Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:49:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thread for people who use make-up/cosmetics

Started by Janie Jones, March 06, 2021, 01:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janie Jones

I realise there's not a whole lot of make-up users among CaB people but those who do use cosmetics are real people, not 'influencers' or grifters and for that reason I want to hear your views, please.

I've just had another tantrum along the lines of, 'They can put a man on the moon but not make a mascara that doesn't degrade into clumps and flake all over your face soon after application.' Dior? Dogshit, more like. Clinique is crap. Benefit can suck my clit.

Just to get it out of the way, I may sound like I'm contradicting myself but the 'they're all the same, just buy the cheapest,' old chestnut absolutely does not apply to any make up (nail varnish being the exception). It's all shit but the cheap stuff is super-shit.

After nearly half a century of make-up wearing, I'd say Boots Number 7 and Estée Lauder are probably the least worst brands, generally speaking. But I'd like to hear your recommendations for your go-to favourites and products that work.

Marner and Me

Is their anything out there that is good for scaring? I have a good 2 inch one on my cheek which I wouldn't mind trying to get rid of

flotemysost

Can second the love for Boots No. 7 - I suppose it's not exactly make up, but their Factor 50 BB cream is an absolute go-to now if I'm going to be out in the sun. I'm not a massive "nails" person but I really like their range of polishes too, some really nice, interesting shades and you get a good quantity.

Since the first lockdown I've become rather hooked on the Body Shop Instaglow CC cream - it just has a really nice subtle way of making your face reflect light without changing it, if that makes sense, very light and natural feeling. Their Sport Brow Pen is fab too - it's like a felt tip but with a sort of chiselled nib, like a calligraphy pen, which is great for replicating individual hairs (perfect for me as I already have dark brows, they're just a bit sparse in places).

I know the Body Shop are owned by L'Oreal now so I'm not sure if the original Anita Roddick ethics still stand, sadly.

I do struggle to find foundations which don't tend towards the orange - I have olive mixed race skin, I'm not especially dark but with lots of brands the 'Medium' shade (which is normally my default) leaves you with a sort of Wotsit dust trail around your jawline if you're not careful. A few of my dark-skinned black friends sing the praises of Fenty (for the range of shades they do) but I've never tried them.

Re: mascara, I actually found Benefit Bad Gal one of the less clumpy ones (it's got a nice fat spoolie unlike the wispy spidery efforts you get on some others, or those weird rubber ones - can't stand them), I just use a cheapo brand usually though.

Marner and Me, it might be worth looking into YouTube tutorials on covering scarring - there are absolutely masses of makeup tutorials online and I'm sure a good many of them cover stuff like that, as opposed to just getting glammed up. Maybe worth finding one based in the same country as you so any products they recommend would be available, but I'm sure with something like that it's as much about technique and practice as well.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Marner and Me on March 06, 2021, 01:09:14 PM
Is their anything out there that is good for scaring? I have a good 2 inch one on my cheek which I wouldn't mind trying to get rid of

Just invent a cover story for how you got it so people find you mysterious and interesting. Say you got it in Nam back in '68 during the Tet Offensive.

mobias

I have nothing much to add to this thread other than to say that back in my days when I dabbled in transvestism I found out how bloody expensive make up is.

Marner and Me

I wouldn't want to apply make up on the reg, I have heard there is oils/creams that can reduce the affects of scaring. I will have a Google. It has a very shit story attached to it. Running down a steep hill and straight into a fence face first. Tbf it only does show up when I'm tanned.

As for make up, I have a relative on FB. Don't even think I've met her, she's into new age stuff and she is (pyramid) selling some new age make up, it might be vegan or not tested on animals (probably both, especially if vegan) It might just have an apparent good carbon footprint. As I don't wear make up I'm not actually too sure.

Icehaven

Lockdown has pretty much knocked makeup on the head for me. I didn't usually wear loads anyway, just a bit of foundation, eyeliner and mascara (all Rimmel, out of habit and availability rather than anything else, it's fairly cheap and it's sold everywhere), but having gone entire months last year without putting anything on my face (fnar) other than moisturiser I've realised I just can't be bothered anymore. I put a tiny bit of eyeliner on when I'm going to work just so I don't feel completely bare faced, but there's no point in much else when most of your face is under a mask. Once we can go somewhere other than work or the shops I might start using it more again but right now I feel as if I won't bother other than for special occasions.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIs their anything out there that is good for scaring?

Yeah if you go to a carnval you can get them to make you look like a wherewolve

Attila

I'm the same as icehaven.

