Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:42:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
BT Sport showing both nights of TakeOver live, decent.

Spode

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 06, 2021, 06:39:19 PM
Mike Tyson returning to AEW this week: https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/04/06/aew-dynamite-mike-tyson-tony-khan

Does anyone care?

On the one hand, they're pissing in the wind this week so it seems pointless even trying to compete with NXT. At the same time, I suppose that means they can throw in a stupid Tyson segment without it having to have any continuity because barely anyone will see it and if it brings in a few extra viewers it might be worthwhile for them.

Big TK in hype mode again though.

BeardFaceMan

Also sounds like they're sending a message to WWE - "Yeah we know it's WM week but we're still competing with you, we're not scared of you," etc.

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 06, 2021, 01:01:36 PM
Meltzer's thoughts on current AEW booking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKSDabhqoL8

Couldn't get through that. His talking style is the same his his writing style, which is pretty appalling considering how long he has been a professional journalist.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 06, 2021, 06:39:19 PM
Mike Tyson returning to AEW this week: https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/04/06/aew-dynamite-mike-tyson-tony-khan

Does anyone care?

Didn't he almost fall asleep last time? Must be nice to have a billionaire dad. I'd pay Gillian Anderson to come round my house and play X-Files scenes with me.

Deanjam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 06, 2021, 07:42:38 PM
Also sounds like they're sending a message to WWE - "Yeah we know it's WM week but we're still competing with you, we're not scared of you," etc.

Couldn't get through that. His talking style is the same his his writing style, which is pretty appalling considering how long he has been a professional journalist.

I've let my Observer account expire. I have the WOL video sub now and don't miss Dave at all. He's never been great at talking but he's gotten awful recently. Not as bad as his Twitter, but pretty poor.

Timothy

I dont want AEW to waste screen time on someone like Mike Tyson. I rather have them give that time to the wrestlers on their roster.

Bringing in Tyson during Mania week just to show WWE that theyre not afraid is just dumb. I cant imagine AEW fans being happy or getting excited about this and I doubt it will bring in any new viewers beyond that segment. And no one will change the channel from Takeover to see what Tyson is going to do.

Long term there is nothing to gain from having Tyson there.

Speaking of WWE. Is it me or is the Mania card quite bad? Not much reason to watch the show besides the return of the live crowd.

BeardFaceMan

That's why they are doing it though, a short term bump because they think their ratings are going to be hurt by Takeover, so they bring in a big, flashy name in order to get some eyes on them. I'm not happy about him being brought in but it's already got people talking about AEW so you can see why they did it. They must have got pretty good ratings and feedback when they used him last time so are using him again.

Timothy

The only thing I remember of Tysons appearance in AEW was him yawning and seemingly falling asleep.

BeardFaceMan

Weren't they gearing up to do an angle with Jericho v Tyson where they had a match? And he's a big, mainstream name, far bigger than someone like Shaq.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on April 06, 2021, 08:16:55 PM
Didn't he almost fall asleep last time? Must be nice to have a billionaire dad. I'd pay Gillian Anderson to come round my house and play X-Files scenes with me.

He was caught yawning when he was the guest for the first TNT title match between Cody and Lance Archer.

But he was meant to be gearing up for a match with Jericho, apparently. They had that big face off on Dynamite. But then Tyson took the exhibition boxing match he had to go train for. So I assume they're going to pick that back up? Maybe he aligns with the Pinnacle. But that's all very 90s DX.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 06, 2021, 08:38:51 PM
That's why they are doing it though, a short term bump because they think their ratings are going to be hurt by Takeover, so they bring in a big, flashy name in order to get some eyes on them. I'm not happy about him being brought in but it's already got people talking about AEW so you can see why they did it. They must have got pretty good ratings and feedback when they used him last time so are using him again.

Tyson's Dynamite segment didn't particularly draw that well last time, I don't even think it was the highest of the night, and didn't do over a mil like Shaq's segment and match did.

Timothy

Tyson vs Jericho would bring a lot of eyes to AEW but I cant imagine it being anything else then a shitshow of a match.

Its a shame the viewers decline. Most shows have been great.

Spode

Quote from: Deanjam on April 06, 2021, 08:16:55 PM

Well up for Billionaire Dad giving his opinion on segments like Adam Buxton's dad on the Adam and Joe show.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 06, 2021, 08:46:16 PM
But he was meant to be gearing up for a match with Jericho, apparently. They had that big face off on Dynamite. But then Tyson took the exhibition boxing match he had to go train for. So I assume they're going to pick that back up?

Possibly, it may be the start of something, they havent said how long they're bringing him in for. I'd be suprised though, Jericho is right in the middle of the Inner Circle/Pinnacle thing.

Quote from: Timothy on April 06, 2021, 08:48:34 PM
Tyson vs Jericho would bring a lot of eyes to AEW but I cant imagine it being anything else then a shitshow of a match.

You just have to remember that Tyson isn't being brought in for us, the wrestling fans, it's to get attention, to bring in new fans. For the fans, at it's worst it's just going to be one segment ruined on a show they otherwise enjoy, no problem. But the point is to bring in new viewers who are intrigued by the Tyson announcement in the hope they like what they see and tune in next week, that's the long-term gain they're going for.

