Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:54:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Mobius on September 08, 2021, 12:34:09 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/pjylyn/aew_dark_ep_107_spoilers_tag_team_decides_to_tear/

The Acclaimed are genuinely hilarious. Love em

That was a really good Dark last night - apart from the first two squashes every match had some kind of storyline element. Elevation was good too - it's so much better when Eddie's on commentary, I could listen to him winding up Schiavone for ever.

Ja'moke

Yes, really good episode of Dark. AEW should definitely be looking to pick up Lee Moriarity, he could fit in that new class of young up and comers with Yuta, Garcia, and Dante.

Excited for Dynamite tonight. Only three matches announced but all strong (Mox v Suzuki, Black v Dustin, Ruby v Jamie). Interested to see the recent debuts and new stories kicking off.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Mobius on September 08, 2021, 12:34:09 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/pjylyn/aew_dark_ep_107_spoilers_tag_team_decides_to_tear/

The Acclaimed are genuinely hilarious. Love em

I liked Robert Anthony corpsing. Wouldn't mind seeing him pick up a win or two at some point, he seems like a decent performer.

Ja'moke

Hobbs vs Dante added to Dynamite tonight, another potentially great match. I wouldn't mind a Dante win and getting a Dante v Kenny match in the coming weeks.

Spode

Think Owens would be my dream pick for a move to AEW. Years of being fodder for champions at WWE and still one of their most over wrestlers every time he shows his face.

Meanwhile, Cornette is at it again. I know he hates Omega but picking apart his mic work at the end of the PPV is the work of an obsessed maniac. Also tried to claim that Punk Allin was the only 'Wrestling' match on the whole PPV.  Proper dickhead

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Spode on September 08, 2021, 08:14:43 PM
Meanwhile, Cornette is at it again. I know he hates Omega but picking apart his mic work at the end of the PPV is the work of an obsessed maniac. Also tried to claim that Punk Allin was the only 'Wrestling' match on the whole PPV.  Proper dickhead

What wrestling does he actually like? He reminds me of someone on Twitter I once saw who was adamant that the only good promotion is MLW.

Deanjam

It's a grift. He makes his living from sad fuckers who hate AEW, Japan, and women. Cornette's best ignored. Like Russo, he's burned all his bridges in wrestling and is never coming back.

Ja'moke

QuoteOfficial statement from WWE: "Paul Levesque, a.k.a. Triple H, underwent a successful procedure last week at Yale New Haven Hospital following a cardiac event. The episode was caused by a genetic heart issue and Paul is expected to make a full recovery."

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 08, 2021, 09:46:01 PM
Official statement from WWE: "Paul Levesque, a.k.a. Triple H, underwent a successful procedure last week at Yale New Haven Hospital following a cardiac event. The episode was caused by a genetic heart jackhammer issue and Paul is expected to make a full recovery."

peanutbutter

Surely AEW could be charged with something or another by WWE for how they steal the initial entrance sound bits? Paul Wight's new theme begins with a big "WEEELLLLLLL", Punk's still has the static noise I think too?

Obviously not if AEW are doing it, I guess, but it seems like the kind of pedantic thing WWE would've been all over.

Gurke and Hare

I don't know anything about the Wight theme, but isn't Cult of Personality just a song that Punk liked, rather than anything WWE created? I can't see how they can stop him using it in AEW.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah TK would have fully licensed the Living Color song and you can't really copyright a bit of static. Must admit I'm not sure about Wight's theme, his match was the only bit of the PPV I skipped through so I've not really heard it.

Old Thrashbarg

Punk's theme for most of his time in WWE was This Fire Burns by Killswitch Engage, which they wrote specifically for WWE to use as a theme for someone.

up_the_hampipe

Hope HHH is alright. What constitutes a "cardiac event"? That's wording I've never seen, it's like when they described Bin Laden's murder as "compromised to a permanent end".

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on September 08, 2021, 10:20:03 PM
Punk's theme for most of his time in WWE was This Fire Burns by Killswitch Engage, which they wrote specifically for WWE to use as a theme for someone.

Didn't he dislike that theme too? Makes sense that it was just written for WWE rather than specifically for Punk.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 08, 2021, 10:16:43 PM
I don't know anything about the Wight theme, but isn't Cult of Personality just a song that Punk liked, rather than anything WWE created? I can't see how they can stop him using it in AEW.
Not cult of personality though, there's a bit of static beforehand. It's been a WWE trick since the Jim Johnston era for bigger wrestlers to have some immediately recognisable sound so the crowd pops the second the song starts, that concept in itself wouldn't be copywritable but the specific sounds and their intent seems like it oculd be.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 08, 2021, 10:18:52 PM
you can't really copyright a bit of static.
I would hope so, but this is America we're talking about here.

Don't think the Wight one is literally the word "well", but it's a groan that's clearly there to illicit the same response.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 08, 2021, 10:23:43 PM
Didn't he dislike that theme too? Makes sense that it was just written for WWE rather than specifically for Punk.
Possibly unpopular opinion but I thought that was a DRASTICALLY better theme for Punk than Cult of Personality and after it being associated with that classic moment of his entrance at MITB it was a big disappointment to hear it be changed.

