Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:09:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 23, 2021, 11:46:01 AM
Does it matter if he agrees to it? Doesn't seem like Gage's style to get consent from the performer he's working with.

Does he really go off script regularly in death matches? Why would people keep agreeing to work with him?

BeardFaceMan

I always thought that deathmatch guys did it because it's the only style of wrestling they can do, but apparently Gage is a pretty good actual wrestler (not that I've ever seen it), but while he has done crazy shit like that in the past, it's definitely played up to make him seem more dangerous. Because like you say, if he was that reckless, no one would work with him other than other nutters, certainly someone like Jericho wouldn't agree to work with him.

Ja'moke

Yeah I thought all that was just a gimmick to make him seem like a loose cannon.

gmoney

I think the rep mainly stems from the David Arquette incident. However, if you see it it looks like Arquette panics during a spot and ends up getting seriously hurt. He then shits himself, and it turns into a weird shoot. I don't think Gage set out to go off script like that, but he stayed in character and I doubt he cared to clear up any misunderstanding.

up_the_hampipe

Roman Reigns comparing John Cena to doing the missionary position every single night, that might be promo line of the year.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 22, 2021, 07:20:05 PMI wonder if an Uso will be in a match with a Mysterio tomorrow?

Lol, I never guessed it would be followed with a promo where Roman complains about the same things happening week after week after week.

sevendaughters

the David Arquette/Nick Gage thing was a brilliant bit of work, one of the few of the last ten years

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 24, 2021, 03:28:42 PM
the David Arquette/Nick Gage thing was a brilliant bit of work, one of the few of the last ten years

I'd say it was a botch in the ring and they've both worked the shit out if it. And Mox and Gage are friends, so I'd take all that stuff about Mox not knowing Gage was going to use the pizza cutter in his mouth with a pinch of salt, it wouldn't suprise me at all if Mox went into work mode for Gage for that Dark Side show.

Fair fucks to Matt Cardona, he has so much heat in GCW it's incredible.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 24, 2021, 02:40:30 PM
Lol, I never guessed it would be followed with a promo where Roman complains about the same things happening week after week after week.

And yet, AEW have just announced another Varsity Blonds vs Acclaimed match for this week on Dark and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Ja'moke

Only the entrances and Dynamite has already peaked.

Spode

Gallows 69 cementing his place as a first ballot entrant into the boring bastard hall of fame.

Ja'moke

Punk is definitely coming to AEW then. They're hardly being subtle about it now.

Spode

Oh, Tanahashi on video and Punk all but announced. Not messing around are they?

My money is on Tanahashi winning the belt and then getting Daniel Bryan. Woof.

Mobius

I'm fucking stuck at work and Tanahashi is being mentioned on Dynamite? Fuck sake.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Mobius on July 29, 2021, 02:11:02 AM
I'm fucking stuck at work and Tanahashi is being mentioned on Dynamite? Fuck sake.

Not just mentioned, he cut a video promo. Winner of the IWGP US title match tonight off to Japan to face him.

Mobius

Damn that's cool.

Any Punk/Bryan teases yet?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Mobius on July 29, 2021, 02:17:33 AM
Damn that's cool.

Any Punk/Bryan teases yet?

Yeah they announced that the August 20th Rampage will be at the United Center in Chicago, and then after Darby cut a promo saying he'll face anyone, even those that think they're the "best in the world."

Ja'moke

I'm surprised TNT let Nick Gage and Jericho go proper GCW death match. Well, the light tubes seemed to be gimmicked... no spooky dust.

And the next labour is Juvi ! Haha love it.

BRen

Quote from: Moribunderast on July 23, 2021, 11:03:44 AM
I certainly can't see Jericho agreeing to take a pizza cutter across the forehead or mouth. I am morbidly curious to see the match, however.
Well, that aged well!

I kinda figured Jericho would go for it (if they allowed it), I think he's just ticking things off his wrestling bucket list nowadays.

Timothy

So they're gonna debut Punk on their new show that's going to be aired a day before Summerslam?

Whatever happens on Summerslam, the must see moment of the weekend is already a certainty for AEW.
WWE can look forward to a lot of CM Punk chants during Summerslam.

Moribunderast

Quote from: BRen on July 29, 2021, 03:04:50 AM
Well, that aged well!

