Author Topic: Thread for people who use make-up/cosmetics  (Read 5591 times)

Re: Thread for people who use make-up/cosmetics
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2021, 07:39:54 PM »
Used to suffer from eczema when l was younger and my dermatologist recommend pure almond oil, it's fantastic.

Any suggestions for the best place to go shopping for this?

Utterdrivel

• Onions
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2021, 09:10:56 PM »
I'm a mildly gibbous, balding (and phimotic, obviously) man in my 40s and I still occasionally get spots on my nose like a teenager on a first date.

You'd best believe I'm a wizard with the concealer baby girl mmmhmm
help me

Blue Jam

• (I may have you on ignore)
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2021, 09:36:47 PM »
Any suggestions for the best place to go shopping for this?

Almond oil is used as a carrier for diluting aromatherapy oils, so anywhere that sells aromatherapy oils. Holland & Barratt should do it, possibly larger branches of Boots.

« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2021, 10:42:27 PM »
I'm a mildly gibbous, balding (and phimotic, obviously) man in my 40s and I still occasionally get spots on my nose like a teenager on a first date.

Spots are normally bacterial and/or hormonal as far as I'm aware, but as a topical treatment for mild spots, tea tree oil works pretty well for some people. OTC creams containing Benozyl Peroxide are often pretty effective, but obvs check with a pharmacist (it really dries out the area it's applied to so it's not for everyone).

My skin is pretty horrible at the moment. No spots, just really sallow and leathery, somehow dry and oily at the same time. Iggy Pop would look like a blushing apple-cheeked ingenue next to me right now.

I've been avoiding the sun where I can, wearing Factor 50 every day and chugging an Olympic swimming pool's worth of water at my desk during work, so I think it's just the first horseman of becoming an old cunt, sadly.

canadagoose

• inoperable brain bum hole
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2021, 12:19:06 AM »
Lockdown has pretty much knocked makeup on the head for me. I didn't usually wear loads anyway, just a bit of foundation, eyeliner and mascara (all Rimmel, out of habit and availability rather than anything else, it's fairly cheap and it's sold everywhere), but having gone entire months last year without putting anything on my face (fnar) other than moisturiser I've realised I just can't be bothered anymore. I put a tiny bit of eyeliner on when I'm going to work just so I don't feel completely bare faced, but there's no point in much else when most of your face is under a mask. Once we can go somewhere other than work or the shops I might start using it more again but right now I feel as if I won't bother other than for special occasions.
Oh same, I only put some eyeliner on (and foundation) for going out to a restaurant on Sunday and that was the first time in a while. I'm mostly hidden behind a mask these days when I'm out so what's the point?

Just realised when writing this that I'm on page 1 so this is from a while ago. Oops. Not deleting now

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2021, 03:44:00 PM »
I've just decided to dye my hair purple on a whim!

I'm so alpha.

Janie Jones

• Shift over
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2021, 10:09:45 PM »
Does anyone else wear gas permeable contact lenses and find themselves struggling with the world shortage of cleaner? I’m reduced to using washing up liquid which is fine unless you fail to rinse very thoroughly.

Boots No.7 have a canny deal on make-up now, £10 off if you spend £25, and they chuck in a free eyeshadow and highlighter palette. And you get Boots points to, er, boot.

Blue Jam

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2021, 04:33:43 PM »
Had a spa day today (yeah, inappropriate, I know) and in preparation I painted my toenails for only about the second time in my life. I don't know why because I feel so fucking glam right now. Definitely going to be doing this more often.

Currently wearing Leighton Denny nail polish in a colour named "I'm So Soirée" which I can't help reading in the voice of Jeremy from Peep Show when he was struggling to apologise to Mark (posed by model):

I also wanted to recommend this:

Needed some more top coat and picked this one up pretty much at random, a fuckit-this-will-do purchase, and it's fucking revolutionary. Even the two nail polishes I've got which are nice colours but chip like a mofo last forever under this.

I also picked up some nail polish drying spray while I was at it. Why the FUCK had I never tried this before? I think I may have assumed it wouldn't work, just as I never noticed any difference with quick-drying nail polish except it just seemed thinner and lower in quality than the normal stuff. Never going to be without it now.

One thing I still don't understand though: those toe separator things. Never seen the point. Does everyone else have mangled toes or something?

WHY?

Janie Jones

• Shift over
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2021, 04:51:54 PM »

One thing I still don't understand though: those toe separator things. Never seen the point. Does everyone else have mangled toes or something?

Not to put too fine a point on it - yes. Years of running and before that, cheap fashion shoes. My toes look like Lisa’s teeth in the Simpson’s episode when she gets braces. No one ever sees them though, I never wear any footwear that exposes my feet.

Thanks for the gel top coat recommendation, exactly what I need.

