Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:36:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

People seem to pluck the Torvill and Dean one out as the prime example of a bad/wrong/boring one - but I thought it was really good. I tend to skip the musician ones though, to be honest (although Paul McCartney was great value).

Pranet

Interesting you say that about the T&D episode. I've never listened to it because people on here said it is rubbish, but thinking about it, people on here are idiots. So perhaps I should.

gilbertharding

I've just noticed I said it was really good. Perhaps I should say pretty interesting. It's better than 'not bad'... I dunno. It's hard to pitch.

I did try to listen to Twiggy's podcast - she had Buckles on as a guest. Now that was bad (which was a shame).

Mobbd

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 24, 2021, 05:11:54 PM
People seem to pluck the Torvill and Dean one out as the prime example of a bad/wrong/boring one - but I thought it was really good. I tend to skip the musician ones though, to be honest (although Paul McCartney was great value).

Sorry for plucking that one out, it was a bit lazy of me and it crossed my mind at the time to do better but I... didn't. But you know what I mean. It was certainly an interesting episode in the main (though I got a bit of a chill at the very end when Deano mentioned the Queen and Prince Phil in a sick-makingly adoring way). My point was that they were (a) someone I was aware of and (b) not someone I was particularly hoping to hear from. As a contrast to someone new or someone already in my favour. You know!

amateur

Quote from: Pranet on August 24, 2021, 05:17:31 PM
Interesting you say that about the T&D episode. I've never listened to it because people on here said it is rubbish, but thinking about it, people on here are idiots. So perhaps I should.

Same reason you shouldn't really believe one star reviews online, they're usually written by the kind of people you'd cross the street to avoid.

Agree with skipping the pre/post chat, same as WTF, very little to be gained.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mobbd on August 24, 2021, 06:02:29 PM
Sorry for plucking that one out, it was a bit lazy of me and it crossed my mind at the time to do better but I... didn't. But you know what I mean. It was certainly an interesting episode in the main (though I got a bit of a chill at the very end when Deano mentioned the Queen and Prince Phil in a sick-makingly adoring way). My point was that they were (a) someone I was aware of and (b) not someone I was particularly hoping to hear from. As a contrast to someone new or someone already in my favour. You know!

Hey - fair enough - I wasn't singling you out. I was going to say I had no interest in listening to the one with Jackie Weaver for the same reason, but then I realised that was a Richard Herring podcast. On the other hand, I might very well listen to an interview with Jackie Weaver if it was an Adam Buxton one.

Yeah - you'll note I've revised my opinion on the T&D one (which was based on my memory of listening to it when it came out) from 'very good' to 'acceptable, quite interesting'.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 25, 2021, 09:59:43 AM
I was going to say I had no interest in listening to the one with Jackie Weaver for the same reason, but then I realised that was a Richard Herring podcast. On the other hand, I might very well listen to an interview with Jackie Weaver if it was an Adam Buxton one.

That might possibly be the worst podcast I've ever listened to. Like just going to a random house on your street and asking someone about their job.

Mobbd

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on August 25, 2021, 09:51:11 PM
That might possibly be the worst podcast I've ever listened to. Like just going to a random house on your street and asking someone about their job.

I couldn't bring myself to watch or listen to that one. After several wobbles and half-watches and benefits-of-the-doubts and spaffings of goodwill, this was the first time I didn't even click play.

Mobbd

Back to Buckles, I enjoyed the latest. The section with Andre was a little bit business-as-usual rather than the deep dives and magic chemistry that makes a great episode, but it was still good. Bridgers was just adorable. Not the kind of musician I seek out but it was informative and I liked her observational comedy about iPhone behaviour (drafting texts etc) and her unasked-for hating on Friends.

