Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:28:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 12, 2021, 01:56:41 PM
Did you miss Punk putting on a banger of a match with Daniel Garcia last week? Why are we acting like Punk is ONLY cutting promos.

We're not, we're just acting like the promos he's been cutting have been repetitive and boring. Remember you saying I didn't like how he was booked purely because of my preconceived notions about him? Well, the reverse applies to you, you're not going to accept the slightest bit of criticism of your hero and long may the lovefest continue. Which is fine if that's what you want on your TV, but there's a growing number of people who are getting tired with it and want him to do something else, even his fans. As has been mentioned, I can only hope it's all a work and he'll use the lovefests as a thing to hit the fans with when he turns heel.

And while a good match, 'banger' is a bit of a stretch. The match Bryan had with Omega, now that was a banger. Bryan was definitely the signing that got me most excited and it's been proving that way too.

Timothy

Banger isnt a stretch. Excellent match.

Punk has been back for a few weeks now. His first few promos were great. The great to be back act is getting a bit stale now but his matches so far didn't disappoint. I also like him on commentary.

I also think its a bit unfair to keep comparing him with Bryan and Cole's workrate. They have been wrestling for years. Punk has just returned. Only logical he is taking things a bit more slowly before he gets back into full gear.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 12, 2021, 02:56:50 PM
Remember you saying I didn't like how he was booked purely because of my preconceived notions about him? Well, the reverse applies to you, you're not going to accept the slightest bit of criticism of your hero and long may the lovefest continue.

I think Ja'moke's loyalty lies more with AEW than Punk.

As fun as it's been to hear Punk on commentary, and we all know he's a good promo, I do get the sense they've not been sure how to use him on a weekly basis. It's not quite Bret in WCW, but they're struggling to find a place for him outside of his occasional matches. I have more faith in AEW that they'll figure it out. Just personally, I wouldn't have held him back. He doesn't need to work on the level of Bryan and Cole, but it would be nice to slot him in a major program as soon as possible. If it's long term booking for a bigger storyline where all of this is put in context, then I'll happily eat my balls.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 12, 2021, 03:25:46 PM

As fun as it's been to hear Punk on commentary, and we all know he's a good promo, I do get the sense they've not been sure how to use him on a weekly basis. It's not quite Bret in WCW, but they're struggling to find a place for him outside of his occasional matches. I have more faith in AEW that they'll figure it out. Just personally, I wouldn't have held him back. He doesn't need to work on the level of Bryan and Cole, but it would be nice to slot him in a major program as soon as possible. If it's long term booking for a bigger storyline where all of this is put in context, then I'll happily eat my balls.

This is starting to feel like the more likely explanation to me, like there was no thought put into this beyond 'bring Punk back'. Now he's actually back, he's spinning his wheels a bit.

Another problem for me is that he said in his first promo back that he's not the Voice of the Voiceless anymore because AEW is here, and he's right, the revolution happened in his absence and he declined to be a part of it, multiple times. That's why I think it's all the more shit he's coming out with ice cream bars and the like, because that moment is gone, a once-in-a-lifetime moment that he couldn't take advantage of through no fault of his own. On the one hand he's saying he's not that guy any more and on the other he's trying to give the people that guy, and it's not working. I said before, it doesn't feel like with Bryan where he's saying he's not coming to AEW to wind down his career, he's there to go out on a high, with Punk this feels like a greatest hits retirement tour. He needs to leave all that behind and do something new.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 12, 2021, 03:25:46 PM

Haha, yeah, Punk probably wouldn't even crack my top ten all-time favorites. I just have faith in AEW based on its booking so far (outside of the women's division, which I've criticised a lot). It's only been a few weeks, and Punk has acknowledged these criticisms on screen. That makes me believe there is a self-awareness and a plan in place.

And for me, that is fine for the moment. This is Hangman's time to shine in the main event, and Bryan and Cole can do the Elite battles. Punk can bide his time, gets his pops, shake off the ring rust, and then when the time is right he can get into something juicier. A heel straight edge Punk versus beer-loving Hangman practically writes itself.

On a side-note, as repetitive as Punk's love-fest promos might be, none were as bad as Bryan's WWE style Kenny "no balls" Omega promo from a couple weeks ago. While Punk is shaking off his ring rust, Bryan needs to shake off his WWE promo stench.

Timothy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 12, 2021, 03:39:59 PM
That's why I think it's all the more shit he's coming out with ice cream bars and the like, because that moment is gone, a once-in-a-lifetime moment that he couldn't take advantage of through no fault of his own.

He still had that once-in-a-lifetime moment when he returned a few weeks ago. He might not have been at the start of it but he returned right in the middle of it all.

His debut was great. Couldn't have been better imo.

Timothy

Just saw this odd commercial of a WWE RAW watching Chucky that aired during Raw yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdfB36l-kys

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on October 12, 2021, 04:06:15 PM
Just saw this odd commercial of a WWE RAW watching Chucky that aired during Raw yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdfB36l-kys

WWE bringing back another WCW legend.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 12, 2021, 03:47:25 PM
It's only been a few weeks, and Punk has acknowledged these criticisms on screen. That makes me believe there is a self-awareness and a plan in place.

