Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:36:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 25, 2021, 04:38:04 PM
I do appreciate that Punk is trying to bring a traditional match style, but it seems a touch too slow in places for AEW's audience.

He should persist. Tanahashi's wisdom on these matters is very interesting.

Quote from: Hiroshi Tanahashi
During my U-30 IWGP Champion reign (2003-2005), I used to criticize wrestling styles that involve  excessive use of moves as "McDonalization of Wrestling". Here, I'm talking about wrestling that you can readily enjoy like fast-food. Type of wrestling where you throw in moves after moves, and make spots that will make the crowd on their feet as much as possible, so that the fans can enjoy them conveniently and efficiently.

As a result, wrestlers and matches start to lack in their color or individuality. In the end, there will be more wrestlers with same moves resulting in same kind of matches.

When you think of fast-food, it has its benefit for being simple, but in the long run, it has its downside as well.

As opposed to the "McDonalization of wrestling", I tried to make every move matter... and constructed matches in style that has "introduction, development, turn and conclusion". That may be one of the reasons why I looked out of place during that period in NJPW.

And at that time, I didn't have what it takes to convey my intention to the crowd. Yet I had the ideal of "What a match should look like" from long ago, so I never had a doubt in what I was doing.

I wanted to give attention to the "space" in between my moves. If I throw in moves after moves, the crowd will be deprived of their opportunity to enjoy those "space" between the moves. The kind of "space" that the famous Ric Flair created in his matches. And when they are lost, you fail to give audience the aftertaste of each move. The beauty of pro-wrestling will be lost forever.

Pro-wrestling is about dealing with mannerism. As the chairman of BUSHIROAD (owner of NJPW) Takaaki Kidani always say, "Entertainment is done for when people are bored with the product". And I agree with that. The more progress "McDonalization of wrestling" make, the faster fans will lose interest in the product. The fans will lose their expectation for the coming product in the future.

As for mannerism, there is a case when a certain move is sublimated from an ordinary "cliché" to a level of "art". For example, I consider moves like Inoki's Enzugiri and sequence where Ric Flair is thrown off the top rope, to be art.

It's a test of endurance with the fans until it is established as their favorite routine. You have to keep on doing it to a point where the fans beg "I want to see Flair thrown off the top rope!"

When you perform a new move, people will be confused or not react at all at first. But you can't just give up there. You must be patient until it is established. I underwent an emotional conflict, but I kept on going with the style I believed in.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 25, 2021, 04:38:04 PM
It was a bit of a sloppy shop, and he was never the most graceful performer to begin with. But that Hobbs chap seems like a bit of a lumbering burden as well, so not an easy night for Punkers. The top rope Hurricanrana spot especially made my balls vanish.

I do appreciate that Punk is trying to bring a traditional match style, but it seems a touch too slow in places for AEW's audience.

It may just be one of those situations where the chemistry isn't there, like with Punk and Elijah Burke, or Sammy and Matt Hardy, but while it was a long way from the drizzling shits, it could have been better. And yeah, I thought Hobbs was done after getting dumped on his head like that, that was nasty.

up_the_hampipe

Just watched the Kanyon episode of DSOTR. Respect to Brian Cage for openly admitting that he reacted unfavourably at first when Kanyon came out to him. So many guys from that time would be tempted to change the narrative, now that society has changed so much. Being honest about that journey from intolerance to acceptance can help open the eyes of others. I feel bad for James Mitchell, despite his hilarious telling of events (YOU MOTHERFUCKA!!), seems he had to experience Kanyon at his absolute worst. Just a real brutal story, must be so terrible living with that condition but also horrible for the people around him, poor Matt Jackson having to take that call at 19. And if there's any truth to the speculation that Kanyon's sexuality influenced Undertaker's decision to give him one of the nastiest chair shots I've ever seen, then that's a televised hate crime.

Still, there was something a little more optimistic in this one than last week. Everyone involved showed that there are good people in wrestling, even from older eras.

Mobius

Why is there only 1 Extreme Rules match on the Extreme Rules PPV

BeardFaceMan

Because it's WWE. Do you expect anything else from them at this point?

gmoney

Brutal dropkick into a knee on New Japan Strong. Almost certainly accidental. I love this show. Fantastic Jay White vs Wheeler Yuta match on this week's ep.

gmoney

First time watching WWE in ages. That 6 man was pretty good. Fairly certain the crowd noise is being sweetened though. 

Deanjam

Typical over-produced "we make movies" WWE bullshit. Glad I didn't bother watching it.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: gmoney on September 27, 2021, 01:30:18 AM
First time watching WWE in ages. That 6 man was pretty good. Fairly certain the crowd noise is being sweetened though.

I know they've used crowd noise on taped shows before but they've been doing that for live shows since the Thunderdome, haven't they? 

