Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pathetic 1% pay rise for NHS staff in England

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 05, 2021, 05:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

It won't be 5%, then the rest of us public service cunts who've worked all the way through the pandemic will start to question the 0% we've been generally afforded.

I'm not comparing my job to one in the NHS frontline btw, more like a shopworker (who will also be getting fuck all on the whole).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on March 06, 2021, 06:35:52 PM
It's essentially saying that if the government applies consistency with what they mean by "1%", then the NHS pay rise will be at least 14%. Because that's the minimum number of contracts not published at the time they said they'd published 99%.

Contracts? 99%?

votestuffer

Quote3 days after the High Court ruled Government had acted unlawfully by failing to publish Covid contracts, Boris Johnson stood up in the House of Commons and reassured MPs and the public that all Covid-related contracts were "on the record". However, the final Order handed down by the Judge today shows that what the Prime Minister told the House was not true.

The Judge confirmed:

"The Defendant has published 608 out of 708 relevant contracts for supplies and services relating to COVID-19 awarded on or before 7 October 2020. In some or all of these cases, the Defendant acted unlawfully by failing to publish the contracts within the period set out in the Crown Commercial Service's Publication of Central Government Tenders and Contracts: Central Government Transparency Guidance Note (November 2017)."

Remarkably, the Judge's Order is based on Government's own figures – so at the same time as Johnson was falsely reassuring MPs, Government lawyers were preparing a statement contradicting him – revealing 100 contracts and dozens of Contract Award Notices were missing from the public record. You can read the final Court Order here and consequential judgment in full here.

Over the course of our judicial review, Government made no less than four attempts to provide an accurate witness statement setting out the number of contracts and Contract Award Notices that had been published late – and they kept getting it wrong. As late as the hearing itself, they said they had published 28% of Contract Award Notices within the 30 day legal limit.

But when asked by the Judge to follow up with evidence of the figures so he could make his final Order, it transpired that Government had actually only published 3% of CANs in the legal timeframe.

Government has not only misled Parliament and placed inaccurate information before the Court, it has misled the country.

Unless contract details are published they cannot be properly scrutinised – there's no way of knowing where taxpayers' money is going and why. Billions have been spent with those linked to the Conservative Party and vast sums wasted on PPE that isn't fit for purpose.

We have a Government, and a Prime Minister, contemptuous of transparency and apparently allergic to accountability. The very least that the public deserves now is the truth.

Thank you,

Jolyon Maugham
Director of Good Law Project

Sorry to derail the thread - I thought everyone knew about this.

eta links

BlodwynPig

Yes, thanks. But didnt know you were referring to this in your post.

Ps. We'll be getting audited soon

poo

timebug

Fucking insult. The bastards behind it ought to try working in a Hospital for a week.

Pink Gregory

so should every cunt saying that nurses are well paid and can't manage their finances.

Blue Jam

Quote from: jobotic on March 06, 2021, 08:04:05 PM
It won't be 5%, then the rest of us public service cunts who've worked all the way through the pandemic will start to question the 0% we've been generally afforded.

Life scientist here (postdoc, dementia researcher). Pay freeze for me too, following ten years of below inflation pay rises. Woo-hoo!

I may be starting some actual Covid research soon. It's all hands on deck with regards to Covid and that's where all the money is now. Important stuff too but do I feel valued? Do I fuck. I went into life science partly because I had a real need to do something useful with my life but I'd be lying if I said I don't ever wonder why the fuck I bother. Why us scientists, us nerdy killjoys stopping everyone going to the pub (we'd love to go to the pub too you know), us "experts" everyone has had enough of, shouldn't just put down our pipettes and leave all these lazy whining bastards to fucking sort things out themselves.

The nurses should all quit and take the vaccine stash with them.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 08, 2021, 01:47:05 AM
Life scientist here (postdoc, dementia researcher). Pay freeze for me too, following ten years of below inflation pay rises. Woo-hoo!

I may be starting some actual Covid research soon. It's all hands on deck with regards to Covid and that's where all the money is now. Important stuff too but do I feel valued? Do I fuck. I went into life science partly because I had a real need to do something useful with my life but I'd be lying if I said I don't ever wonder why the fuck I bother. Why us scientists, us nerdy killjoys stopping everyone going to the pub (we'd love to go to the pub too you know), us "experts" everyone has had enough of, shouldn't just put down our pipettes and leave all these lazy whining bastards to fucking sort things out themselves.

The nurses should all quit and take the vaccine stash with them.

We're working with some academics at Edinburgh now, but on the wastewater/stats/modelling side, so I'm not sure you'll be doing lab stuff on that side, but would be fun if you were involved.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA health minister has defended the proposed 1% pay rise for NHS staff in England, saying "nurses are well-paid for the job".

Lord Bethell praised the "heroics" of health workers during the pandemic, but said they had secure jobs that many people would "envy"

What a cock. Do most jobs involve being responsible for peoples lives every day, or having to spend 12 hours on a ward full of sick people who might make you seriously ill? If people envy how secure nursing jobs are, the answer is to make all jobs secure.

Nurses don't get £300 per day just for turning up like members of the House of Lords do.

BlodwynPig

Quotesecure jobs that many people would "envy"

what the hell? have we descended so far?

Zetetic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 05, 2021, 05:17:28 PM

*and everywhere else. Not sure what is happening re pay for healthcare workers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
In theory they can decide their own pay deals, and they have made different decisions for the lowest paid in the past.

However, because England's decisions so massively determine the UK healthcare labour market and directly affect the block grants available to every other country, they generally have to follow England's decisions.

There's practically almost no way for any of the other countries to fund an NHS-wide pay rise (noting that this compounds into the future) without England's say-so. Pay is the vast majority of NHS spend and NHS spend is by far the largest part of each country's block grant.[nb]Off the top of my head. I might turn out to be wrong for Scotland...[/nb]

(But also almost no way for them to choose to use the consequentials from any pay-rise in England for a different purpose without massive political and practical problems. The London allowance is bad enough...)

Having said that, Welsh Government/Labour is briefing "no ceiling", so perhaps I'll be surprised.

I do appreciate you emphasising the distinction in this case Fambo, but I also think that the impact of England's decisions in this case on the rest of the UK should be more clearly brought out by the BBC, Guardian etc. (I am truly difficult to please.)

Zetetic

Quote from: GMTV on March 05, 2021, 08:34:12 PM
Whereas that money could be going to key workers.
Given that all of that money was borrowed by the government from a combination of itself and the yawning void (with no serious risk of inflation even arguable in this case, given the circumstances), it's pretty hard to argue it's a genuine budgetary tradeoff.

Fambo Number Mive

I note the news is reporting that some Track and Trace consultants are being paid £6600 a day. So we can afford that but can't afford a 12.5% pay rise for NHS staff in England?