I did wonder if Punk drawing attention to his trainers (the same brand as those worn by the Bucks) was sowing the seeds for a turn. But then he gave them to a fan after his promo, so maybe not.

It does feel a little anticlimactic, but I think it was always going to, no matter which way they booked him. The hype and expectation were so far off the chart, nothing could have lived up to expectation. And the good thing is that it doesn't have to. The card is so stacked, the roster so strong, I'm not exactly turning off disappointed that Punk hasn't been involved in anything significant.

Ja'moke

Those worried about Bray potentially coming into AEW need not be worried. Tony Khan about Bray Wyatt: "He's a great wrestler, and I have to be honest, we haven't talked at all. I've known him in personal life, but in reality, we haven't talked. But you never know."

Ah, but then he would say that, wouldn't he?

Bray's probably at home enjoying a bit of downtime with his family. He was on such a big retainer, he can probably afford to put his feet up for a bit and come back and do something interesting when the time's right for him.

BeardFaceMan

And talking about a stacked card, there's literally no room for him there. It would be nice if they could get enough success with Rampage to go to 2 hours, definitely don't want to see a 3 hour Dynamite every week.

Gurke and Hare

The Bryan Danielson vs Bobby Fish match has been brought forward from Saturday's Dynamite to an hour-long buy-in show on YouTube before Rampage on Friday. Presumably there'll be more than that in the hour as they aren't actually selling anything during it.

Edit: that's wrong, they'll both be in different singles matches on the show.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 12, 2021, 06:11:28 PM
The Bryan Danielson vs Bobby Fish match has been brought forward from Saturday's Dynamite to an hour-long buy-in show on YouTube before Rampage on Friday. Presumably there'll be more than that in the hour as they aren't actually selling anything during it.

Edit: that's wrong, they'll both be in different singles matches on the show.

Yeah, as your edit says, both in singles matches. Bobby Fish will be taking on Lee Moriarity (I was hoping Bryan would get Moriarity) and Bryan's opponent is to be determined.

I'm enjoying this back and forth AEW vs WWE battle for this coming Friday.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 12, 2021, 06:47:16 PM
I'm enjoying this back and forth AEW vs WWE battle for this coming Friday.

Counter-programming to the counter-programming, love it.

If Bryan's opponent is going to be at the same kind of level as Moriarty, maybe Anthony Green? He's looked impressive in Dark matches too.

Speaking of Dark, I'd love to see a longer edition of the Ruby vs Emi match last night. I can't get over how good Ruby is, it's unbelievable that she got released.

Ja'moke

Ruby needs a new finisher though because that kick thing she does has never looked any good and rarely gets a reaction. Emi Sakura (who is fantastic) used about 20 different cool moves in that match, maybe she could give one to Ruby as a new finish.

Mobius

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1448020810954911750?s=20

Bryan Danielson Vs Minoru Suzuki, FRIDAY! (on Youtube before Rampage)

BeardFaceMan

Ja'moke

Tony, you absolute mad man!

Back to the topic of ratings, Raw only did 1.5 mil last night, its lowest since July. That was also against the MLB playoffs (and NFL). So the baseball is playing a factor in AEW and WWE's lower ratings the past couple of weeks. The MLB is doing its highest ratings in years.

Gurke and Hare

Ahahahaha amazing! Looks like I'll be staying up Friday then.

Gurke and Hare

Just casually dropping it in at the end of the tweet like that is great.

Mobius

Crowbar on Elevation, very cool. Seems like a nice guy

Gurke and Hare

Will Ospreay is working an upcoming MLW show. Wrestling's just gone brilliantly mad.

BeardFaceMan

Jericho has talked about trying to bring him in before, it won't be long before he makes an AEW appearance.

Moribunderast

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 14, 2021, 12:55:19 AM
Jericho has talked about trying to bring him in before, it won't be long before he makes an AEW appearance.

Ospreay vs Fenix plz Tony

Custard

Wasn't Ospreay revealed to be quite the cunt doing the #SpeakingOut stuff?

Magnum Valentino

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 14, 2021, 09:36:31 AM
Yeah BUT he can do a backflip.

Pretty much. Everyone knew what he prick was before then from his Twitter anyway, it changed nothing because, well, he can do a *really* good backflip. Gotta be honest and say I've never seen an Ospreay match, mainly because when he was getting hot all I'd hear was how was trying to kill himself in the ring, the ridiculous bumps he was taking, how he's not going to be walking by the time he's 30 etc. That type of thing may be thrilling to watch but I have no interest in encouraging guys to hurt themselves like that so I've never watched him.

Gurke and Hare

So Tony Khan has "accidentally" leaked the Full Gear card - he was  photographed at a Jaguars game with a piece of paper facing the camera supposedly showing it.

https://i.redd.it/vnh9ngaxbat71.jpg

Clearly, there's not actually any way in which he didn't know exactly what was going on there, and this isn't the full actual card, though I'm sure it's an approximation. Surprised to see
Spoiler alert
Jade vs Rosa
[close]
on there, although it does make some sense given recent angles, as I thought they were going to build to
Spoiler alert
Britt defending against Jade
[close]
at the PPV.