Still think Cult of Personality is a shit wrestling theme tbh, at least for someone who doesn't have some massively bloated Apollo Creed style entrance.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 08, 2021, 10:22:29 PM
Hope HHH is alright. What constitutes a "cardiac event"? That's wording I've never seen, it's like when they described Bin Laden's murder as "compromised to a permanent end".
It's a heart attack but a phrasing to clarify it wasn't a major one, I think?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 08, 2021, 10:30:54 PM
It's been a WWE trick since the Jim Johnston era for bigger wrestlers to have some immediately recognisable sound so the crowd pops the second the song starts

On that topic, the new Santana and Ortiz theme is a terrible downgrade from the previous one. The old one had that helicopter, marching feet, dog barking opening that was exactly this, and now they just have a very generic wrestling theme.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 08, 2021, 10:30:54 PM
Possibly unpopular opinion but I thought that was a DRASTICALLY better theme for Punk than Cult of Personality and after it being associated with that classic moment of his entrance at MITB it was a big disappointment to hear it be changed.

No, I agree with that. Add to the fact that I didn't know he'd used Cult of Personality before so when it hit for the first time that moment was lost on me.

Magnum Valentino

Two things from someone who spends more time than is normal listening to old wrestling music.

Paul Wight's new theme doesn't start with the 'well', but it's one of the first words sung. I think it's the same singer, but a completely different song.

And the Killswitch Engage song was originally used by Randy Orton but he hated it. There's footage of one or two early entrances on Youtube but can't link from my phone. Not sure if it was written for Orton specifically, or just to be used by a wrestler. I do think ditching it and picking up Cult of Personality again helped Punk shed the angsty rock kid element of his straight age persona just as he was beginning to get too old for it.

Ja'moke

The chemistry in all the matches on Dynamite tonight have been a little off.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 09, 2021, 12:03:31 AM
Paul Wight's new theme doesn't start with the 'well', but it's one of the first words sung. I think it's the same singer, but a completely different song
Just looked this up and they do use the same singer! That's really clever of them, there's no way WWE could really make any kind of claim on someone else's actual voice but beyond that it's a pretty neat continuation

I do think ditching it and picking up Cult of Personality again helped Punk shed the angsty rock kid element of his straight age persona just as he was beginning to get too old for it.
That's fair enough, yeah. I still think it's quite bad as a wrestling theme though.

Danielson's new theme clearly isn't a great song, but it's got the chant built into it in a way that _should_ lead to some fantastic entrances where everyone gets quiet for the first bit before hyping themselves up with the chant before Danielson comes out. Think he could probably come out alongside the chant too.

Mobius

Ja'moke

Bad timing issues on Dynamite tonight, the main event felt really rushed.

That Dan Lambert guy could have had his segment cut to free up time. Ethan Page doesn't need a mouthpiece.

Mobius

Yeah agreed. Weirdly paced episode, lots of talking which I guess is unavoidable with all of the new faces but in that case, leave out Dan Lambert. His guys aren't even doing much. Definitely the sort of stuff you put on your other shows.

Not a bad episode, but not the first time they've failed to really capitalise off of a huge PPV.

rjd2

g.

And the Killswitch Engage song was originally used by Randy Orton but he hated it. There's footage of one or two early entrances on Youtube but can't link from my phone. Not sure if it was written for Orton specifically, or just to be used by a wrestler. I do think ditching it and picking up Cult of Personality again helped Punk shed the angsty rock kid element of his straight age persona just as he was beginning to get too old for it.

Really didn't suit Orton at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbfuHLtLqkQ

Mobius

Reports from the crowd that the Pac Vs Andrade match which was just recorded for Rampage, absolutely banged (as expected) definitely looking forward to that one.

Timothy

According to Meltzer the idea of Adam Cole's main roster debut and role was to change his name (Vince didnt want two Coles), turn Keith Lee heel and assign Cole the manager role. Like Lashley and Rush.

Ugh.

Ja'moke

They might as well have signed Cole's AEW contract for him if that was the case.

peanutbutter

Why Bryan Danielson went to AEW: Wrestling Observer Radio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRZhqAfrC7E

Sounds like Danielson had massive reasons to stick with WWE even though he'd personally have rathered leaving. That he tried to negotiate other wrestlers being allowed to NJPW sounds great, like, very much trying to negotiate from a perspective that's the best for the business as a whole.
Bit surprised to hear he likes Vince absolutely loads but I imagine it might be a dynamic where they're both very direct with each other and each kind of enjoy the conflicts?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 08, 2021, 03:12:41 PM
Yes, really good episode of Dark. AEW should definitely be looking to pick up Lee Moriarity, he could fit in that new class of young up and comers with Yuta, Garcia, and Dante.

Following up on this, Tony Khan offered Lee Moriarity an AEW contract during the Elevation tapings last night (which he accepted). Great signing, Moriarity is a star in the making.