I still do make up cos I have a horrid, pale complexion without anything (with vivid rosacea flaming my cheeks), but I do myself up only when I know I've got to go onto campus/do stuff on Teams. I'm not into a lot of make up, though -- just enough to calm my complexion and dull the red shine off my cheeks and to highlight my eyes. I do some lip colour, as well.

I  admit, I'm a lifer with Estee Lauder, as that's what my tosser sister got me started with when I was in my 20s (ie after I got away from home and a mother who argued that no one needed to wear make up. Toning down my spotty red face would have saved me a lot of grief in high school, ugh). Anyway -- they discontinued the foundation that I wore for years, and it's been a pain in the arse finding something to replace it with.

On a 'make up day' I just dab on a bit of the 'Smoother' (a little goes a long way, and it helps the foundation go on evenly). Current foundation is Doublewear Light (the closest I can find to what I used to have). Just a light application to tone down the red -- I don't use blush/bronzer. Highly recommend a decent foundation brush (and keeping it clean!)

I like EL's Double Wear waterproof eyeliner, and right now I've got EL 'double wear zero-smudge lengthening mascara' or some such -- a lot of times, I'll just use whatever sample thing they give me when I buy new make-up and there's the little gift set thrown in. Again, a really light touch -- I switched to brown eyeliner years ago to avoid old lady raccoon eyes, and I use a really light touch with the mascara. If the stuff is fresh/new, you should'nt get clumps, but if you do, right after you apply it and it's still wet, just lightly blink your lashes against your finger. The clumps should transfer and it'll take a lot of the excess off your lashes.

The key thing I've found with any mascara is on the one hand to use a really light touch, and on the other, get the smallest size you can if you don't wear it much - it will start to get tacky and gum up, and that leads to problems with clumping.

I'm no expert on doing mad things with make up, I'm afraid -- just enough not to scare the horses.

I was doing a lot of nail polish, but haven't bothered in lockdown because hand sanitiser fucks it up.

And, yes, it's horribly overpriced when you get to the boutique/department store brands. Hitting up the make up counter when we go to the shops in the US is one of my things, as it's a lot cheaper over there.

eta -- I sure said 'light touch' a heck of a lot there... :)

Birdie

Best mascara is thin lizzy Max lashes (three goes at typing that - came up with think kiddy and thin Lizt).  I just do brows and lashes most days. One of the ironies of getting old is just as hair starts sprouting  in new and awkward places you start losing it elsewhere.

BlodwynPig

GoblinAhFuckScary

Glossier stuff is overpriced but if you catch it on sale it's 👌

Same with Mac. Mac is great. Got a fair amount of Elf stuff too which is not very crap and not very expensive.

All liquid eyeliner turns to shit on my hooded eyes and bc of that I barely bother with mascara. Ended up using that clumpy Maybelline tattoo stuff meant for brows (which I also use on brows) instead and it's pretty damn tenacious.

BeardFaceMan

I've been trying to make my own glow in the dark nail varnish and I think I might have got it right with the last batch. Pity I never go outside to charge it up.

The Dog

When I was trying to scare visitors away from my castle for some reason, I used to dress up as a spooky knight. The spooky knight I chose was Sir John Majors.

bgmnts

I have twice used foundation to hide a huge spot on my huge nose that made me look like a 12th century plague ridden peasant thief, but beyond that I'd say roll on deoderant is as cosmetic as I get. Never really understood it beyond the appalling societal conditioning.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: bgmnts on March 06, 2021, 11:32:50 PM
I have twice used foundation to hide a huge spot on my huge nose that made me look like a 12th century plague ridden peasant thief, but beyond that I'd say roll on deoderant is as cosmetic as I get. Never really understood it beyond the appalling societal conditioning.

It makes you look pretty.

NoOffenceLynn

The best mascara I've ever used is No7 Exceptional Definition Mascara. And l was a Lancôme girl before that but it was out of stock once ,so tried No7 and never went back.

Also brows, not keen on the ridiculously massive slug brows that have been going on for so long now, a trend that really needs to die. But l have fair brows that need defining. When l was younger there were three colours of rock hard brow pencil, Coal Black for brunettes and a Ginger or Grey tinted one for blondes. The best one l've use is Maybelline Brow Satin Eyebrow Duo in light blonde. Don't be put off by the fact that it's cheap and from Maybelline, l still remember my disappointment in the 90s when l finally got my hands on their much coveted mascara that was supposed to turn your lashes into long fluttering Bambi ones... it was rubbish.

And agree Clinque is awful, another product that never lived up to the hype.

