Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:03:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

My first thought when watching the Sting/Darby/Team Taz streetfight, as well as Darby's vignettes was that they could do worse than have Darby sit in on some production meetings and offer ideas on how they could make things look a little different. Obviously not go the full Lucha Underground cinematic route but I think he could have some interesting suggestions.

I'm perhaps being overly critical because I generally like AEW's production outside of the regular sound issues but given my disdain for WWE's production, I feel like trying to find notable points of difference is someththey should strive for.

Anyway, Dynamite... how great was the feel-good ending? Best Friends are such a great team for those moments and giving them (I think specifically Orange) the Pixies theme song was a stroke of genius. Between that, Jungle Boy and Jericho's entrance, I can't wait for big live crowds to be back. Dynamite will feel like a two-hour singalong! I hope Khan keeps buying licensed theme music when inspiration hits because that IS a point of difference and I think it makes guys look like stars when they have recognisable music from outside the world of wrestling.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah that was a pretty perfectly executed gimmick match. Statlander coming back was nice touch, and she posted a pretty great pic of the plexiglass she smashed into Ford's face with a perfect imprint of her makeup on it. Orange Cassidy has been hurt by the lack of crowds more than most, I think he was one of the most, if not the most over guy they had when they had crowds, they way the crowd would react when he threw his kicks was incredible. Still remember that first match he had with PAC, the crowds were red hot for him.

Ja'moke

After her match at the Stardom show tonight, Bea Priestley gave a speech saying it was her last match in Japan and that she's leaving Stardom.

She heading back to AEW now? Or has NXT snapped up another one?

Spiteface

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 03, 2021, 01:45:07 PM
My first thought when watching the Sting/Darby/Team Taz streetfight, as well as Darby's vignettes was that they could do worse than have Darby sit in on some production meetings and offer ideas on how they could make things look a little different. Obviously not go the full Lucha Underground cinematic route but I think he could have some interesting suggestions.

I'm perhaps being overly critical because I generally like AEW's production outside of the regular sound issues but given my disdain for WWE's production, I feel like trying to find notable points of difference is someththey should strive for.

Anyway, Dynamite... how great was the feel-good ending? Best Friends are such a great team for those moments and giving them (I think specifically Orange) the Pixies theme song was a stroke of genius. Between that, Jungle Boy and Jericho's entrance, I can't wait for big live crowds to be back. Dynamite will feel like a two-hour singalong! I hope Khan keeps buying licensed theme music when inspiration hits because that IS a point of difference and I think it makes guys look like stars when they have recognisable music from outside the world of wrestling.

The only possible issue I have with that, is the danger you end up with wrestlers who have music more over than they are.

Gurke and Hare

Can't imagine Priestley going back to AEW - didn't they drop her at the same time as Havoc following the #SpeakingOut stuff?

kitsofan34

WWE are steadfast in their commitment to having everyone with even the slightest tangential connection to the Speaking Out scandal on their books, so I'd bet that's where Priestley is going.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 04, 2021, 01:37:47 PM
Can't imagine Priestley going back to AEW - didn't they drop her at the same time as Havoc following the #SpeakingOut stuff?

It was around the same time but not due to the Speaking Out stuff. Priestely and Sadie Gibbs were released because they couldn't get their US work visas renewed due to COVID.

Pretty sure Tony Khan and Jericho said the door is still open for both in the future once the world opens back up. And Priestely was just about to start a programme with Nyla (who was champ at the time) before the pandemic.

Deanjam

New Japan news

Spoiler alert
Ospreay is the new IWGP champion
[close]

MrMrs

can you explain why and how?

Also, anyone know when the show following mania will be?

Ja'moke

WON:
QuoteThe biggest news from the show is that after losing, Bea Priestley said that this was her last match in Stardom. When she didn't sign a new contract with New Japan, she also didn't sign a new deal here and she made this decision some time back. She is leaving Japan. The only thing I can say is that she's not going to AEW and the rest would be the same conclusion everyone else would come up with, which is the place she's not allowed to say if she's going there and thus she's said nothing. This was kept quiet because if it had been said ahead of time it would have given away the result of the match.