Ja'moke

They should try bringing in like BTS or Babymetal or something to appeal to a brand new audience.

By the way, if I had a billion pounds, I'd definitely try and start my own wrestling company. What would your wrestling show look like if you had a spare billion kicking around?

BeardFaceMan

They really should be trying something new, instead of just bringing in the same old celebs that have been proven to not be a draw. They really do feel like WWE-lite in that department, like theyre just copying WWEs old ideas. I mean, can you imagine how much convincing it must have took to get Vince to go along with Bad Bunny, but at least theyre trying something new, going with the likes of him and Logan Paul, they're going for a totally new audience. AEW are trying to go after the same old audience and it isn't working.

Deanjam

Bunny & Paul are sensible picks if you want to attract a younger audience that probably doesn't know what wrestling really is beyond John Cena memes. Trouble is, if your product is stale and shit then no one will be converted. Whenever celebs have been used to great success (Mr T & Cyndi Lauper in 84; Tyson in 98; those basketball lads in WCW 97) the product was hot and fresh, begging for an audience. Who could watch a modern day 3 hour Raw and think that this is cutting edge entertainment.

Ja'moke

Yeah, and the Bad Bunny/Logan Paul fans are more likely to just watch a 60 second clip of whatever they did on the show in an IG video, rather than sit through 3 hours of Raw.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Deanjam on April 06, 2021, 09:11:36 PM
Bunny & Paul are sensible picks if you want to attract a younger audience that probably doesn't know what wrestling really is beyond John Cena memes. Trouble is, if your product is stale and shit then no one will be converted. Whenever celebs have been used to great success (Mr T & Cyndi Lauper in 84; Tyson in 98; those basketball lads in WCW 97) the product was hot and fresh, begging for an audience. Who could watch a modern day 3 hour Raw and think that this is cutting edge entertainment.

Oh I agree with that, no one is going to stick around and watch WWE because of those two, my point is more that it's WWE who are trying new things in that department to bring in new fans while AEW are relying on the same tired old celebs that wont bring in the audience they are after.

Deanjam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 06, 2021, 09:16:00 PM
Oh I agree with that, no one is going to stick around and watch WWE because of those two, my point is more that it's WWE who are trying new things in that department to bring in new fans while AEW are relying on the same tired old celebs that wont bring in the audience they are after.

You have to think that anyone who is a fan of Tyson is on the older side and has already tried wrestling when he was in WWE. Shaq seemed to bring in some fans, but clearly they didn't stick around.

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 06, 2021, 09:13:33 PM
Yeah, and the Bad Bunny/Logan Paul fans are more likely to just watch a 60 second clip of whatever they did on the show in an IG video, rather than sit through 3 hours of Raw.

Indeed. I mostly take in Raw through youtube clips and I'm an actual wrestling fan.

up_the_hampipe

As if they're doing the HOF ceremony in front of those fucking screens. What a waste. God I can't wait for the "Thunderdome" to die.

Gurke and Hare

80s World of Sport wrestling in its death throes, trying to meet the challenge of this new-fangled American stuff head on by getting the wrestlers to cut promos. Not 100% disastrous, but mostly not great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zkNTRidOxs&t=30s&ab_channel=JNLister

Deanjam

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 07, 2021, 02:11:25 AM
As if they're doing the HOF ceremony in front of those fucking screens. What a waste. God I can't wait for the "Thunderdome" to die.

Sounds like it was a very missable show. Think I'll pass on it.

Watching JBL gloating about bullying so many people with a shit eating grin on his face as he soaks up the thunderous canned cheers and chants. Fuck off you Bluetooth speaker-named midcard cunt.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 07, 2021, 08:13:35 PM
Watching JBL gloating about bullying so many people with a shit eating grin on his face as he soaks up the thunderous canned cheers and chants. Fuck off you Bluetooth speaker-named midcard cunt.

Bischoff doing a 3-Minute Warning reference to awkward silence followed by piped-in cheers. Pure agony. If they couldn't do this in front of a crowd, why was this the other option? I know there's a lot wrong with their Hall of Fame generally, but it's clearly something that means a lot to these folks, so give them something. Make it look like an intimate industry event, similar to what they did with the Grammy's. You can get a whole roster in the building, put them out there! Kane worked for the WWE for over 25 years, and his reward is giving a speech in front of some kids on their webcams. I'm glad the inductees seemed happy regardless, but man I wouldn't blame them for feeling robbed.

MrMrs

anyone else sick of hearing about peacock?

Spode

Not a dry eye in the house for this year's Warrior Award recipient but then I do live underwater. With pickles for eyes.

Ja'moke

The early photos of the WrestleMania stage look cool.
Spoiler alert
Big ass pirate ship.
[close]

Magnum Valentino

Wasn't last year's Wrestlemania also pirate themed? Is Wrestlemania now pirate themed forever?

Spiteface

Yes, they're even rehiring Paul Burchill.

(This is a lie)