Edit: just remembered another great product for lips Maybelline Superstay Matte ink lipstick, lasts forever the colour dreamer is a nice soft pink.

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on March 06, 2021, 11:32:50 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with anyone using make up, it's just another way of expressing yourself.  No different to arranging your single hair or changing ones gloves.  Look at this a friend showed me for instance. 

On make up stuff - I have a theory that, with mascara, it's the brush/applicator you mostly pay for with expensive brands.  A salvaged Lancome twirler with any old dark shit to hand, that's the ticket.  And, of course, any lover of colour will tell you, if you have redness, like roseacea or even a bad spot, green or yellow will bring that down.  Don't cover it, change the skin tone by applying a thin skim of green.  Try it, I think you'll like it.

BlodwynPig

Buelligan

It's like all this stuff, isn't it?  I know I'm weird but the whole time this covid thing's been going on I've been tortured by thoughts of all the animals being tested on 24/7, to find a cure for the plague created by human greed and stupidity, so's the testers can make their names and money.  And that's an episode of human infamy that most people think is fine.  Maybe even heroic.  Fuck me, we are horrendous.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on March 07, 2021, 08:24:56 AM
The best mascara I've ever used is No7 Exceptional Definition Mascara. And l was a Lancôme girl before that but it was out of stock once ,so tried No7 and never went back.

off t' boots. is no7's eyeliner any good?

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on March 07, 2021, 09:43:43 AM
It's like all this stuff, isn't it?  I know I'm weird but the whole time this covid thing's been going on I've been tortured by thoughts of all the animals being tested on 24/7, to find a cure for the plague created by human greed and stupidity, so's the testers can make their names and money.  And that's an episode of human infamy that most people think is fine.  Maybe even heroic.  Fuck me, we are horrendous.

Abusing animals to create a cure for a plague partially caused by abusing animals.

Marner and Me

Quote from: Buelligan on March 07, 2021, 09:43:43 AM
Wasn't Covid from bats? Just some cunt ate one. Personally I think nonces and proper degenerate criminals should be used for medical testing as they're not much good for anything else. 

Buelligan

Could I suggest, if we want to talk about animal testing or anything around that and covid and shit, we make a new thread?  Not desperate to talk about it myself and not trying to thread-police, but am conscious of the possibility that this thread is about something else.  Hope no one minds me saying that and accept I'm as much to blame as anybody here. 

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Buelligan on March 07, 2021, 11:59:43 AM
Could I suggest, if we want to talk about animal testing or anything around that and covid and shit, we make a new thread?

Yes and no offence intended to anyone, but it's a bit of a thing that when women primarily women talk about makeup and beauty etc etc etc men often derail it a bit to talk about why beauty standards are wrong, why the industry is wrong, why we should just love ourselves so on so on so on. It's not something particularly groundbreaking or helpful or wanted.

Buelligan

I was thinking about being a human woman and realised one of the best things is when you completely cease observing yourself.  Stop considering what others think and just be.  An expression of your own essence.  I think this works well for men too - imagine Laurence Fox or Brian for London if they went down that route.

There used to be an old lady in my village here, who always wore blusher and eyeshadow, pink and blue, like a young girl.  Her clothes were fairly worn but interesting, she walked the mountains in soft little grey house shoes, she was lovely, always kind and gentle with animals and just an all round lovely person who I kind of loved.  Just for being who she felt and not giving two fucks about the judgement of others.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on March 07, 2021, 12:42:54 PM
Yes and no offence intended to anyone, but it's a bit of a thing that when women primarily women talk about makeup and beauty etc etc etc men often derail it a bit to talk about why beauty standards are wrong, why the industry is wrong, why we should just love ourselves so on so on so on. It's not something particularly groundbreaking or helpful or wanted.

No-one is trying to do that, but if you feel that way, sorry. Continue with the make up chat and an ethical thread can appear if necessary elsewhere.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on March 07, 2021, 01:04:15 PM
I was thinking about being a human woman and realised one of the best things is when you completely cease observing yourself.  Stop considering what others think and just be.  An expression of your own essence.  I think this works well for men too - imagine Laurence Fox or Brian for London if they went down that route.

There used to be an old lady in my village here, who always wore blusher and eyeshadow, pink and blue, like a young girl.  Her clothes were fairly worn but interesting, she walked the mountains in soft little grey house shoes, she was lovely, always kind and gentle with animals and just an all round lovely person who I kind of loved.  Just for being who she felt and not giving two fucks about the judgement of others.

Heidi...is that you?