Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 17, 2021, 01:52:24 PM
I dunno, he's had some great matches against people his size - Sammy at Revolution, and Starks on Dynamite a while back.

It's different now he's the champion though. He's always been the underdog, the scrappy little tough guy, so even against guys the same size as him he was seen as overcoming the odds. Now he's the champion that dynamic is gone, and he certainly can't bump around the ring for the likes of Jungle Boy the way he can against Brian Cage or Big Show. Most of his matches have been based on him selling and overcoming, it will be interesting to see how that changes when he's on top and going against someone his size.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 17, 2021, 01:41:39 PM
It should be a banger, but I hope Tay/Shida gets the main event.

I'm hoping Tay v Shida opens, so that they can get the match with no adverts.

And, yeah, Darby has proven he can go against a variety of opponents and seems to draw ratings regardless of who he's against. But this is a big test, more so in the sense that it's two of AEW's youngest homegrown stars in the main event.

In fact, this whole upcoming show has a very homegrown feel. Christian is the only ex-WWE talent on the card (I'm not counting Tay who was developmental and Trent who was there for a cup of coffee). Darby, Jungle Boy, Starks, Hobbs, Shida. A big test for AEW's young talent.

Back to Darby, my fantasy booking is him going through challenger after challenger every week on Dynamite before finally getting destroyed by Miro at Double or Nothing.

BeardFaceMan

A documentary on Stone Cold aired last night and it's supposed to be a cracker, getting a lot of praise. And it's on A&E so it doesn't look like it's WWE-produced, so it should be good viewing.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 19, 2021, 08:13:07 AM
A documentary on Stone Cold aired last night and it's supposed to be a cracker, getting a lot of praise. And it's on A&E so it doesn't look like it's WWE-produced, so it should be good viewing.

It's still a WWE Studios production, just in conjunction with A&E. But the WWE docs are nearly always great, so I will check it out at some point.

BeardFaceMan

Ah that's a shame, I was hoping there was no WWE involvement. Not that their docs aren't good but they are a bit sugarcoated and self-congratulatory, would be nice to see a proper doc about one of their big stars without their involvement.

MrMrs

any mention of the repeated domestic violence?

kitsofan34

What kind of sick, twisted game is the dang Fiend up to now with his latest merch drop?

Mobius

At least it's not Velveteen Dream merch I suppose.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 19, 2021, 08:13:07 AM

Watched this last night. It's essentially the Austin doc WWE did just with a new crew, very little new information. Still a good watch though, there might be some talking heads and tidbits that weren't in the original.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 20, 2021, 12:17:00 PM
Watched this last night. It's essentially the Austin doc WWE did just with a new crew, very little new information. Still a good watch though, there might be some talking heads and tidbits that weren't in the original.

Yeah, it's still good to watch a career retrospective on some like Stone Cold, he had quite the career and influence. I feel very lucky to have got back into wrestling around the time he started getting over with the Stone Cold character, to see that become the juggernaut it was was quite something. And it's been said many times but to have him and The Rock both active at the same time? We'll never see the likes of that again. Rock is in this new doc too, isnt he?

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, Rock's in it. Paints a really wholesome picture of their relationship from the very beginning, calls him a big brother figure. Not sure if that's PR Dwayne Johnson spinning a yarn, as I'd heard there was animosity between them as Rock started to rise. Who knows with these carnies!

BeardFaceMan

That's the trouble with behind-the-scenes stuff in wrestling, you never know how much is a work as they generally keep working even after they've stopped wrestling, that's why I find it all so fascinating. Whenever you hear Rock or Austin talk now though they're always glowing about each other, was good hearing him on the recent Jericho podcast talking about his matches with The Rock.

Ja'moke

I was reading a recap of Raw and I had to double-check I wasn't accidentally reading last week's recap. What repetitive, uninspired, lazy shite.

You can't even enjoy Raw in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. It's not as if it's a ridiculous train wreck that you can't keep your eyes off. It's just dull, and, as I said, lazy. That's the word that comes to mind. Rematch after rematch, non-finish after non-finish, titles that don't mean anything. It's shocking to me that nearly 2 million people can still watch that week after week.

Old Thrashbarg

The main event on this week's Elevation is well worth watching. Featuring Takeshita again. He's going to be something special if he sticks around.

Moribunderast

Yeah, really good match (albeit with some DDT-style shenanigans some won't like) and I agree about Takeshita. Has a great look and seems to wrestle very well. I have no idea if he's with AEW officially, if he's moved to America, if he's on excursion or what.

