Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:18:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on September 13, 2021, 04:49:00 PM
He's made me laugh my ass off twice on Twitter recently.

He posted a pic of "Methanie" today too. Respect to the Pillman's for being up for all this (presumably).

Deanjam

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 13, 2021, 05:51:15 PM
He posted a pic of "Methanie" today too. Respect to the Pillman's for being up for all this (presumably).

I imagine they are. Brian Sr was synonymous with bleeding reality into fiction. No doubt his son would understand the potential benefit of doing the same.

Deanjam

Can't wait for the reaction if he doesn't. Anyway, they should have Big E to be the first wrestler to announce ahead of time he's going to get his title shot at Wrestlemania and have him beat Roman clean. But they won't.

Deanjam

Somehow the Big E tweet led me to this. Big E cracking up the room with Big Meaty Men Slapping Meat.

https://twitter.com/wiretap804/status/1437468040871006215

Mobius

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on September 13, 2021, 06:49:02 PM
they're all but saying please watch tonight, we're changing the title https://twitter.com/WWEBigE/status/1437458929198542850

"intends" ... so there'll be some fuckery

Lashley Vs Orton for the title, for fans of restholds. I assume there's some interference and they do the same match at the next PPV..

BeardFaceMan

Really enjoying some of these Suzuki Incident tweets.

Ja'moke

SRS reporting that Gargano's contract is up in December.

Mobius

Well he's older than 30 and under 6 foot, so I can see him leaving. Triple H obviously loves him and he's been a big NXT for years, but who knows what the fuck NXT is gonna be going forward.

Another old indie friend of the AEW guys, I can see him coming over.

Ja'moke

Gargano is a great wrestler obviously, but he is one I don't think AEW needs. They have so many guys on his level or better at this point. And he isn't big name like Bryan or Owens.

But yeah, he's probably coming over. Like you say, he's old friends with the Bucks and when they did a Reddit AMA years ago they listed Gargano in the first five wrestlers they'd sign if they had their own promotion.

I'd be more interested in DIY coming in as a tag team than a Gargano singles run.

Mobius

Big E champion then.

Probably get Kofi'd soon but may as well enjoy the moment whilst it lasts.

Deanjam

I like Big E, so very happy for him. But yeah, all depends on what they do with him as champion. Not a fan of the babyface cashing in on the injured heel, but that's modern wrestling for you.

The whole point of wresting is seeing a face battle to the summit against insurmountable odds. That way, not only do you get the pay-off, there's weeks/months/years of build to that pay off that keeps the punters watching.

This isn't that. This is just desperately shoving the belt onto someone loved in a fit of panic. Short termist hotshot booking to stave off a ratings crisis.

Why would you watch any further? They'll bungle the fuck out of this, just as they have every other non "main guy" title run of the past 10 years.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 14, 2021, 06:56:13 AM
The whole point of wresting is seeing a face battle to the summit against insurmountable odds. That way, not only do you get the pay-off, there's weeks/months/years of build to that pay off that keeps the punters watching.

This isn't that. This is just desperately shoving the belt onto someone loved in a fit of panic. Short termist hotshot booking to stave off a ratings crisis.

Why would you watch any further? They'll bungle the fuck out of this, just as they have every other non "main guy" title run of the past 10 years.
Cant think of an example off the top of my head but I feel like WWE have a track record of abruptly giving someone their first title, having them lose it and making a narrative out of a chase for them to reclaim it. They're definitely really really bad at appreciating the value of a build into a first title reign.

BeardFaceMan

I'll never understand why people call Vince a creative genius, the man is fucking clueless. He goes on about how WWE make movies but he hasn't got a clue about story or character. And it's so frustrating because you have a company filled with talented people that are being hamstrung by an old out-of-touch carny.

Ja'moke

Happy for Big E, he seems like such a good guy.

What's the deal with Dynamite this week? Only three matches announced and none of them "major," which is surprising given this is one of the biggest crowds they've been in front of, their first show in the Tri-State area, and the show that was originally meant to have Blood & Guts. I expected a big main event.

up_the_hampipe

I really hope they give Big E a chance as champion. Honestly, it's hard to picture him as a legit main event star, but he's charismatic, funny and extremely likeable, so I want to see what he can do in that spot.

sevendaughters

I think it is an interesting move but yeah in terms of 'wrestling logic' it is daft. The thing with WWE for me is not that the stories are bad (and they really stink) but the whole experience feels like homework drenched in corporate talk. WCW at its dying worst was far better than WWE is now. Maybe now there's a war on Vince will make more weird and interesting moves that gather some energy around the show. But I doubt it. They're in fealty to appearing sellable rather than trying to defeat AEW on their terms.

BeardFaceMan

It definitely feels like selling is WWE's priority at the moment, not their product.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 14, 2021, 04:23:59 PM
What's the deal with Dynamite this week? Only three matches announced and none of them "major," which is surprising given this is one of the biggest crowds they've been in front of, their first show in the Tri-State area, and the show that was originally meant to have Blood & Guts. I expected a big main event.

They've added Mox and Eddie vs 2.0, seemingly as part of what is now the Suzuki Incident storyline. Which isn't really main event material either. Darby vs any other of The Pinnacle would probably be main event level, but probably not Spears. Have they ever done Darby vs MJF?

I do think there's a > 0 chance that Leyla goes over Jade.

Ja'moke

Leyla and KiLynn King had a really good match on DARK tonight.

Not watching new NXT but seeing the live tweets and it sounds hilariously messy. Random no name big guys showing up with dumb new names replacing the previously announced NXT originals in tonight's title match.

Mobius

Yeah at work so can't watch, but sounds like not my cup of tea.

Kyle O'Reilly just being removed from the match and replaced with "Von Wagner" is hilarious though. I know it's a new show, but just literally shove some no-name into your main event? LA Knight is in the match, despite having a pointless match for no reason earlier in the show, losing to the Steiner kid who was having his first match ever.

They've also got an Italian mafia stereotype character called Tony D'Angelo

And they've already renamed that Steiner kid from Rex Steiner, to Bron Breaker

They're putting the NXT title match before the wedding.

Mobius

So funny Vince/Bruce/Dunn decided NXT was too dark so now they've lit the place up like it's a game show instead. Incredible company

letsgobrian

Quote from: Mobius on September 15, 2021, 02:37:41 AM
Yeah at work so can't watch, but sounds like not my cup of tea.

Kyle O'Reilly just being removed from the match and replaced with "Von Wagner" is hilarious though. I know it's a new show, but just literally shove some no-name into your main event? LA Knight is in the match, despite having a pointless match for no reason earlier in the show, losing to the Steiner kid who was having his first match ever.

They've also got an Italian mafia stereotype character called Tony D'Angelo

And they've already renamed that Steiner kid from Rex Steiner, to Bron Breaker

They're putting the NXT title match before the wedding.

I suspect someone tipped off the Steiner kid that if he wants to be a Steiner anywhere else after WWE, he can't let them trademark it.

Ja'moke

Dan Lambert is bringing Paige VanZant to Dynamite tonight. Can we get Thunder Rosa vs PVZ?

Custard

They're now teasing a Hurt Business reunion to battle New Day. Which actually sounds quite good

Mobius

Just watching clips on reddit, but really enjoyed Jericho and Lambert going at each other.

Ja'moke

The cards for next week are insane. Can't believe we're getting Bryan v Omega this soon, but glad they've kept it non-title.