Tokyo Sports also reporting that Bea has a family emergency and needs to be back home for a while. So I'm assuming she's NXT UK bound.

Ja'moke

Is there such a thing as too much wrestling?

And that's just WWE content.

Deanjam

Raw #1 I'll skip. HOF I'll catch up with after work next day, see if there's any funny speeches. NXT I'll watch after work next day too. Usually something good on those. Smackdown I'll probably have on in the background as it's Friday night. Mania #1 I'll probably stay up for as it's a Saturday night and I'm intrigued as to how the live crowd will react to each wrestler. Night 2 will be a split between staying up and finishing it off next day. Raw will depend on if there's a crowd there.

I always look forward to Mania weekend, no matter how shit WWE is at the time. I can't help it.

Ja'moke

I'm mostly interested in WM for the fans being back and, as you say, how they'll react to certain people. As for the card, I'm interested in Roman/Bryan/Edge, Rollins v Cesaro, and Sasha v Bianca (despite the shitty build).

NXT TakeOver Night 1 I'll catch up the next day because I'll still be watching Dynamite live. Then will watch NXT TakeOver Night 2 live.

Raw can get fucked though, even the post-WM one, which sucked last year. It's back to the Thunderdome after WM, so no live crowd.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 05, 2021, 04:39:20 PM
Raw can get fucked though, even the post-WM one, which sucked last year. It's back to the Thunderdome after WM, so no live crowd.

Then it can indeed get fucked.

BeardFaceMan

Its still shit even with the crowd these days, isn't it? The last time I saw the post WM Raw, the commentators started with all that bizarro crowd bullshit and trying to book around it, totally spoiling it.

Spiteface

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 05, 2021, 05:14:57 PM
Its still shit even with the crowd these days, isn't it? The last time I saw the post WM Raw, the commentators started with all that bizarro crowd bullshit and trying to book around it, totally spoiling it.

Classic case of something being mildly entertaining until it becomes something WWE tries to make into "a thing"

This was definitely the case when I last watched a post-Mania Raw (which would have been 2014).

Unless there's something really good, I really can't bring myself to watch WWE anymore. I enjoy AEW, a bit of New Japan, that's about it.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah it was great when it happened spontaneously, a truly unique show. Then WWE tried to own it and they fucked it. I've been meaning to watch a Raw for a while now just to see how bad it really is as a show but keep putting it off, I think I might check out the post WM-Raw.

Deanjam

I'm interested this year as it's been over 12 months since we've had a genuine crowd reaction. Will be interesting to see how the fans really feel about each wrestler. Yes, it's low hanging fruit, but I get my pleasure where I can find it.

MrMrs

who will be the first person in front of a crowd then? hunter, obvious choice. Daniel Bryan? Sasha? Drew?

Deanjam

Knowing WWE they'll probably have it be fucking Bad Bunny.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Deanjam on April 05, 2021, 06:09:15 PM
I'm interested this year as it's been over 12 months since we've had a genuine crowd reaction. Will be interesting to see how the fans really feel about each wrestler. Yes, it's low hanging fruit, but I get my pleasure where I can find it.

Dunno if you'll get too much of that, more a crowd of people that are just happy to be there.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on April 05, 2021, 06:38:54 PM
Knowing WWE they'll probably have it be fucking Bad Bunny.

It'll be Hogan won't it. Ugh.

BeardFaceMan

My money is on Vince coming out first to address the crowd.

Mobius

Ja'moke

Ja'moke

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 06, 2021, 06:39:19 PM
Mike Tyson returning to AEW this week: https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/04/06/aew-dynamite-mike-tyson-tony-khan

Does anyone care?

The desperate chase for 1 million continues. Once again they won't get it.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 06, 2021, 06:47:59 PM

I think this is more to undercut TakeOver which they're up against tomorrow. But I still see TakeOver doing higher ratings.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 06, 2021, 06:47:59 PM

Stunt booking past-it celebs certainly won't do it.