Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:09:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Loop Games (the new Strand Games?)

Started by brat-sampson, March 05, 2021, 06:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brat-sampson

Loop games! They're all the rage these days! Don't believe me?

Plus Gnosia, wot I spoke about in my other thread, also based around LOOPS.

I think the first Loop game I can remember was Majora's Mask, 3-day loop, good day-length to ratchet up tension, telling you how much time you had left and you reset the Loop with a song! Classic Loop game.

What are some of your favourite Loop Games?

Bazooka

Shadow of Memories on PS2 and Xbox, had some loop da loops and re-trying different time events.

Pink Gregory

Saving the Outer Wilds for the Switch release.  Need to try Minit as well.

Tried to get into Outer Wilds, but the NPCs are all dickheads.

brat-sampson

Ooh, was thinking about this one the other day:

Great Loop-based murder-prevention puzzler. Reminded me a bit of The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle although that's a book and the loop in that has an extra twist. But yeah, you learn people's patterns (which typically include murder) then work out how to stop them by changing things around before they can start.

Loved Outer Wilds. Worth pushing past the NPCs if you want because the bulk of the game doesn't have any, unless you also hated the Nomai writings, which yeah, you have to read. It's an absolutely stunning piece of clockwork game design though, and of how to gate progress behind nothing but knowledge, rather than upgrades or even skill. You can finish that game on the first Loop if you know how things work and what to do, but you won't, and learning the tricks and details make for an absolutely unforgettable First Plkaythrough that you can then never have a game without memory-wiping technology.

The Crumb

Seconding the Outer Wilds love, it's an incredible piece of design. The way so many elements you barely pick up on in initial loops become critical as you progress is great. I love how finding out the cause and context of the loop is such a major part of the game, too. The feeling during the final loop so genuinely exciting as well. Don't know about the NPC thing unless it's another comedy outer worlds/wilds mix up. Or you've got a raving hatred of slightly twee space scientists.

MojoJojo

Ahh, fuck it. I'm going to get loop hero.

Zetetic

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 06, 2021, 08:46:34 PM
Tried to get into Outer Wilds, but the NPCs are all dickheads.
To echo Crumb more explicitly: Are you think of the Outer Worlds?

Anyway, yes, Outer Wilds is very neat.