I kinda figured Jericho would go for it (if they allowed it), I think he's just ticking things off his wrestling bucket list nowadays.

Haha, yeah, definitely didn't expect the full GCW shenanigans. Fair fucks to Jericho, I guess. Not my kinda match and I do think AEW needs to calm down on the bloodbaths but I can't say I wasn't compelled watching it. The Juvi reveal after made me laugh.

10-man tag was ace. Entrances were unreal and the result surprised me. No idea where they're going for All Out now. I'm assuming Christian will challenge on the first episode of Rampage - surely he's not a PPV main event contender.

I thought that was a(nother) tremendous episode of Dynamite. The unpredictability is so great - and not in a "swerve" Attitude Era way but in a "Holy fuck, Tanahashi? Holy fuck, Darby is challenging CM Punk? Holy fuck, MENG?" sorta way. It's just a really fun show to watch.

BeardFaceMan

TK certainly has the wrestling fans in his pocket and knows exactly how to appeal to them and put on a good show, the question is can he do a mainstream version of that to grow the audience? Last night's bloodbath was good fun, but not the sort of thing that should be main eventing free tv, that should have been on PPV. The fans love seeing stuff like Nick Gage, or Britt Baker looking like she is in a remake of Carrie, mainstream viewers not so much. Not that I care, I don't really want the show to change and don't really care about ratings, I think it's doing more than fine as it is, it might be hard to grow an audience with regular content like that on tv though.

Spode

I was moaning a while back about them missing the boat with Page and taking an age to pay anything off but I was glad he didn't get his title shot last night. I'm still not totally sure they were planning on playing it out this way long term (The Dark Order stuff has definitely helped) but I think there's a lot more of that story to tell now, and in front of live crowds. On top of that, I don't think now's the time to get the title off Omega anyway. Let the Punk/Bryan stuff settle and then let him take the belt.

Definitely feel like the whole thing has turned a corner, starting to find the show unmissable now. 

BeardFaceMan

Now things are opening up a bit lockdown-wise I expect Omega to go full-on Collector again, he's not done getting belts so I don't think he'll lose the AEW belt just yet.

Ja'moke

1.1 mil for Dynamite last night. First time that they've done three weeks in a row above 1 mil. And that's against the Olympics too. The product is hot right now and it's likely only going to go up with the arrival of Punk and Bryan.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 29, 2021, 09:27:49 PM
1.1 mil for Dynamite last night. First time that they've done three weeks in a row above 1 mil. And that's against the Olympics too. The product is hot right now and it's likely only going to go up with the arrival of Punk and Bryan.

They've also been promoting these shows as PPV style events, so we'll see what happens when they go back to regular weekly shows. There's a slight tinge of WCW in how they cram big matches into their weekly programming. It might hurt in the long run, they can't just keep signing new big names.

Slightly uneducated opinion, though, as I'm not really watching all the product every week. But when I heard Nick Gage had come in last week, I thought they were setting up a big match for like a month away, but then it just happened! That seemed a bit rushed.

gmoney

His not really a big name you should build for weeks though to be honest. Plus he's a bit shit so a prolonged build to see him shamble about might have disappointing. When they brought him out last week I thought Jericho was going to fight him there and then and was a little surprised they gave it a week's build, but in hindsight after the Matt Cordona thing, this was the peak time and waiting that week was pretty perfect.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 29, 2021, 11:44:00 PM
They've also been promoting these shows as PPV style events, so we'll see what happens when they go back to regular weekly shows. There's a slight tinge of WCW in how they cram big matches into their weekly programming. It might hurt in the long run, they can't just keep signing new big names.

Slightly uneducated opinion, though, as I'm not really watching all the product every week. But when I heard Nick Gage had come in last week, I thought they were setting up a big match for like a month away, but then it just happened! That seemed a bit rushed.

AEW has a huge roster and there's still tons of marquee matches they haven't even so much as teased yet. For example, off the top of my head, Cody and Mox have never really interacted, same with Hangman and Mox. Or Darby and Omega.

They're really good at protecting people and not over-saturating things. Someone like Wardlow is a great example, a guy with a ton of potential but doesn't wrestle every week. His Dynamite matches have been minimal but always special.

Plus they only have four PPVs per year. They've always said TV is their lifeblood.