Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

As my username suggests, big fan of his silly voices. I always thought Yandrew was perhaps Greek?

My favourite is his London media wanker voice, you know the one

phantom_power

Ken Korda and Rambling Man are my favourite Adamisms

Pranet

Just had an email from ebay that nearly gave me a heart attack- email header was BULLDOG TOY (IN BULLYDOG TONY COSTUME FROM SNATCH PARODY) IS ALMOST YOURS.

Fuck did I bid on it when I was pissed last night?

No, on opening the email found out it was sent to me on the basis that I looked at the listing.

Never do that again ebay.

idunnosomename

200 quid! Not bad really to get with a charity donation. Still 45 min on Frog Guinan though

DrGreggles

Based on ticket numbers he's raised over £20k on the raffle alone.
Good work Buckles!

popcorn

Quote from: Pranet on May 24, 2021, 11:10:50 AM
Just had an email from ebay that nearly gave me a heart attack- email header was BULLDOG TOY (IN BULLYDOG TONY COSTUME FROM SNATCH PARODY) IS ALMOST YOURS.

Fuck did I bid on it when I was pissed last night?

No, on opening the email found out it was sent to me on the basis that I looked at the listing.

Never do that again ebay.

that's a terrible automated email. Reminds me of when I signed up for UberEats and it sent emails like "Mega Wanker Burger is arriving soon!" and it'd be like "what the fuck, did I order a Mega Wanker Burger?" and it actually meant "There's a Mega Wanker Burger opening in your delivery area soon"

MigraineBoy

The tickets I had to see him in March 2020 have just been rescheduled again - it went: May '20, Oct '20, June '21 & now Nov '21.

At this rate it'll be The Ramble Book II promo tour.

Stonefish

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 24, 2021, 10:16:01 AM

Mine too, especially duelling media wankers with Joe back in the 6 music days.

idunnosomename

It's similar to Ken Korda but distinct in its own way. I admit to stealing it occasionally

Joe Oakes

I like the voices. Hard to choose between Cilla Black and the queen, both spot-on.

Thomas

One of only two poddos[nb]the other is The Weekly Planet.[/nb] where I not only sit through the ads, but enjoy them.

MigraineBoy

Not his podcast, but he's got an interesting half hour on Radio 4 on August 1st:

MTV - A British Invention?
Adam Buxton uncovers the influence of British music videos in the early years of MTV, 40 years after the network first launched.

Going live on 1 August 1981, MTV made British new wave artists hugely popular in the USA. Duran Duran, A Flock of Seagulls, Culture Club and Billy Idol got extraordinary exposure, but those iconic videos also marked a new era of visual culture and set the blueprint for technique and creativity.

Adam speaks to pioneering music video directors who were breaking new ground in the late 70s and early 80s. Many came from art schools, were part of the underground music scene, or were starting out in the film industry - borrowing kit after work to film gigs.

We hear from Gale Sparrow who was one of MTV's first hires, and in charge of sourcing music videos for MTV's launch. She turned to British labels because they had them in ready supply. What she discovered was very different from the few American videos available - which was mostly concert footage of gnarly old rockers.

Will Fowler is curator of artists' moving image at the BFI National Archive and an expert on the burgeoning underground film scene of the late 70s and 80s. He researched and created the touring exhibition 'This is Now, Film and Video After Punk', which involved tracking down and restoring films which had never been archived. There was an explosion of artists experimenting in film and video. Some - Sophie Muller, John Maybury, John Scarlett-Davis for example - would go on to have very successful careers as music video directors. He explains how the influence of Jean Cocteau, William Burroughs, and Derek Jarman made their way onto MTV.

We also look at how British directors such as Steve Barron, Tim Pope and Annabel Jankel have had successful careers beyond the world of music videos. And how the techniques used in early videos went on to influence film and advertising.

Icehaven

Cheers for the heads up, been missing his dulcit tones and that sounds pretty good too!

Retinend

Blinder Data

Quote from: MigraineBoy on July 24, 2021, 11:14:26 AM
Not his podcast, but he's got an interesting half hour on Radio 4 on August 1st:

MTV - A British Invention?
Adam Buxton uncovers the influence of British music videos in the early years of MTV, 40 years after the network first launched.

