Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Excellent news, thanks DCT.

I also now have four episodes kindly donated by madhair, so it would be great to have a good chunk of this archived.

Retinend

Likewise - please PM me if you can get me the Shock Videos in circulation for the archive. I had them, but my harddrive died.

madhair60

Phil_A

Also been digging around in some old DVDrs and I've found what looks like a complete run of unedited 6Music shows from 2011 (and a handful from 2007), would you be interested in those as well Retinend?

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on March 20, 2021, 08:11:40 PM
Currently converting a 3 hour tape of Shock Video to digital...

"If I see one more nipple I think I'll be violently sick all over the voiceover booth....MAKE IT STOP PLEASE MAKE IT STOP...my life is being destroyed by this SHITTY programme"

"LADYBOLLOCKS AH....Meanwhile"

"My sexy feeling is going away and being replaced with fear."

"My Chris Tarrant impression is pretty good, don't you think?"
"No."

"YOUR FRIENDS DON'T KNOW SHIT FROM SHINOLA YOU LITTLE PRAT"

It's very odd to watch this with the awareness that this is 20 years old.

You beauty. Please count me in on any and all Shock Video PM action!

dr_christian_troy

So the tape had two and a half episodes on it, and then is followed by some odd shite from Men & Motors. Not too bad then! I'm still figuring out the VHS tech so it's currently 4gb, so once I've sorted it out I'll let you know.

pk1yen

Also interested in the Shock Video (and the odd shite from Men & Motors ... )

*raised hand*  Me also please thankyou  *puts hand down again*

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm feeling a bit shit at the moment, so I decided to lift my meagre spirits by listening again to episode #29, the one in which Louis
Spoiler alert
sings Yes Sir, I Can Boogie in his ridiculous falsetto.
[close]

It never fails to make me laugh like a twat, but I just love their rapport in general. I'd forgotten about the very funny bit earlier in the episode where Buckles
Spoiler alert
affectionately mocks Louis for his detached and 'robotic' interviewing style: "Meaning? Who was that man you were speaking to? Where are you going to now?" To which Louis deadpans, "You mean, 'Why is there water coming from your eyes?', that sort of thing?"
[close]

Louis is such a funny fella.

Ferris

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 27, 2021, 07:10:45 PM
I'm feeling a bit shit at the moment, so I decided to lift my meagre spirits by listening again to episode #29, the one in which Louis
Spoiler alert
[close]

It never fails to make me laugh like a twat, but I just love their rapport in general. I'd forgotten about the very funny bit earlier in the episode where Buckles
Spoiler alert
affectionately mocks Louis for his detached and 'robotic' interviewing style: "Meaning? Who was that man you were speaking to? Where are you going to now?" To which Louis deadpans, "You mean, 'Why is there water coming from your eyes?', that sort of thing?"
[close]

I really enjoyed his audiobook Gotta Get Theroux This, once it got past the early life/school stuff. Worth a shout if you're a fan of Louis.

It's very good, yes, I enjoyed reading it over Christmas. He's commendably honest about his various foibles.

non capisco

Have you heard his episode of Off Menu, Ballad? Another podcast appearance where he gives his goofy side free reign.

I have not, but I'll listen to it now. Thank you!

I know we've all said this before, but I now find it quite difficult to watch Louis' resolutely serious documentaries about terribly sad things, not because of the subject matter, but because I'm all too aware that Louis is a very funny, silly person underneath that implacable surface demeanour.

"As I left John's crack den for the final time, my thoughts turned to camp Eurodisco hits from the 1970s."

lankyguy95

Spoiler alert
[close]

Spoiler alert
[close]

I did exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago; the same episode, just because I needed a little lift.

The two of them are my favourite podcast pairing.

Avril Lavigne

I'm feeling a bit shit at the moment

If it helps at all BBB, I think you're fucking ace, you have great taste and your posts never disappoint.

Thank you, Avril, what a lovely thing to say. I appreciate it.

Quote from: non capisco on March 27, 2021, 08:05:53 PM
Have you heard his episode of Off Menu, Ballad? Another podcast appearance where he gives his goofy side free reign.

