Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, it's a bit unfair to accuse Buckles of going on about his book when it was Anderson who asked him about it. He mentioned the book in passing, but she was genuinely interested in finding out more about its contents.

And I agree with what's already been said about her, she came across as a really nice, warm, interesting person. I hope she does manage to find some time for another ramblechat.

non capisco

To be fair to Buckles he managed a good five minutes before he mentioned David Bowie.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: icehaven on April 06, 2021, 02:44:28 PM
David Sedaris. I like him and have enjoyed a lot of his writing before but I can honestly say some of the stuff he came out with in this podcast (the tumor stuff and the bit about dogs eating their own eyeballs) made me feel very ill and disturbed. Not surprised Buckles put a content warning at the start, I wish I'd heeded it.

Yes, recall more of it now. That goriness and litter picking.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I really wish he'd had time to ask Anderson about one of her favourite TV programmes,
Spoiler alert
which inexplicably is the cosy Martin Clunes comedy-drama Doc Martin.
[close]

Pranet

Listened to the audio book in two days recently (minus about 25 mins I listened to the day before. But over 10 hours in two days) and I need a rest from the podcast for a bit as his voice and his jingles are permanently rattling round my head now.

Mobbd

Quote from: Pranet on April 06, 2021, 05:38:48 PM
his voice and his jingles are permanently rattling round my head now.

Round and round in their heads go the chord progressions...

(Everybody!)

Icehaven

Quote from: Cottonon on March 31, 2021, 06:56:39 AM
Thanks to whoever recommended the Tape Notes podcast with Buckles on. Great to hear him getting, and enjoying, the full Classic Albums/Anthology treatment (Where's My Phone Charger demo sequence anyone?). Brilliant.

I've just listened to that too, it was great, and I've finally been able to hear the last line of Like and Subscribe is "nice little pat with me bumsa". I've been trying to work out what the hell he was saying for months.

Pranet

Quote from: Mobbd on April 06, 2021, 05:42:30 PM
Round and round in their heads go the chord progressions...

(Everybody!)

Ha! That very one set up shop in my brain this afternoon at work.

Pranet

Quote from: icehaven on April 06, 2021, 05:43:22 PM
I've just listened to that too, it was great, and I've finally been able to hear the last line of Like and Subscribe is "nice little pat with me bumsa". I've been trying to work out what the hell he was saying for months.

When he was still on twitter at times he got a bit grumpy about people asking him what the words to Like and Subscribe are, but I've never been able to work them out either.

Mobbd

Quote from: icehaven on April 06, 2021, 05:43:22 PM

It is tricky to make out, but I think it's "nice little pat when my bum's up." Like, willing to receive praise in a small way.

Icehaven

Quote from: Mobbd on April 06, 2021, 05:53:09 PM
It is tricky to make out, but I think it's "nice little pat when my bum's up." Like, willing to receive praise in a small way.

Yep that's what he says at the end of the Tape Notes episode, and it's played without the music too so it's easier to hear. For ages I thought it was something like "nice sycophant with me, bonza."

thugler

Quote from: Mobbd on April 06, 2021, 12:42:29 PM
It was probably for about 6 minutes because she asked him two questions about it. It's a two-way conversation, remember, not an interview.

Adam steered them out of the topic of Ramblebook in a friendly and organic way.

Besides, it is always funny to hear these legends dealing with the idea of BadDad.

This was a decent episode, albeit very limited by the time available to them. She said she would come back.

I really enjoyed it. I'd not heard her talk before and was surprised by how warm and thoughtful she clearly is.

She was being very nice about it sure, but does he have to bring it up every episode. We're listening to his podcast so hearing the guest ask questions about it politely when we know all about it and may have even read the bloody thing. Starting to remind me of Herring the way he reverts to the same subjects every episode (himself and his book, bowie, and social media). My girlfriend listened with me on the strength of anderson and said he had 'boring dad syndrome'

Retinend

Jerzy Bondov

frajer

New ep with Lee Mack just released. About halfway through and it's a lovely light chat, with the added bonus of a catchy-as-fuck 8-bit remix of the Ramblechat jingle at the start.

phes

Lovely light chat with the man who brought us many series of lovely light poof jokes

frajer

Ah, don't really know much about Mack to be honest. Is he a dickhead then? Comes across alright in the pod (so far!)

phes

I very much doubt it. I suspect he's a great bunch of lads. Just found Not Going Out to be quite tiring after a while. I'm sure they'd argue that it's seen through the eyes of the character Lee and his gentle misanthropy and latent fear of anyone different or successful. The laugh track never really backed that up though and after about the thirtieth lol gay implication to riotous applause I gave up. It didn't grate a decade or so earlier with Men Behaving Badly, I guess because they were more squalid and desperate figures and it wasn't such a long running thing

McFlymo

I liked how during "Lee facts" at the start, Adam did his cheesy, bored comedian voice when pointing out Lee is also able to laugh at his new found spirituality on his new podcast.

Edit: was being a bit of a cunt about Lee Mack. S%u2019alright.

thugler

Find it funny how when celebrities 'find spirituality' or get into meditation or whatever, they always end up going via the route of paying for it.

Sonny_Jim

I'd always assumed that Lee Mack was an utter berk based on his sitcom and panel show appearances, but after listening to half the pod he seems alright.  Probably the same with Mark Lamarr, when he's not being a TV host he probably isn't a dickhead.

Not sure if it's old hat, but I thoroughly enjoyed this Taffin review Buckles did on the Smersh Pod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3hjCH24cI0

SteveDave

I always thought Laurie Anderson was French. Or European. I have no idea why.

tomasrojo

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on April 16, 2021, 08:50:35 AM

Not sure if it's old hat, but I thoroughly enjoyed this Taffin review Buckles did on the Smersh Pod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3hjCH24cI0

Is "Never mind that, concentrate on the books" not actually "Never mind that, concentrate on the boss?" Enjoyable tangent anyway.

Kind of weird they think the kids are playing football, with big sticks and helmets.

Retinend

Quote from: SteveDave on April 16, 2021, 12:35:29 PM
I always thought Laurie Anderson was French. Or European. I have no idea why.

Her artiness, probably.

Mobbd

Quote from: Cottonon on March 31, 2021, 06:56:39 AM
Thanks to whoever recommended the Tape Notes podcast with Buckles on. Great to hear him getting, and enjoying, the full Classic Albums/Anthology treatment (Where's My Phone Charger demo sequence anyone?). Brilliant.

It seems to have been taken down. It was episode 66 of Tape Notes and is currently missing. :(

A copyright claim possibly. I wonder who was the cunt. XFM? Apple? Surely something bigger than the owner of a loop. What a shame. I hope they make the all-important edit and get it back online.

Mobbd

Update: it is missing from Apple podcasts but still at the Tape Notes site.

https://tapenotes.co.uk/project/tn66-adam-buxton

Still at Acast and Spotify too.

Glad it's not gone completely. Phew.

Icehaven

phes

That section on Joe effortlessly battering Adam at the start of song wars and Adam's response being to immerse himself in furiously producing what he did is tragically hilarious. A proper barefoot toblerone low and it shows

madhair60

Does anyone have a copy of that which can be downloaded?