink Gregory

The first one that I know I completed was Earthbound.  Probably poked around on a few others before starting. 

Pinball

I spent many hours on mame.dk downloading MAME roms, heh, often leaving it on overnight when dial-up no longer disconnected after an hour. I started with a mixture of NeoGeo games (as I had an MVS cab already, and the games are damn good), and classics like Phoenix. Another favourite was Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, as there was an arcade cab of that nearby, and I knew that it was noticeably better than the MegaDrive version, and I wanted the proper arcade version. Lovely cartoony game, that despite dating back to 1987 amazingly, still looks good today.

Non Stop Dancer

Aye, Wonder Boy 3 would have been an early one for me as well, along with Strider and Wardner.