Gurke and Hare

He's said that's it, and he has to go back to Japan now, but he wants to be on Dynamite in the future. Hope he makes it back.

Ja'moke

Oh wow Blood and Guts is gonna be a one match 2 hour show.

Tay and Shida killed it. What a match. Crazy how good Tay has gotten over the past year.

gmoney

Positives: Billy Gunn

Negatives: Derby back in his daisy dukes and pantyhose

Didn't think much of the Elite angle this week. Where the fuck were they supposed to have gone? Felt a bit WCW. And Jericho 's promo was dreadful. I thought MJF was pretty great though, and Wardlow didn't disgrace himself.

Ja'moke

I assume The Elite just ran away, but yeah they didn't make it very clear. I love Mox and Eddie doing anything together though. "Wait til I move first."

Both title matches were great. And I'm still thinking Darby is going to beat everyone til he gets to Miro at Double or Nothing, and I'm down for that.

Jericho was definitely off this promo game this week. Santana showed him up.

BeardFaceMan

I want to watch a sitcom starring Mox and Eddie where they get into scrapes and/or shenanigans every week. And then beat the fuck out of people.

Ja'moke

I forgot to say that Hobbs vs Christian was ace too. Christian sold his arse off to make Hobbs look like a beast while using his crafty veteran experience to get the win.

Ja'moke

QuoteAEW Ratings 4/21/21: .37 / 1.104m (2nd)

Surely getting the number 1 spot next week now that The Challenge is FINALLY over (well, there is a reunion show, but still).

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 22, 2021, 09:35:16 PM
Surely getting the number 1 spot next week now that The Challenge is FINALLY over (well, there is a reunion show, but still).

Which does raise the question - if they're getting ratings like this, if they're on course to be the number 1 rated show for the night, then how are they supposed to increase their viewership? It feels like they've done all they can do on a Wednesday, they need to get that new show started to capitalize on all this.

Just saw Mickie James video of her getting her stuff returned to her by WWE in a trash bag, then HHH & Steph tweeting that it was one rogue person that did this, albeit to several other released wrestlers, but it's all OK because we fired them. Only a few other female wrestlers have said the exact same thing happened to them in the past too. The lack of respect that company has for their employees is quite staggering.

MrMrs

addicting to airing dirty laundry, these pathetic carnival clowns 🙂

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 23, 2021, 07:55:55 AM
Just saw Mickie James video of her getting her stuff returned to her by WWE in a trash bag, then HHH & Steph tweeting that it was one rogue person that did this, albeit to several other released wrestlers, but it's all OK because we fired them. Only a few other female wrestlers have said the exact same thing happened to them in the past too. The lack of respect that company has for their employees is quite staggering.

A fucking ridiculous story. Sick of these wrestling dramas over absolutely nothing. The use of a bin bag wasn't some personal slight, it was probably used as a safe and easy way to protect the clothes, instead of just being in the box. Wrestlers are deeply insecure and entitled people, now someone has lost their entire job because Mickie thought she'd been disrespected by having her clothes delivered in a bag. What's worse is these sycophantic losers on Twitter big them up and turn the story into something bigger than it ever needed to be.

BeardFaceMan

Edit - nah, pointless.

up_the_hampipe

I saw what you wrote. You really think they did it as a purposeful slight? You've never seen clothes being moved in bin bags or covered in bags when boxed up? It's usually to prevent things like water damage, even if it's not very effective. Mark Carrano was also just a fall guy for something they've been doing for years. There's a lot of things he should be fired for, but this is ridiculous.

BeardFaceMan

No, not a purposeful slight, just hugely inconsiderate. You're right he's a fall guy though, this type of behaviour is a company problem, not a one man problem. Nothing has been fixed by his firing because the people who enabled and encouraged his behaviour are still there.

Yeah, you probably don't want to get your stuff in a bin bag after you've been fired, even if you were happy enough to put your clothes in a bin bag to transport them yourself.

That said, she knows exactly what sort of company she was working for, so she can hardly complain now that the leopards have eaten her face.

Deanjam

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 23, 2021, 10:50:42 AM

That said, she knows exactly what sort of company she was working for, so she can hardly complain now that the leopards have eaten her face.

Indeed. Anyone who takes a job there should be aware of who they're getting into bed with. Doesn't make it okay, but everyone tows the big happy family line until they're the ones to get shat on.

Sad thing is, like everyone else, she'd go back and work there again.