Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:59:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 27, 2021, 02:09:53 PM
There was a time when Vic/Jim would come across as a bit up himself in interviews, a bit of a smug know-it-all - Wasn't in on RHLSTP where he was half cut and slurring his words?

Bob touched on this in his first RHLSTP - he said Jim's very shy, which can make him come across as aloof and up himself.

I think in this Buxton interview he was really relaxed - first time I've heard him like this, it's great.

The Ombudsman

I enjoyed the Vic episode. I think perhaps his ease was partly down to having the interview at his home. There is a difference between the Zoom chats and in person ones. Hope he manages to get out and do a few more in person interviews.

I guess perhaps he's listened to the Bob ones so knew it would be a relaxed affair.

phantom_power

Adam is also really good at putting his interviewees at ease. It is an under-rated skill in an interviewer

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The latest episode is a good 'un. I'm not familiar with the work of comedian Lauren Pattison, but I liked her: a nice, sharp, funny person. The second guest, folk musician Sam Lee, was only on for about ten minutes, but his a cappella singing was rather beautiful and haunting. An unexpected detour.

Mobbd

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 05, 2021, 09:48:02 PM
The latest episode is a good 'un. I'm not familiar with the work of comedian Lauren Pattison, but I liked her: a nice, sharp, funny person. The second guest, folk musician Sam Lee, was only on for about ten minutes, but his a cappella singing was rather beautiful and haunting. An unexpected detour.

So... you had your assumptions bumptioned?

Sam Lee is precisely the sort of thing I would normally avoid on grounds of being twee, but since he was on this show (and I am a devoted quartermaster) I gave him the time and felt very moved, almost overwhelmed, by what he was doing. Also, that wood pigeon jingle Adam made was adorable and hilarious. I might loop it.

Sam's resignation towards the nightingale's pending extinction felt a bit bleak though. Seemed a bit cold, especially given the nature of his work. Then again, if that's the fact then that's the fact.

Lauren was nice enough and I admire her honesty about currently working in a supermarket. I think most comics would feel deep shame at resorting to that and almost certainly attempt to hide it or at least keep those two areas of life hermetically separate.

The conversation did unfortunately feel like he was interviewing a regular civilian rather than a comic though; she didn't have a particularly unusual insight into anything let alone a comedic one. Feel bad saying that because I think she is a lovely person.

frajer

Quote from: Mobbd on October 06, 2021, 01:18:02 PM
The conversation did unfortunately feel like he was interviewing a regular civilian rather than a comic though; she didn't have a particularly unusual insight into anything let alone a comedic one. Feel bad saying that because I think she is a lovely person.

Just listened to this and feel the same. The chat focused almost exclusively on everyday mundane stuff in a way that felt like overhearing two friends having a pleasant catch-up but it never really got going, did it.

Also the "what silly stuff do you Google" segment in the back-half felt like it lasted a painfully long time as neither Pattison or Buxton had any particularly funny answers. But yeah Pattison is clearly a good egg!

SteveDave

Quote from: The Ombudsman on September 29, 2021, 09:09:19 AM
I enjoyed the Vic episode. I think perhaps his ease was partly down to having the interview at his home. There is a difference between the Zoom chats and in person ones. Hope he manages to get out and do a few more in person interviews.

I guess perhaps he's listened to the Bob ones so knew it would be a relaxed affair.

He (Jim/Vic) is really good on Jools and Jim's Joyride. I suppose it's because he's nominally in control of the show and he's only interviewing people he knows/wants to speak to. I wish some of those podcasts were longer as they rarely get over 30 minutes. The fake adverts they do are great too.

Pranet

I saw Sam Lee (with a band) about 5 years ago at End of the Road. I didn't know anything about him before- I only went to see him because I happened to see him interviewed that morning and he interested me- but he blew my socks off, he was incredible. Being crap I've not really followed that up, except to notice that he turns  up on the radio now and again- he did a thing about the Thames on Radio 4 recently.

I got hit on the head this afternoon by a packet of Tangfastics thrown by Mr Buxton.

Mobbd

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on October 12, 2021, 10:57:47 PM
I got hit on the head this afternoon by a packet of Tangfastics thrown by Mr Buxton.

Nobody cares about your filthy sex stories.

What happened and was it fun?

Quote from: Mobbd on October 12, 2021, 11:22:52 PM
Nobody cares about your filthy sex stories.

What happened and was it fun?

It was at Cheltenham Literature Festival and the cheeky scamp was lobbing mini packs into the audience. The missus caught one packet and the next bounced off my head, prompting Adam to say "This guy doesn't even like Tangfastics."

He was very entertaining, as was Bob Mortimer an hour later. A very enjoyable afternoon.