That was great, non capisco, ta for the recommendation! Louis talking nonsense in a genteel Texan accent is inherently amusing.

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 27, 2021, 08:55:37 PM
The two of them are my favourite podcast pairing.

The dream team. It's always so cheering whenever a new Theroux episode pops up.

Dyl Spinks

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 27, 2021, 10:13:33 PM
That was great, non capisco, ta for the recommendation! Louis talking nonsense in a genteel Texan accent is inherently amusing.

The dream team. It's always so cheering whenever a new Theroux episode pops up.

Damn right. I agree; always love listening to that duo.

The one a year-ish ago(?) wherein they discussed Marky Mark's daily routine killed me.

Mister Six

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on March 20, 2021, 08:11:40 PM
Currently converting a 3 hour tape of Shock Video to digital...

"If I see one more nipple I think I'll be violently sick all over the voiceover booth....MAKE IT STOP PLEASE MAKE IT STOP...my life is being destroyed by this SHITTY programme"

"LADYBOLLOCKS AH....Meanwhile"

"My sexy feeling is going away and being replaced with fear."

"My Chris Tarrant impression is pretty good, don't you think?"
"No."

"YOUR FRIENDS DON'T KNOW SHIT FROM SHINOLA YOU LITTLE PRAT"

It's very odd to watch this with the awareness that this is 20 years old.

Ooh, fantastic. Hope I can check it out.

Quote from: popcorn on March 06, 2021, 06:12:16 PM
Also interesting to hear the call-ins, as their audience seems to have been a lot more working class on XFN than it was on 6Music, and maybe it's just me but you can sense a bit of a culture clash.

On RHLSTP, Adam Buxton admitted that some of the XFM callers were actually their mates pretending to be listeners, as no one would call in. They then had to stop doing that at the BBC due to stricter guidelines.

That said, I sincerely hope that Pete was real (skip to 3:23):

https://youtu.be/zNcPFii0nao

NoOffenceLynn

Spoiler alert
[close]

Spoiler alert
[close]

Yeah, l've been going back to watch old my all comedy favourites lately to get through lockdown, glad this gave your spirits a bit of a lift and hope you're feeling better soon.

non capisco

The biggest Louis/Buckles delight aside from 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie' was that episode where they riff on the vocal fry of US podcast hosts and how the bloke who narrated 'S-Town' always sounded like he was about to burst into tears at the end of every sentence. I was so gratified someone else had noticed the latter as it drove me mad listening to that series.

lankyguy95

^
And then they started doing impressions of the engineer.

"That was great, Louis. Can we get one more for safety?"

popcorn

Quote from: non capisco on March 28, 2021, 11:42:41 AM
The biggest Louis/Buckles delight aside from 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie' was that episode where they riff on the vocal fry of US podcast hosts and how the bloke who narrated 'S-Town' always sounded like he was about to burst into tears at the end of every sentence. I was so gratified someone else had noticed the latter as it drove me mad listening to that series.

Yes, that's possibly my favourite ever Adam Buxton Podcast moment. I've found those This American Life podcasts uncanny and frustrating for years and they managed to perfectly identify exactly why.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on March 28, 2021, 12:38:29 PM
Yes, that's possibly my favourite ever Adam Buxton Podcast moment. I've found those This American Life podcasts uncanny and frustrating for years and they managed to perfectly identify exactly why.

His Squarespace ads taking the piss out of what's his name from The Daily is also brilliant. Note-perfect satire, while also functioning as an advert.

Quote from: non capisco on March 28, 2021, 11:42:41 AM

Any idea what ep this was? I have no memory of it and think maybe there's a Louis/Adam podcast I missed?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 28, 2021, 02:17:27 PM
Any idea what ep this was? I have no memory of it and think maybe there's a Louis/Adam podcast I missed?

Episode 29 I believe, about an hour in.

EDIT: Oops, misread. 29 is where the Boogie riff is featured.

lankyguy95

Episode 49. It's in the second half of the podcast I think.