Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:14:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 28, 2021, 02:28:38 PM
Nice one, thanks both!

Listening to ep 49 now... it's one I've missed! Bonus Louis/Buckles content for Ferris.

Result!

Mister Six

markburgle

Oi loiks that Theroux bit where he riffs on the behind-the-scenes wrangling leading to Buckles being the first person to release an audiobook before the physical copy.

"Buxton wants to do what?? But that's impossible!"
"We've been talking to technical and they think they can do it"
"But how??"

All in the delivery of course

thugler

Quote from: markburgle on March 30, 2021, 09:37:15 AM
Oi loiks that Theroux bit where he riffs on the behind-the-scenes wrangling leading to Buckles being the first person to release an audiobook before the physical copy.

"We've been talking to technical and they think they can do it"
"But how??"

All in the delivery of course

Loved this. At the same time it made me fear for Buxton's book, as I'd imagine everyone would want the audiobook version instead for all the jingles and the A/J extra bit. I've got no interest in a physical copy.

popcorn

Quote from: markburgle on March 30, 2021, 09:37:15 AM

One of the biggest laughs I've ever got from a podcast. The disbelieving bluster is flawless.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on March 30, 2021, 10:36:31 AM
One of the biggest laughs I've ever got from a podcast. The disbelieving bluster is flawless.

Yeah that line really got me as well.

Tried to recount it for Mrs Ferris doing my best Louis Theroux and it went down like a lead balloon. Really is in the delivery.

Edit: just thought it might also be because I'm an unfunny prick.

turnstyle

I'm assuming Buckles is currently on a break right? Not had anything pop up on the podcast app recently.

Actually, shut my mouth, there's one with Tom Allen from Sunday.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: turnstyle on March 30, 2021, 04:22:33 PM
I'm assuming Buckles is currently on a break right? Not had anything pop up on the podcast app recently.

Actually, shut my mouth, there's one with Tom Allen from Sunday.

Ooh! Looking forward to listening to this. I knew Tom from drama school many years ago, lovely chap.

bobloblaw

interviewed him recently and he was indeed lovely. His ubiquity and archness initially blinded me to his talents but he is a sharp and intelligent wordsmith. Plus he wore full dapper suit and tie for a Zoom call, which is commitment.

Not a groundbreaking ep but they had strong rapport I thought

beanheadmcginty

As someone who listens decent headphones, Buckles' "audio hugs" are as good as the real thing these days.

Cottonon

Thanks to whoever recommended the Tape Notes podcast with Buckles on. Great to hear him getting, and enjoying, the full Classic Albums/Anthology treatment (Where's My Phone Charger demo sequence anyone?). Brilliant.

Mobbd

Quote from: Cottonon on March 31, 2021, 06:56:39 AM
Thanks to whoever recommended the Tape Notes podcast with Buckles on. Great to hear him getting, and enjoying, the full Classic Albums/Anthology treatment (Where's My Phone Charger demo sequence anyone?). Brilliant.

Yes, it was superb. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't listened yet, especially if you enjoy Buckles' jingles. The Phone Charger breakdown was especially good.

After all of that wonderful early material ("Jazz Queens" was a special delight), I suppose I was hoping for some more Adam and Joe Show (C4) stuff but we skipped right off to the 6Music Days. I wonder if there is an unused chunk out there somewhere, cut for time, or if Ads doesn't enjoy going over that period. He didn't talk about it much in Ramblebook either and he's auctioning off his precious A&J bits and bobs for charity soon. Thinking about buying that hat. Think it would suit me in the bath.

Not complaining though. It was an excellent piece of work and a real treat to luxuriate in so much behind-the-scenes cleverness and personal reflection. Absolutely smashing.

Contains a Karl Pilkington anecdote too!.

McFlymo

PaulTMA

Quote from: Mobbd on March 31, 2021, 07:44:42 AM

After all of that wonderful early material ("Jazz Queens" was a special delight), I suppose I was hoping for some more Adam and Joe Show (C4) stuff but we skipped right off to the 6Music Days. I wonder if there is an unused chunk out there somewhere, cut for time, or if Ads doesn't enjoy going over that period. He didn't talk about it much in Ramblebook either and he's auctioning off his precious A&J bits and bobs for charity soon. Thinking about buying that hat. Think it would suit me in the bath.

He said somewhere his next book is focusing on A&J.  Don't know or can't remember if this means the TV show or the partnership in general.  He only touches on their actual work in Ramblebook, he talks more about their relationship and beginnings.

Have to confess I was wanting the lowdown on their work together from Ramblebook and noticed the considerable (massive) A&J-shaped hole there, but he never suggested that was a focus of the book.

Mobbd

Quote from: PaulTMA on April 01, 2021, 10:25:00 PM
He said somewhere his next book is focusing on A&J.  Don't know or can't remember if this means the TV show or the partnership in general.  He only touches on their actual work in Ramblebook, he talks more about their relationship and beginnings.

Have to confess I was wanting the lowdown on their work together from Ramblebook and noticed the considerable (massive) A&J-shaped hole there, but he never suggested that was a focus of the book.

Nice. I do hope so. I don't suppose you can remember where he said that?

The Roofdog

The Kazuo Ishiguro one didn't start off on the right foot with me because he starts by saying "I'm not really a science fiction writer because I prefer to write about <a description that describes all actual science fiction to a fucking tee>". Fucks sake man, just say you don't have a science background and leave it at that, it's fine, you think that everyone who wrote about cloning before you may as well have been writing a biochemistry textbook?

