Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:14:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

That Dynamite Kid DSotR was an odd one, it didn't really feel like it had much of a dark side, they spent most of the time talking about what a great bloke he was and how he single-handedly revolutionized wrestling. Very, very few mentions of his cuntiness, which I imagine was a condition set by his wife in order for her to appear, she pretty much says as much a the end of the episode. Felt more like a tribute show than a look at his dark side. Which was still quite interesting to me as I don't really know a lot about the Kid, he was one of those people who was always mentioned as being a piece of shit so I always stayed away from watching his stuff.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 14, 2021, 03:27:45 PM
That Dynamite Kid DSotR was an odd one, it didn't really feel like it had much of a dark side, they spent most of the time talking about what a great bloke he was and how he single-handedly revolutionized wrestling. Very, very few mentions of his cuntiness, which I imagine was a condition set by his wife in order for her to appear, she pretty much says as much a the end of the episode. Felt more like a tribute show than a look at his dark side. Which was still quite interesting to me as I don't really know a lot about the Kid, he was one of those people who was always mentioned as being a piece of shit so I always stayed away from watching his stuff.

I was worried about this too, if you see my earlier post before it came out. I think it was actually balanced fairly well for the 45 or so minutes they had. There seemed to be plenty of instances of him being a raging dickhead, from bullying his co-workers to abusing his wife. But they did have to cover his importance to the wrestling business, as well as how much he destroyed his body in the process. Still, I would have liked them to cover the story about him breaking a little girl's legs so the family could get insurance money, which he confirmed to be true.

BeardFaceMan

I did enjoy the story about The Mountie knocking his teeth out, I really liked him as a kid, me and my friends would randomly shout "I AM THE MOUNTIE!" a lot. And if what he said afterwards about making up the mafia stuff was true, then that was a stroke of genius.

Ja'moke

Joe back on NXT as rumoured then. I did enjoy him choking out Cole and yelling "When he wakes up, tell him Mr Regal wants to see him!". I think Joe could make this NXT enforcer role work.

The Joe and Regal double act has the potential to be absolutely amazing.

Moribunderast

Just watched the Dynamite Kid episode of Dark Side. Man, they let him off quite lightly, huh? No mention of animal abuse, the worst "ribs", breaking a girl's legs...

I've enjoyed this (half-)season of Dark Side but I think many episodes could have used more time. The Pillman one was the best because it was a two-parter and I think the Dynamite episode and the Grizzly Smith episode, at least, could have been improved with a similar runtime.

Ja'moke

AEW has announced Dynamite: Grand Slam at the Arthur Ashe stadium in New York in September. A tennis stadium! Looks like a cool venue for wrestling. 22k capacity.

gmoney

Where's me washboard! Oh, Arthur Ashe

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 16, 2021, 03:55:37 PM
AEW has announced Dynamite: Grand Slam at the Arthur Ashe stadium in New York in September. A tennis stadium! Looks like a cool venue for wrestling. 22k capacity.

It's an awful stadium for tennis. The seats are way too high. Be interesting to see how different it feels with wrestling fans inside.

Spiteface

Quote from: Moribunderast on June 16, 2021, 12:33:32 PM
Just watched the Dynamite Kid episode of Dark Side. Man, they let him off quite lightly, huh? No mention of animal abuse, the worst "ribs", breaking a girl's legs...

I watched it, not being familiar with Dynamite Kid's work, and only vaguely knowing he was a rotten human being, but fucking hell, Mick Foley may as well have been a talking head on a sanitised WWE offering at points.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 15, 2021, 12:14:29 PM
I did enjoy the story about The Mountie knocking his teeth out, I really liked him as a kid, me and my friends would randomly shout "I AM THE MOUNTIE!"

Off-topic, but a friend of mine when I was a kid was a big Mountie mark at the time. May have been the only one.

Old Thrashbarg

Dark really confuses me. I find myself laughing at the Joey Janela and Alex Marvez (!) "nip factory" segments, and I don't know why. And then I find myself genuinely excited for, and genuinely really enjoying, Chaos Project vs Gunn Club. These aren't things that should be happening.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Spiteface on June 17, 2021, 12:05:59 AM
I watched it, not being familiar with Dynamite Kid's work, and only vaguely knowing he was a rotten human being, but fucking hell, Mick Foley may as well have been a talking head on a sanitised WWE offering at points.

Off-topic, but a friend of mine when I was a kid was a big Mountie mark at the time. May have been the only one.