Going live on 1 August 1981, MTV made British new wave artists hugely popular in the USA. Duran Duran, A Flock of Seagulls, Culture Club and Billy Idol got extraordinary exposure, but those iconic videos also marked a new era of visual culture and set the blueprint for technique and creativity.

Adam speaks to pioneering music video directors who were breaking new ground in the late 70s and early 80s. Many came from art schools, were part of the underground music scene, or were starting out in the film industry - borrowing kit after work to film gigs.

We hear from Gale Sparrow who was one of MTV's first hires, and in charge of sourcing music videos for MTV's launch. She turned to British labels because they had them in ready supply. What she discovered was very different from the few American videos available - which was mostly concert footage of gnarly old rockers.

Will Fowler is curator of artists' moving image at the BFI National Archive and an expert on the burgeoning underground film scene of the late 70s and 80s. He researched and created the touring exhibition 'This is Now, Film and Video After Punk', which involved tracking down and restoring films which had never been archived. There was an explosion of artists experimenting in film and video. Some - Sophie Muller, John Maybury, John Scarlett-Davis for example - would go on to have very successful careers as music video directors. He explains how the influence of Jean Cocteau, William Burroughs, and Derek Jarman made their way onto MTV.

We also look at how British directors such as Steve Barron, Tim Pope and Annabel Jankel have had successful careers beyond the world of music videos. And how the techniques used in early videos went on to influence film and advertising.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ydpl

Drygate

paddy72

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 24, 2021, 10:16:01 AM
As my username suggests, big fan of his silly voices. I always thought Yandrew was perhaps Greek?

Recently listened to Brett Anderson's insightful but hilariously pretentious memoir Afternoons With the Blinds Drawn - I would pay good money to hear Adam read that in his London media wanker voice.

MrPlugg

Adz has the Rona. Lost his sense of taste and smell.

Mister Six

Oh no, for fuck's sake. Is he vaccinated?

Haven't listened to the new one yet but it's hard to think of two comedy personas more dissimilar than Adam Buxton and Eric Andre.

Virgo76

Quote from: Drygate on August 21, 2021, 07:37:03 AM
New one up.

Never heard of the guests.

Any good?

It's alright. Split into two separate interviews.
Made me feel quite old as lots of references to music acts I've never heard of.
Good to have Buxton back though.

Mister Six

Wet Blanket

Seemed like a surprisingly low key series opener. Thought Eric Andre was genial enough but I don't share Buckles' taste in mimsy flim flam singer songwriters. It's always good to have him back nevertheless.

popcorn

Quote from: Wet Blanket on August 22, 2021, 02:51:54 PM
I don't share Buckles' taste in mimsy flim flam singer songwriters.

I realise this is unkind of me but I'm sometimes amazed at the people he gets on his show even have record deals. They seem to be completely ordinary open-mic types.

Twit 2

Icehaven

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I've not heard of her so googled, and was intrigued to see her website is phobefuckingbridger.com, which is, er, extremely reminiscent of Amanda Palmer calling herself Amandafuckingpalmer a while back. Maybe it's an homage.

Reading this thread feels like chatting to my mum or dad.

Phoebe Bridgers is huge and is far from a low key guest, she's probably one of the most acclaimed indie artists in the world at the moment, has a legion of die hard fans who know every word and has infiltrated mainstream culture with Taylor Swift and a million others being fans. She's not some two-bit cover artist.

popcorn

she is a completely ordinary open-mic type sorry it is decided.

Icehaven

Quote from: thelittlemango on August 22, 2021, 09:33:51 PM
Reading this thread feels like chatting to my mum or dad.

Phoebe Bridgers is huge and is far from a low key guest, she's probably one of the most acclaimed indie artists in the world at the moment, has a legion of die hard fans who know every word and has infiltrated mainstream culture with Taylor Swift and a million others being fans. She's not some two-bit cover artist.

So why is she copying an older artist's moniker?

AzureSky

After listening the podcast on Friday night, we watched Bad Trip last night on Netflix and it's been a long time since I laughed so much... the Talisker definitely helped, but fair play.