Custard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 25, 2021, 07:33:59 PM
Just watched the Kanyon episode of DSOTR. Respect to Brian Cage for openly admitting that he reacted unfavourably at first when Kanyon came out to him. So many guys from that time would be tempted to change the narrative, now that society has changed so much. Being honest about that journey from intolerance to acceptance can help open the eyes of others. I feel bad for James Mitchell, despite his hilarious telling of events (YOU MOTHERFUCKA!!), seems he had to experience Kanyon at his absolute worst. Just a real brutal story, must be so terrible living with that condition but also horrible for the people around him, poor Matt Jackson having to take that call at 19. And if there's any truth to the speculation that Kanyon's sexuality influenced Undertaker's decision to give him one of the nastiest chair shots I've ever seen, then that's a televised hate crime.

Still, there was something a little more optimistic in this one than last week. Everyone involved showed that there are good people in wrestling, even from older eras.

Is that when they made him dress up like Boy George, and then Taker proceeded to batter him? Hilaaaarious.

This fucking company

Can you imagine being a grown adult and working for the biggest wrestling company in the world and even thinking up that scenario? Let alone having the front to sit down and script it, then hand it to other human beings to perform? Everyone involved (except Kanyon) should be shot out of a cannon. Hope they feel deeply ashamed, but somehow I doubt it. Carny cunts

MrMrs

grown adults should be ashamed to work for wrestling companies though

but aye that was horrendous, jail mark mccool

BeardFaceMan

Just wanted to echo that Brian Cage came across really well here, it was nice to see an episode where everyone wasn't a total piece of shit. Other than Taker and the WWE corporate stooges on Howard Stern, obvs. I can't imagine how heartbreaking that must have been for Kanyon to have had that call from Flair.

Ja'moke

That was a fun Elevation. Loved all the behind the scenes Grand Slam stuff. And wow what a promo from Scorpio Sky, didn't know he had that in him to be honest. That felt real. I wish they'd get rid of Dan Lambert and let Sky and Ethan cut their own promos on TV.

Custard

Rumours abound that maybe Summerslam will be in Cardiff next year
https://www.sescoops.com/2021/09/update-on-wwe-running-major-ppv-in-the-u-k-next-year/

After the huge success of SS 92 it's surprising they never held any major shows in the UK again. I'm not counting Rebellion etc, but proper PPVs

THE BRITISH BULLDOG IS GONNA WIN
WHETHER HE WANTS TO OR NOTTT

Ja'moke

The UK is definitely due a big stadium show like that.

Custard

They're pretty much guaranteed a rabid crowd, aren't they? It'd certainly be a lively event

BeardFaceMan

Wonder how long it will be before AEW get over here, I know they had plans before the pandemic hit. Craven Cottage holds around 20,000, they could probably sell that out with ease.

Magnum Valentino

So has Flair just got away with it then, just by saying "didn't do it"? Internet just swallowed the story and shat it out into its past?

Deanjam

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 28, 2021, 09:44:40 PM
So has Flair just got away with it then, just by saying "didn't do it"? Internet just swallowed the story and shat it out into its past?

Well he seems to have lost a gig with AEW. And WWE have publicly distanced themselves by removing him from their opening credits (hilariously replacing him with Ultimate Warrior). He seems out of wrestling for the first time ever, really. Will he worm his way back? Probably. But for now he's gone.

Custard

Yeah, it will cost him quite a bit financially. I imagine AEW had a pretty handsome contract ready for him

By all accounts Flair has burned through all the money he ever made, and was never good at investments or saving. Hence why he's constantly looking for money making opportunities, at 72. But bleak really, he should be living like Scrooge McDuck and not having to worry

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 28, 2021, 09:44:40 PM

When it comes to making the stewardess touch his cock, that is his defense. His defense for everything else was "Yes, I did all that, I've talked about it many times before, why are you bringing it up now?". Like JR said, Flair gets a pass for being Flair. Tommy Dreamer seems to have faced more repercussions from that episode than Flair, which is insane (Jericho's "forgiven!" after Dreamer's apology is so fucking cringe I don't even know where to start).

Ja'moke

AEW Dynamite in Rochester tonight. I'm expecting some tribute to Brodie that will probably make me cry. Hoping we get a Hangman return too.

up_the_hampipe

I'm quite excited about Bron Breaker. He's like the best parts of the Steiner bros combined. His promo on this week's NXT was simple but great "You want a friend? Go get a dog!".

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 29, 2021, 02:01:34 PM
AEW Dynamite in Rochester tonight. I'm expecting some tribute to Brodie that will probably make me cry. Hoping we get a Hangman return too.

To reunite the Dark Order? Maybe, but I was thinking it might be at the Virginia show in a few weeks. They've said that tonight will be dedicated to Brodie.

Have they announced a fifth match yet.

Spiteface

There was a rumour that Windham Rotunda was going to waive the remainder of his no-compete to appear tonight, but Big Dave is under the impression that isn't happening. Page returning to TV makes the most sense, then maybe we'll see if they're going to actually stick to the plan of him beating Kenny Omega for the AEW title.

cliggg

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 29, 2021, 05:14:22 PM
Have they announced a fifth match yet.
They have now! A 16 man tag match, it could be a mess or could be entertaining, probably will be a bit of both.
https://mobile.twitter.com/tonykhan/status/1443270687225958402?s=21

Gurke and Hare

Sixth match announced! Mox/Eddie/Darby vs Bear Country and Anthony Greene.

Mobius

Adam Cole and Jungleboy have instant chemistry. Great match.