I also appreciate Adam's attempts to make the show into a different format. I think he wants to get away from straight interviews by bringing in more variety, different sonic spaces etc, and that he always did. He's questioning the supremacy of the two-people-chatting format and, though I enjoy that format and understand that it reigns supreme for a reason, I think it's awesome that he's pushing against the boundaries of it a bit.

sutin

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on August 25, 2021, 09:51:11 PM

Yes, i've listened to every episode of RHLSTP and that one was easily the all-time worst (a title previously held by the excruciatingly dull and smug hosts of the 'Answer Me This' podcast). Imagine hitting 'stop' and thinking that was okay to release.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: sutin on August 26, 2021, 10:06:46 PM
(a title previously held by the excruciatingly dull and smug hosts of the 'Answer Me This' podcast)

Agh, I'd forgotten about that one. Several years ago I used to listen to Answer Me This pretty regularly until the podcast landscape broadened a bit more and I started to realise I couldn't stand those people and had been listening mostly due to a lack of choice.

sutin

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on August 26, 2021, 10:29:24 PM
Agh, I'd forgotten about that one. Several years ago I used to listen to Answer Me This pretty regularly until the podcast landscape broadened a bit more and I started to realise I couldn't stand those people and had been listening mostly due to a lack of choice.

I listened to about 20 episodes of Answer Me This when, like you said, there wasn't as many podcasts around. But fuck they're annoying and boring.

Ferris

Rich catching strays in this thread.

He's a good lad and I like what he does (I gave him a quid a month for years) but he doesn't half publish some shite, bless him.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on August 26, 2021, 10:29:24 PM

Thought I'd check to see if Answer Me This was still going and weirdly it put out its final episode 3 weeks ago after 14 years.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: The Roofdog on August 27, 2021, 09:27:04 PM
Thought I'd check to see if Answer Me This was still going and weirdly it put out its final episode 3 weeks ago after 14 years.

I hope not having to do a podcast on the regs anymore leads them to become less like the kind of people I would actively avoid at parties held in student accomodation.

Virgo76

Author Isabella Allende this week.
A minor point perhaps but he sort of gave the impression in the intro that her cousin Salvador Allende took over Chile in the 1973 coup when he was in fact overthrown in it.

selectivememory

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 28, 2021, 08:08:50 PM
A minor point perhaps but he sort of gave the impression in the intro that her cousin Salvador Allende took over Chile in the 1973 coup when he was in fact overthrown in it.

They do talk about the coup a little in the episode, I think he just fumbled his intro.

Not actually come across her or her work before, but it's a great episode. Really interesting chat, and she seems to be on Buckles' wavelength humour-wise.

turnstyle

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 25, 2021, 09:59:43 AM
the one with Jackie Weaver for the same reason, but then I realised that was a Richard Herring podcast.

Have to know, has she ever tried to suck her own cock?

Cold Meat Platter

Mister Six

Quote from: Mobbd on September 01, 2021, 12:47:35 PM
Haha. "Hello, Successfriends."

Genuinely wondered if this was the inspiration until he started talking about recipes.

Enjoying the Andre pod. Impressed with the musical ads, too. Wonder how long he can keep that up though - even if he is a musical Ad.

Icehaven

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 28, 2021, 08:08:50 PM

He also said Chile is on the east coast of South America when it's on the west.

chveik

i don't usually listen to this but the Allende interview popped in my soundcloud feed. i thought it was nice, a bit too biography-based for me though

Virgo76

Sarah Silverman this time.
Pretty good although Buxton went off the  boil a bit towards the end with some surprisingly lavatorial questions. He expressed some regret over this afterwards and blamed himself for drinking a cognac during the recording.
Still pretty good though.
Surprised she didn't know what a 'bellend' was.

amateur

He's far too fond of that sort of humour, which is another thing public school has a lot to answer for.

Jerzy Bondov

I went to a comprehensive and i think poo and wee is funny

Icehaven

No mention of the Tommy Tiernan one in between?! Come on, I'm relying on this thread to let me know when there's new ones as I'm too useless to keep track myself.