Blue Jam

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2021, 04:57:56 PM »
My mother had mangled toes from wearing pointed stillettoes every day in the 60's. Seeing them put me off ever wearing pointed shoes. I guess my inability to walk in heels makes me lucky, in a way.

Never did ballet either, probably also a good thing.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2021, 05:31:13 PM »
My mother had mangled toes from wearing pointed stillettoes every day in the 60's. Seeing them put me off ever wearing pointed shoes. I guess my inability to walk in heels makes me lucky, in a way.

Never did ballet either, probably also a good thing.

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2021, 09:33:01 AM »
Had a spa day today (yeah, inappropriate, I know) and in preparation I painted my toenails for only about the second time in my life. I don't know why because I feel so fucking glam right now. Definitely going to be doing this more often.

I love that shade, Blue Jam! I'm really not much of a "nails" person, but I normally have a couple of coats on my toenails at any given time just because I hate my feet and it makes me feel a bit more "put together", I dunno. Normally I go for a light beige/pink kinda shade so if it chips a bit it's not immediately noticeable, but good shout on the gel top coat.

There's a bit in Goodbye to Berlin where the protagonist is incredulous at Sally Bowles' painted nails, as it wasn't really a widespread fashion at the time (and became one of the behaviours decried by the Nazis as decadent Yank frivolity), then when she says she paints her toenails too he can't understand why. IIRC in the novel she goes for a green shade, which is quite in at the moment - maybe that's an indicator we're heading for an era of Weimar-style excess.

Blue Jam

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2021, 09:35:26 AM »
I have a nice green shade here, worried it might be a bit too Bunny Lebowski though.

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2021, 11:03:48 PM »
Not to put too fine a point on it - yes. Years of running and before that, cheap fashion shoes. My toes look like Lisa’s teeth in the Simpson’s episode when she gets braces. No one ever sees them though, I never wear any footwear that exposes my feet.

Same here with the mangled and unloved trotters, and that's without any exercise (as if!) or wearing of high heels; my gnarliness is all natural.

I used to be immensely self conscious about wearing sandals, but I've grown out of it as I've got older. (I also discovered reasonably comfortable sandal brands, like Tevas and before that Saltwaters, which were a revelation: previously sandals had been a surefire way to cut my feet to ribbons.) As a sop to my residual feelings about my hooves, I've taken to wearing nail varnish on my toes during the warm months, to feel a bit more presentable.

« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2021, 10:22:24 PM »
Same, I wear high heels maybe once or twice a week at most but they're always chunky ankle boot kinda ones, the rest of time it's trainers and DMs, but I know loads of girls who spent their twenties dancing in vertiginous strappy stilettos or striding round offices in torturous pointy-toed pumps and yet still somehow have much nicer feet than me (and I'm pretty vigilant with pumicing and clipping and moisturising and all that) so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Most sandals butcher my feet too, next summer I might invest in some Birkenstocks as everyone raves about them being comfortable. Feet are just a lot of effort really.

Blue Jam

« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2021, 11:03:41 PM »
I should stress: while my toes may be uncommonly straight and uncomplicated, my feet are very far from dainty. They're narrow but they're long for someone of my height. I used to be a bit self-conscious about the size of my hands and feet (especially after that Seinfeld episode) but now I'm a bit less arsed- fuckit, it's not like I can get them reduced.

I have also come to appreciate my ability to carry lots of things at once (pint glasses especially) and the extra choice I have when buying trainers because I can find my size in both the men's and women's sections. Also being the same shoe size as Mr Jam means I get to borrow his trainers.

I wear running trainers for werk because I'm on my feet all day and the bouncy soles stop my feet hurting. I always go for Adidas ones because the Adidas online shop has good sales and their trainers have a long and narrow fit which many people find a bit weird but they always fit my weird feet perfectly. Can't wear anything open-toed because of all the nasty chemicals I work with so Birkenstocks are right out, quite tempted to get some for my next holiday but it'd have to be the silver ones.

Crocs can fuck right off.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 11:15:48 PM by Blue Jam »

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2021, 11:30:41 PM »
I also wanted to recommend this:

Needed some more top coat and picked this one up pretty much at random, a fuckit-this-will-do purchase, and it's fucking revolutionary. Even the two nail polishes I've got which are nice colours but chip like a mofo last forever under this.

I also picked up some nail polish drying spray while I was at it. Why the FUCK had I never tried this before? I think I may have assumed it wouldn't work, just as I never noticed any difference with quick-drying nail polish except it just seemed thinner and lower in quality than the normal stuff. Never going to be without it now.

Bought both that top coat and polish drying spray, off the back of your recommendation, and I can attest that they're the business, Blue Jam!

I also picked up a colour polish in that same polish range, and it was lovely to use.

Tags: