Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:55:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Moribunderast on May 05, 2021, 05:57:53 AM
So apparently Bryan Danielson's WWE contract is expired. According to Meltzer WWE are (unsurprisingly) pushing hard for him to re-sign. I always figured, despite his comments about wanting to do matches elsewhere in interviews, that he'd remain in WWE to keep Brie and Total Bellas happy. The fact he hasn't re-signed while actually under contract is interesting though. I won't yet dare to dream of him in New Japan and AEW but I'd dearly love it to be so.

Retire and open up a wrestling school. Chasing the buzz in bingo halls isn't really necessary.

Ja'moke

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 05, 2021, 06:19:15 PM
Retire and open up a wrestling school. Chasing the buzz in bingo halls isn't really necessary.

It wouldn't be bingo halls though would it? He could tour all the top promotions and do a bunch of dream matches, from AEW to NJPW to ROH to Impact to AAA to CMLL to Dragon Gate and so on.

kitsofan34

Exactly. It'd be like that time he did a tour of the indies when WWE sacked him for choking out Justin "The Nonce" Roberts with a tie. But on a bigger, brighter stage, for more money.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 05, 2021, 02:23:30 PM
Right, but the 90 days thing is usually when wrestlers are released before the contract ends isn't it? So effectively, there's a standard clause in the WWE contract allowing them to give wrestlers 90 days' notice - gardening leave, essentially. But when a contract expires, you can't be bound by it any more.

If AEW did sign him though, would it be announced by a surprise appearance, or would it make more sense ratings wise for them to announce him on a Monday, with "Bryan Danielson is All Elite and will be on Dynamite on Wednesday"?
When you're contract expires, they offer 90 days gardening leave, you can choose to opt out. I believe Raven (showing how far back this goes) and Jon Moxley both opted out, the former discovering he stood to make drastically more doing dates close to his release than holding off.

Ja'moke

Blood & Guts tonight. I hope the match delivers given all the hype. There's no reason it shouldn't with the talent involved, but I can't say I'm not nervous of Sammy doing something crazy off the top of the cell.

Mobius

Pretty hyped for this one, should be great

Ja'moke

I thought that was mostly great but it kind of peaked about 5 minutes or so before the end. And the final bump onto the crash pad didn't look amazing, but crash pad bumps rarely do. Still, Jericho is 50, so I'll let him off.

Miro going for the TNT title next week. I can see him winning.

Old Thrashbarg

Yeah, it ran out of a steam a bit once the Inner Circle got completely on top. The finish needed to come pretty soon after that, instead of continuing the beating with no attempt to win for another 5 minutes or so. And they needed to show Jericho's bump from an angle that didn't make it plainly obvious that the 'metal stage' was painted cardboard.

Still, really enjoyable show overall. I'd love to see Omega v Pac again, but it looked like it was being set up for Cassidy to get the shot.

Gurke and Hare

Surely having the manager steal the keys to the cage from the ref so that you can escape should constitute surrender? Another endlessly fun show though, and they effortlessly set up another stacked card for next week.

Ja'moke

In other news, El Jefe himself Dario Cueto is back in wrestling, part of MLW, who seem to be doing a sort of Lucha Underground revival.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 06, 2021, 11:58:52 AM
In other news, El Jefe himself Dario Cueto is back in wrestling, part of MLW, who seem to be doing a sort of Lucha Underground revival.

Nice! I was hoping the whole Azteca Underground angle would lead to a Cueto return. The best Authority Figure ever outside of peak Vince and Bischoff, in my opinion.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 06, 2021, 11:19:20 AM
And they needed to show Jericho's bump from an angle that didn't make it plainly obvious that the 'metal stage' was painted cardboard.

They really need to stop with these 'big' spots, they rarely turn out well. The commentators saying it was concrete, it being painted like metal and then plainly being chipboard with crashmats when the camera was on it is really, really shit. Stop doing these kinds of spots or sort your production out.

That was my first time seeing a Blood & Guts/War Games match and I have to say, not a huge fan. The way the match is set up makes the first 20 minutes or so pointless, no real drama or suspense because you know shit isn't going to go down until everyone is in there so it's just guys doing moves with no pin attempts or kickouts or submissions or anything like that. And when shit did go down, it went down for a little too long. And with 10 guys in there at once it was hard to tell what was going on and where your focus should be, there was too much going on at once. Which is a shame as everyone worked their bollocks off and looked great, it was enjoyable enough but I hope it's not a gimmick that gets used a lot in the future. I'd rather they came up with their own stuff instead keeping on saying "this is something else we used to do years ago!"

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 06, 2021, 03:28:48 PM
They really need to stop with these 'big' spots, they rarely turn out well. The commentators saying it was concrete, it being painted like metal and then plainly being chipboard with crashmats when the camera was on it is really, really shit. Stop doing these kinds of spots or sort your production out.

Or just get commentary to stop overselling these environmental hazards. There's an unwritten contract with the audience that we know this stuff is rigged for stunts, but we'll allow it because of the spectacular visual, so don't then spoil it by overselling the hazard.

During the Shida/Conti match a couple of weeks back JR tried to sell the rubber mat on the floor as being so thin, it was basically for decoration more than protection, so they were effectively falling onto bare concrete, and the bullshitting pulled me right out of it. The competitors hit the floor, the flesh and leather slapping against the rubber makes a great impact sound, they are writing in pain, job done. I'm sold. No need to overegg it.

Plus if someone decides to pull the mat up later for a spot, where do you go now that you've declared there's no practical difference between the mat and the concrete?

Ja'moke

The stage itself is actually concrete, as Daily's Place is an amphitheater with a concrete stage area, so I get what they were going for. But when you build a box with a crash mat in it on top of the concrete, it isn't quite the same.

But again, these crash mat bumps have been happening in wrestling for years and are never particularly great. So I'm not sure why so many people are getting up in arms about this one as if it's the worst thing they've ever seen.

BeardFaceMan

No one is getting up in arms and declaring the worst thing ever, are they? Just a crap crash mat spot that they'd be better off not doing or finding a way to do it properly. Just because something has always been shit it doesn't mean it can be excused if it continues to be shit.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 06, 2021, 05:01:13 PM
No one is getting up in arms and declaring the worst thing ever, are they? Just a crap crash mat spot that they'd be better off not doing or finding a way to do it properly. Just because something has always been shit it doesn't mean it can be excused if it continues to be shit.

Not here. I'm talking about Twitter and Reddit. People acting like it's as bad as the sparkler botch.

BeardFaceMan

Well that's twitter and reddit for you, isn't it? Its not like it was a botch, it was just a normal, crappy mat bump that no one really wants to see.

Ja'moke

On the other end of the spectrum, that Darby steps bump was nuts. I'm sure he's taken falls like that skateboarding plenty of times, but still, that looked nasty.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah as soon as the camera changed angles you could see what was coming a mile off, and with his background I would have hoped he had some experience of falling down stairs and how to do it safely but he really did just look like he was thrown down some stairs, that looked like a bad fall. It's a shame that this is the style that got him over because he's not gonna be around much longer if he keeps this up, I'd like to see him pull back a bit on the 'trying to kill himself' stuff.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 06, 2021, 05:13:36 PM
Yeah as soon as the camera changed angles you could see what was coming a mile off, and with his background I would have hoped he had some experience of falling down stairs and how to do it safely but he really did just look like he was thrown down some stairs, that looked like a bad fall. It's a shame that this is the style that got him over because he's not gonna be around much longer if he keeps this up, I'd like to see him pull back a bit on the 'trying to kill himself' stuff.

The thing is, I feel like Darby is the one suggesting all these spots. He's also said he doesn't want to be wrestling into his 40s. So I think he'll give us this craziness for a few years before retiring.

BeardFaceMan

Oh yeah, you can tell its coming from him and he's having a blast doing it but he needs someone there saying 'no' to him from time to time. My worry is that if he carries on like this he won't even get a few years. I dunno, maybe it's my age, but I don't really like seeing "I can take a lot of punishment" gimmicks anymore.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 06, 2021, 05:15:31 PM
The thing is, I feel like Darby is the one suggesting all these spots. He's also said he doesn't want to be wrestling into his 40s. So I think he'll give us this craziness for a few years before retiring.

Heard that many times from people to justify doing crazy, dangerous shit. How many people actually walk away from wrestling, still healthy in their 30s?

BeardFaceMan

Yep, with what we know now about the kind of punishment these people take and the toll it takes on their bodies afterwards and what they do to cope with that, that's not the kind of gimmick I like to see any more.

Ja'moke

AEW Dynamite finally took the number one spot for the night:

Old Thrashbarg

Botchamania YouTube channel is gone as a result of copyright claims from AEW. Don't think that's a good move from them, even if they're frustrated at the reaction to the recent big-spot botches.

BeardFaceMan

Wasn't it TNT doing it on AEW's behalf without them knowing?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 07, 2021, 09:20:49 AM
Botchamania YouTube channel is gone as a result of copyright claims from AEW. Don't think that's a good move from them, even if they're frustrated at the reaction to the recent big-spot botches.

Don't think that's true. Maffew said he'd been in touch with AEW and they cleared it up last week.

Aubrey Edwards also said they were looking into the whole thing, because AEW's own music video channel got copyright striked. So it seemed like some automated thing.

BotchAMania has gone through a 100 different YT channels over the years. Nothing new.

Old Thrashbarg

Right, well if that's the case then that's more understandable. I was going off a couple of the recent episodes having messages saying they'd been removed due to copyright claims by AEW.

Timothy

Maffew on Twitter:

yes the Botchamania YouTube channel is down
no I don't know if it'll be back up

yes I'm talking to someone in AEW
no I don't know if it'll help

yes I've seen your nice messages
no I'm not in a tweeting mood (I've got food poisoning)

Ja'moke

This week's quarter ratings:

QuoteAEW Dynamite

Q1: 1,093,000 viewers and 551,000 in 18-49 (Kenny Omega & Michael Nakazawa vs. Jon Moxley & Eddie Kingston, plus the Young Bucks & Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson post-match attack)

Q2: 1,014,000 viewers and 524,000 in 18-49 (Cody Rhodes vs. QT Marshall)

Q3: 1,081,000 viewers and 547,000 in 18-49 (Rhodes vs. Marshall, the post-match, a vignette with Ethan Page, Scorpio Sky and Darby Allin and Britt Baker vs. Julia Hart) [This was the high point with women 35-49]

Q4: 983,000 viewers and 487,000 in 18-49 (Taz's interview on Christian and the SCU vs. Jurassic Express vs. Acclaimed vs. Brian Pillman Jr. & Griff Garrison tag title match for a title shot)

Q5: 1,031,000 viewers and 517,000 in 18-49 (Kenny Omega and Orange Cassidy segment, the Miro interview and the Moxley vs. Yuji Nagata package)

Q6: 1,144,000 viewers and 567,000 in 18-49 (Blood and Guts) [This was the high point with women 18-34]

Q7: 1,156,000 viewers and 572,000 in 18-49 (Blood and Guts)

Q8: 1,210,000 viewers and 614,000 in 18-49 (Blood and Guts) [This was the high point with males 18-34 and males 35-49, total viewers and overall 18-49]

Notes: Biggest Draw was the Blood and guts match though Kenny and Cody segments did well too.

QuoteNXT

Q1: 712,000 viewers and 180,000 in 18-49 (Leon Ruff vs. Isaiah Scott)

Q: 697,000 viewers and 203,000 in 18-49 (Ruff vs. Scott finish, Johnny Gargano, William Regal, Scarlett and Austin Theory and Cameron Grimes vs. Asher Hale)

Q3: 719,000 viewers and 223,000 in 18-49 (Franky Monet, Kacy Catanzaro and Kayden Carter interview and Grizzled Young Veterans vs. Tommaso Ciampa & Timothy Thatcher) [This was the show peak for women 35-49]

Q4: 772,000 viewers and 244,000 in 18-49 (The ending of Veterans vs. Ciampa & Thatcher and Regal with Gargano and Theory)

Q5: 809,000 viewers and 265,000 in 18-49 (Karrion Kross, Scarlett, Kyle O'Reilly, Pete Dunne and Finn Balor) [This was the show peak for men 35-49 and overall 18-49]

Q6: 763,000 viewers and 247,000 in 18-49 (Sarray vs. Zeda Ramier, the Walter zoom pep talk, LA Knight vs. Jake Atlas and Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell backstage) [This was the show peak for women 18-34.]

Q7: 772,000 viewers and 237,000 in 18-49 (Interview segments with Toni Storm, Legado del Fantasma and Kushida and Raquel Gonzalez & Mercedes Martinez)

Q8: 788,000 viewers and 239,000 in 18-49 (Grimes and Ted DiBiase segment plus the beginning of Shotzi Blackheart & Ember Moon vs. LeRae & Hartwell)

8-Minute Overrun: 859,000 viewers and 255,000 in 18-49 (End of the tag title street fight). [This was the show peak for males 18-34 and total viewers]