There were three of us running around South Wales pretending to be a Canadian Mountie, but I think we were the only ones. We were the only ones to be make it known by shouting "I AM THE MOUNTIE!" on a regular basis, anyway.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on June 17, 2021, 12:56:47 PM
Dark really confuses me. I find myself laughing at the Joey Janela and Alex Marvez (!) "nip factory" segments, and I don't know why. And then I find myself genuinely excited for, and genuinely really enjoying, Chaos Project vs Gunn Club. These aren't things that should be happening.

The commentary, isn't it? I've seen it described as Taz and Excalibur's podcast with some wrestling going on in the background, and that's fair enough. I could listen to Taz commentating on Chaos Project for ever.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 17, 2021, 02:49:26 PM
The commentary, isn't it? I've seen it described as Taz and Excalibur's podcast with some wrestling going on in the background, and that's fair enough. I could listen to Taz commentating on Chaos Project for ever.

Yeah, that's definitely a large part of it. For all that it's similar in terms of wrestling, Elevation is nowhere near as engaging. And I really don't need to hear Schiavone shout "Canadian Destroyer!" as someone hits a Death Valley Driver ever again.

BeardFaceMan

Anyone seen the new Chyna documentary yet?

Spiteface

Watching AEW Dynamite and Jake Roberts has Ross From Friends' teeth.

Couldn't he have gotten new teeth that weren't as white? Was really distracting.

Deanjam

Not a single comment about Hell in the Cell happening last night. Sums up how god damn boring WWE is right now. I didn't watch the show as I went to bed instead, but it seemed such a non event. Just a bunch of rematches. Anyway, having looked at the results it seems status quo has been achieved. Well done Vince, wouldn't want to do anything exciting now would we.

Deanjam

Though I may have to check out how awful this was:

Mobius

Half watched whilst I was at work and yes it was just completely low stakes, minimum effort stuff a lot of which ended in schoolboys or roll ups. Same old matches, no consequence or payoff to anything.

Roman not being on the card meant they gave even less of a shit than usual

Mobius

Check out Piper Niven's main roster name

Magnum Valentino

BeardFaceMan

In all seriousness, why are they bringing her in and letting actual wrestlers go? She can't wrestle, can't deliver a promo and she has zero charisma. Does she have some enormous fanbase outside wrestling I don't know about or something? With a bit of luck Piper will give her a kicking and get a proper name at least. Doudrop? Who comes up with this shit?

Mobius

Eva Marie is probably back because John Laurentiis is in charge of talent hires, again. I don't get it either.

Doudrop is awful. They're also just pretending NXT UK doesn't exist, so Corey and co just have to pretend they don't recognise her and she hasn't been with WWE for years

peanutbutter

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 23, 2021, 07:12:41 AM
In all seriousness, why are they bringing her in and letting actual wrestlers go? She can't wrestle, can't deliver a promo and she has zero charisma. Does she have some enormous fanbase outside wrestling I don't know about or something? With a bit of luck Piper will give her a kicking and get a proper name at least. Doudrop? Who comes up with this shit?
Either they think she has nostalgia value or they think her being on Celebrity Big Brother in 2019 means she has some outside star appeal

Is there any other Hispanic woman on the main roster atm? That could be a motivator too, I think it was in her original push.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Mobius on June 23, 2021, 07:48:51 AM
Doudrop is awful. They're also just pretending NXT UK doesn't exist, so Corey and co just have to pretend they don't recognise her and she hasn't been with WWE for years

I I was RAW I'd probably want to pretend NXT UK didn't exist, a bunch of UK indie guys in an empty TV studio putting on a show that's a million times better than theirs.

Ja'moke

It seems that Piper actually acknowledged that her actual name is Piper and not Doudrop on Raw at least. So maybe hope she eventually turns on Eva.

boki

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 23, 2021, 10:34:15 AM
Is there any other Hispanic woman on the main roster atm? That could be a motivator too, I think it was in her original push.
There's Bayley, but her heritage hasn't ever really been part of her on-screen character.

Gurke and Hare

Ja'moke

There's a few AEW wrestlers, including Omega and Britt, appearing at a Comic Con in Telford in November and Fozzy are doing a short UK tour around the same time. I'm hoping that means AEW are doing a couple of shows here.

BeardFaceMan

Weren't there plans in place for an AEW UK PPV before the pandemic hit? It felt like getting a good UK TV deal and coming here were important to them.

On a similar note, I saw Colt Cabana on a Cultaholic podcast and he was talking about someone who is uploading a shitload of old World of Sport matches to YouTube. Cabana even got in touch with him and sent him some of his own DVDs as he had some matches that the guy didn't have.