Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:47:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Phoebe Bridgers is very famous. She made Fleabag.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: thelittlemango on August 22, 2021, 09:33:51 PM
Reading this thread feels like chatting to my mum or dad.

Phoebe Bridgers is huge and is far from a low key guest, she's probably one of the most acclaimed indie artists in the world at the moment, has a legion of die hard fans who know every word and has infiltrated mainstream culture with Taylor Swift and a million others being fans. She's not some two-bit cover artist.

Avril Lavigne

I give in, I am very out of touch and should have heard of her and her two albums that everyone else has listened to.

Chollis

i've never heard of her either but according to google SHE IS BIG

Virgo76

Is she like Sheryl Crow then?
Actually, I'm sure Phoebe Bridgers is famous. If I start typing her name into Google, she comes up ahead of Waller-Bridge and all the other er... famous Phoebes (Dynevor? Tonkin? God! I don't know any of them either. What's wrong with me?)
At 44, I freely admit I am woefully out of touch about such things. If I can identify a song by Mika from about 2007, I feel like I am doing well. I didn't know who Eric Andre was either.
I wonder how old the average Buxton 'podcat' is? Do most of them know her?
I know her now anyway. She's the one who hates Friends.
It's probably mostly down to the 'Phoebe' thing. Monica Seles famously hates it too. As did Gunter Grass.
(Actually, I had a friend called 'Ross' who really did dislike it for that reason).

Retinend

She's a good singer-songwriter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJlR3pvgLQA
Phoebe Bridgers - Savior Complex (Official Video)  [directed by Phoebe Waller-Bridge, funnily enough]
932,301 viewsDec 8, 2020

...but at the same time I think she's a little middle-of-the-road: indie Taylor Swift, kind of.

I like Adam's taste in offbeat older music, but in this case I'm reminded of his favourite indie band from back in the Xfm days, the forgettable Spoon.

amateur

Phoebe Bridgers is quite good, Kyoto is probably her best song.

Quote from: Retinend on August 23, 2021, 08:09:19 AMI like Adam's taste in offbeat older music, but in this case I'm reminded of his favourite indie band from back in the Xfm days, the forgettable Spoon.

Steady now. Never made a bad album, Spoon.

The Roofdog

Mister Six

Why do people get so irritated by Buxton interviewing people they've never heard of, rather than viewing it as an opportunity to find out about a new (to them) musician?

Virgo76

Quote from: Mister Six on August 23, 2021, 09:45:01 AM
Why do people get so irritated by Buxton interviewing people they've never heard of, rather than viewing it as an opportunity to find out about a new (to them) musician?
Speaking for myself, it doesn't irritate me.

robhug

it doesn't matter if no-one's heard of her she's MASSIVE

I wasn't irritated by her, I just found it very dull. Buckles does seem to enjoy interviewing this sort of guest as it possibly gives him some sort of successful music career by proxy when he does it. And he's not getting Sting as a guest so he has to downgrade to someone who's willing to do it.

Retinend

FOMO and the Sour Grapes...

...is a great new band that everyone's talking about.

Mister Six

Quote from: robhug on August 23, 2021, 10:11:49 AM
it doesn't matter if no-one's heard of her she's MASSIVE

I wasn't irritated by her, I just found it very dull. Buckles does seem to enjoy interviewing this sort of guest as it possibly gives him some sort of successful music career by proxy when he does it. And he's not getting Sting as a guest so he has to downgrade to someone who's willing to do it.

Yeah, so desperate he's resorted to interviewing Paul McCartney, the sad cunt.

Or maybe he just likes her music, I dunno.

Icehaven

One of his previous podcasts with a new-ish singer/songwriter (can't remember her name) came about after his teenage son had introduced him to her music, and he also set some questions for the interview. Not that that's the only way Buckles would have heard of Phoebe Bridges of course, but he's often mentioned how his son is really into music and it's something they share, playing records for each other etc.

Edit: Think it was Laura Marling, who's been around for at least 10 years so not that new.

popcorn

I think this is one of Buckles' strengths - most of the time I've never heard of his interviewees and while I often don't come away very keen to learn more about them (tendency towards mediocre standups etc) I always enjoy his conversations.

robhug

And his podcast has been around quite a while now, there's always going to be a few less interesting ones.

I sometimes just listen to the intro and outro and the skip the middle bit as I've found some quite hard going but I owe it to Buckles to at least try

The Ombudsman

I listen to every episode and often enjoy a conversation without really knowing who the person is. It's an eye into a different world if nothing else, but it's nearly always entertaining.

SteveDave

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 23, 2021, 06:19:20 AM
Is she like Sheryl Crow then?

That's Courtney Barnett, the indie Sheryl Crow. Or the indie Catchphrase contestant- she sings what she sees!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Because it means they're getting old.

Mister Six

For me, it's part of the appeal of the show - unless it's someone I'm massively invested in, I'd much rather hear from a person I don't know at all than someone I'm kind of familiar with.

phes

Quote from: icehaven on August 23, 2021, 11:34:10 AM
One of his previous podcasts with a new-ish singer/songwriter (can't remember her name) came about after his teenage son had introduced him to her music, and he also set some questions for the interview. Not that that's the only way Buckles would have heard of Phoebe Bridges of course, but he's often mentioned how his son is really into music and it's something they share, playing records for each other etc.

Edit: Think it was Laura Marling, who's been around for at least 10 years so not that new.

Great, a new generation of Buxtons to bore us to tears with their radio 6 fare.

Avril Lavigne

Because of people posting irritating shit like this...

Quote from: thelittlemango on August 22, 2021, 09:33:51 PM
Reading this thread feels like chatting to my mum or dad.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 23, 2021, 01:00:01 PM
Because it means they're getting old.

I'm not irritated in the slightest by the interview itself or the existence thereof, it's these snide you're-not-in-the-cool-club remarks that get my goat when I'm 12 beers into the fuck-you-zone.

Avril Lavigne

I felt it worth mentioning that I had drank 12 beers and that's why my posts were more belligerent than usual.

Avril Lavigne

Also I'm an alcoholic which is as cool as it gets

Mobbd

Quote from: Mister Six on August 23, 2021, 04:16:55 PM
For me, it's part of the appeal of the show - unless it's someone I'm massively invested in, I'd much rather hear from a person I don't know at all than someone I'm kind of familiar with.

Happy either way personally. Willing to trust that Buckles has brought someone worth listening to into our lives.

Also worth remembering that there are guests who Olds like me have "heard of" who we still aren't particularly bothered about hearing from. While my heart leaps for, say, Louie or Joe or Stewart Lee, I'd rather have an unknown than, say, Torville and Dean or that baldy wanted-to-be-a-butler guy. And even those ones had their moments.

I didn't know Dianne Fleschman before the pod or Michael Scott Moore but those were cracking eps. I intend to read The Desert and the Sea.

Icehaven

I only started listening to the podcast about a year ago so I first went through them listening to everyone I already knew and liked, then the ones I'd heard of but wasn't overly bothered about, then the ones I'd not heard of but sounded interesting, then finally the ones I hadn't heard of, didn't sound that interesting to me and I was just listening for Adam rather than the guest (I think Candice Carty-Williams was last one I listened to.)

Now I'm all caught up I'll listen to them as they're released regardless of who the guest is unless it's someone I both actively hate and I also can't stand their voice, which he's so far managed to avoid (although that's quite a small pool of people, and I'm reasonably sure my GCSE French teacher isn't going to turn up.)

Johnboy

Can't say I'm a big fan of the pre and post chat waffle, I prefer the chat itself, whoever it's with.