Chriddof

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on October 12, 2021, 11:49:38 PM
The missus caught one packet and the next bounced off my head, prompting Adam to say "This guy doesn't even like Tangfastics."

I'm imagining him saying that in his Queen / Cilla voice.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: frajer on September 27, 2021, 02:01:42 PM
Just finished that myself, it is lovely and funny. Vic's guesses as to how Adam's son deployed his swearing at the dinner table made me cackle.
I was a bit worried as he began his anecdote about being at Jeff Beck's wedding that it was just going to be an exercise in name-dropping. But the twin pay-offs were well worth it. Funniest thing I've heard in years.

gilbertharding

I like the new Yandrew advert. It's OK to say that, right?

Retinend

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 23, 2021, 09:27:28 AM
I really like Silverman, she's moved on from her (slightly too long) shock period ...

I agree that her standup was a bit too desperate to shock, but that said, this period of her career includes The Sarah Silverman Program, which is one of my favourite sitcoms ever. I highly recommend it.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: SteveDave on October 06, 2021, 02:35:09 PM
He (Jim/Vic) is really good on Jools and Jim's Joyride. I suppose it's because he's nominally in control of the show and he's only interviewing people he knows/wants to speak to. I wish some of those podcasts were longer as they rarely get over 30 minutes. The fake adverts they do are great too.

Thanks for the recommendation of this. I had no idea it existed. Some lovely anecdotes (if Jim's are also all true then the universe must have deliberately intervened to create Vic and Bob) and it's actually quite nice that one of my podcasts isn't over 2 hours long per episode.

Mobbd

Quote from: __steve__ on October 19, 2021, 01:20:16 PM
New Buckles episode. David Sedaris returns.

Yay!

I like Sedaris quite a bit and his turtle story last time was delightful.

Twit 2

Sedaris is a great guest. Loved his Peter's Mad Thought re: Auschwitz

turnstyle

I was APPALLED by Sedaris and his approach to personal hygiene, but when he told the story of the kids and the rubbish, and his request of the man with the car, I decided this is a man I would die for, mucky mitts or not.

turnstyle

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 20, 2021, 05:48:48 PM
Sedaris is a great guest. Loved his Peter's Mad Thought re: Auschwitz

Yes, great stuff.

Reminded me of that old gag 'My grandfather died in a Nazi concentration camp. He fell out of a guard tower.'

Twit 2

Quote from: turnstyle on October 20, 2021, 06:50:16 PM
I was APPALLED by Sedaris and his approach to personal hygiene, but when he told the story of the kids and the rubbish, and his request of the man with the car, I decided this is a man I would die for, mucky mitts or not.

There's a great story in "Me Talk Pretty One Day" about being on the Paris Metro and some gauche American tourists, assuming Sedaris is French, start talking about his BO loudly. There's more to it than that, but his hygiene + withering contempt for rude people is a big feature of that one.

Yea the stories about being insulted by children and requesting they be killed ('and he didn't do it') and Buxton insanely saying to the child 'your dad's nice isn't he?' were great.

spaghetamine

I must admit I had never heard of Sedaris prior to this but he came across as a thoroughly amusing and likable guy, interesting to hear his distaste for the word queer as an identity label - think it was fair game for Buckles to point out that Sedaris's examples were the exception rather than the rule though

Pink Gregory

If you go on Fourble you can find four episodes of a Radio 4 programme 'Meet David Sedaris' which are basically the man himself doing readings.

The Bumlord

So is Sedaris constantly wandering around stinking of unwashed arse and armpit? Deserves abuse for that imho

Icehaven

Quote from: Utterdrivel on October 21, 2021, 04:57:39 PM
So is Sedaris constantly wandering around stinking of unwashed arse and armpit? Deserves abuse for that imho

Well he goes about litter picking and admits he could go 20 years without washing his hands, so quite possibly.

I really like listening to Sedaris talk and find him entertaining, but sometimes I think he comes across like that mate who is always trying to shock you by delivering outrageous opinions in a nonchalant way in order to get attention. When someone so actively must go against the grain so often I'm usually turned off as I think it's a bit try hard, but Sedaris seems to have something genuine about him that bypasses that.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: spaghetamine on October 21, 2021, 11:56:19 AM
I must admit I had never heard of Sedaris prior to this but he came across as a thoroughly amusing and likable guy, interesting to hear his distaste for the word queer as an identity label - think it was fair game for Buckles to point out that Sedaris's examples were the exception rather than the rule though

Yea dragged sedaris from going into proper old man moan territory there

Pink Gregory

He is a genuine eccentric, you have to give him that.  It's what makes his writing so good, it's so uncynical in it's oddness.