PaulTMA

Quote from: Mobbd on April 01, 2021, 11:44:48 PM
Nice. I do hope so. I don't suppose you can remember where he said that?

I think it was during the Zoom chat he did with The Idler a couple of months back.  Might be archived on their Facebook or Youtube.

easytarget

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on March 30, 2021, 05:29:32 PM
Ooh! Looking forward to listening to this. I knew Tom from drama school many years ago, lovely chap.

ok good.
I keep seeing "this FUCKING guy" show up on things and hating his fucking face and voice and point of view. BUT, you, you I like, so he he's another chance.

Jack Shaftoe

I'd never heard of Tom Allen before, he seemed like a lovely guy. Genuine oddball as a youth rather than being a bit affected for attention. The bit about his teenage butlering making a complete mess of his friend's social date then ending with him staring up at the stars and
Spoiler alert
declaring his favourite film to be Independence Day
[close]
made me do a proper lol. That might be one of my favourite podcasts of all time, in fact, up there with the Timothy Olyphant/Conan Needs A Friend one, which I regularly listen to when I need a bit of a pickup.

Mister Six

I thought the Tom Allen one was great - a really smart, thoughtful guy with some lovely stories and insights into the human condition. Wasn't expecting that at all. (EDIT: That sounds a bit nasty - I just mean that I've never heard of him, so was expecting another "Ooh, it's hard being a stand-up in lockdown" genetic waffle.)

Quote from: The Roofdog on April 04, 2021, 11:45:08 PM
The Kazuo Ishiguro one didn't start off on the right foot with me because he starts by saying "I'm not really a science fiction writer because I prefer to write about <a description that describes all actual science fiction to a fucking tee>". Fucks sake man, just say you don't have a science background and leave it at that, it's fine, you think that everyone who wrote about cloning before you may as well have been writing a biochemistry textbook?

Aye, as I said he got into a kerfuffle with Ursula K Leguin a few years back over his discomfort at calling The Buried Giant fantasy, which led to him and Neil Gaiman having a discussion for The New Statesman, and that seemed like an excellent opportunity to bring that up and discuss how much his attitude had changed (or hadn't) but it looks like Buckles was unaware of the brouhaha. Or maybe he did ask and Ishiguro didn't want to talk about it, so they. It that but. Either way that's a shame.

Mobbd

Quote from: PaulTMA on April 05, 2021, 01:10:47 AM
I think it was during the Zoom chat he did with The Idler a couple of months back.  Might be archived on their Facebook or Youtube.

I remember when that happened but I didn't watch it. Combination of it costing money and going out live at a particular time. I was hoping they'd release it like they did with their Stewart Lee one but it seems they have not (yet). Will keep an eye.

thugler

Fucking hell he wastes this Laurie Anderson interview blathering about his fucking book! He's becoming an egomaniac.

phes

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on April 05, 2021, 11:12:33 AM
I'd never heard of Tom Allen before, he seemed like a lovely guy. Genuine oddball as a youth rather than being a bit affected for attention. The bit about his teenage butlering making a complete mess of his friend's social date then ending with him staring up at the stars and
Spoiler alert
declaring his favourite film to be Independence Day
[close]
made me do a proper lol. That might be one of my favourite podcasts of all time, in fact, up there with the Timothy Olyphant/Conan Needs A Friend one, which I regularly listen to when I need a bit of a pickup.

Cheers for that. Shame it's so brief. So endearing to discover that Timothy Olyphant is basically a less angry Raylan Givens. Incredible to tell how much he brought to that role (and goggins, who would've been a 2D one episode character without his own input). I wish there was more, I haven't looked, but the 'will I be awarded a podcast of my own' bit leads me to think there won't be

Retinend

Quote from: thugler on April 05, 2021, 07:23:50 PM
Fucking hell he wastes this Laurie Anderson interview blathering about his fucking book! He's becoming an egomaniac.

I think that was because Anderson was so charmed by Adam and wanted to hear about the book.

Mobbd

Quote from: thugler on April 05, 2021, 07:23:50 PM

It was probably for about 6 minutes because she asked him two questions about it. It's a two-way conversation, remember, not an interview.

Adam steered them out of the topic of Ramblebook in a friendly and organic way.

Besides, it is always funny to hear these legends dealing with the idea of BadDad.

This was a decent episode, albeit very limited by the time available to them. She said she would come back.

I really enjoyed it. I'd not heard her talk before and was surprised by how warm and thoughtful she clearly is.

Retinend

Agreed. I expected her to be like Lou Reed in interview - gnomish and irritable, but she was just the opposite: modest, down-to-earth, spontaneous, and curious about the other person.

I found it surprising that she would feel cringey about her look as featured on the cover of Big Science, even though most would surely judge it an iconic piece of record cover art. It reminds me of how Adam is so self-critical and self-effacing, in spite of being so talented, and their sympathy in this regard made me think that her offer to appear a second time was probably genuine.

The Ombudsman

Big fan of the Adam Buxton podcast (and Adam in general). I enjoyed the Bob Mortimer one and the one with Whitehouse too. They are all worth a listen but some do stand out (Morris etc). The chap talking about feeding a tumour to a turtle was a good'ern too.

Icehaven

Quote from: The Ombudsman on April 06, 2021, 02:27:21 PM
The chap talking about feeding a tumour to a turtle was a good'ern too.

David Sedaris. I like him and have enjoyed a lot of his writing before but I can honestly say some of the stuff he came out with in this podcast (the tumor stuff and the bit about dogs eating their own eyeballs) made me feel very ill and disturbed. Not surprised Buckles put a content warning at the start, I wish I'd heeded it.