Author Topic: Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine  (Read 45523 times)

Re: Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine
« Reply #1410 on: July 21, 2021, 06:51:10 PM »
Love Punk's promo/character work. Not as big on him as a worker as some. He's just not that impressive an athlete. But he's had some great matches down the years, so he can go with the right opponent. Of course what wrestling needs is better characters, not workers, so that's not a problem.

Would honestly prefer Danielson though.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #1411 on: July 21, 2021, 06:58:23 PM »
Gonna be hard to listen to JR go on about Punk's Muay Thai training now we know what an awful fighter he is, would much prefer to see Danielson as the big name (its going to be a reveal for the new show isn't it?). I thought Punk was down on AEW anyway because they tried to contact him by text or something and he felt disrespected? At the very least it should be interesting interesting have Punk and Colt Cabana working in the same place.

« Reply #1412 on: July 21, 2021, 07:34:46 PM »
Love Punk's promo/character work. Not as big on him as a worker as some. He's just not that impressive an athlete. But he's had some great matches down the years, so he can go with the right opponent. Of course what wrestling needs is better characters, not workers, so that's not a problem.

Is there any chance both sign? I’d have thought Danielson was close to nailed on the longer his departure from WWE went. There’s got to be room for an angle with both of them coming at once, god knows big Tone loves a stable

« Reply #1413 on: July 21, 2021, 08:30:17 PM »
I'd love for him to come back. He's the reason I started watching wrestling again in 2011 and he set in motion a trend where indie stars were allowed to shine on the biggest stage. Not to mention he's one of the all-time great promos, could put on 5-star matches and has a naturally edgy personality that's more exciting to watch. Obviously, he returns for the right amount of money, but he also must have (or has been presented with) a creatively attractive idea to bring him in.

Couldnt agree more. Punk in AEW would be huge and absolutely awesome.

« Reply #1414 on: July 21, 2021, 08:53:40 PM »
AJ is probably on pretty massive money in WWE tbh, they booked him well early enough and he won over a lot of influential people (most notably Vince and Taker) that he'll always be viewed as a viable top level challenger by management. The fact he's tagging with a prospect like Omos in a down patch is a sign of how highly they rate his ability, the fact he could go anywhere else along with that would render him unreleasable so he should have a fuckton of bargaining power.

Only reason he wouldn't be on huge money is if he's a massive bootlicker (which he absolutely could be).

Ja'moke

• based on the novel Push by Sapphire
    • Inside Survivor
« Reply #1415 on: July 22, 2021, 12:58:03 AM »

It’s strongly rumoured that Bryan is AEW bound too.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #1416 on: July 22, 2021, 01:19:56 AM »
Nick F’N Gage outta nowhere.

« Reply #1417 on: July 22, 2021, 01:41:59 AM »
It’s strongly rumoured that Bryan is AEW bound too.

A few Twitter accounts saying it’s been signed tonight. Woof.

« Reply #1418 on: July 22, 2021, 02:39:56 AM »
Not watched WWE in yonks, the Nikki Cross character...is it over and is it absolute cringe?

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #1419 on: July 22, 2021, 01:37:04 PM »
I can't believe AEW signed Nick Gage. Ridiculous.

Moribunderast

• What is your place in my glorification?
« Reply #1420 on: July 22, 2021, 02:28:38 PM »
I can't believe AEW signed Nick Gage. Ridiculous.

Seems like a one-off, like the Jeff Cobb deal last year. I'm no fan but I'm happy AEW brings in random guys for matches like this. AEW is crazy. Good chance Punk and Bryan are coming in and on tonight's show you had Nick Gage showing up to fight Jericho, who's reverting to his NJPW gimmick to handle the challenge. You had an IWGP Title change on AEW television and then an NJPW wrestler challenging for next week's Dynamite. It's the kind of stuff you'd dream of during the WWE monopoly on Western wrestling. Add into that Impact getting Jay White... I'm loving this working relationship between basically everyone who isn't WWE.

Also, I'm still subscribed to Stardom World since the Syuri/Utami match convinced me to give it a try. Fucking great product. The house shows they put up are uniformly entertaining. 90 minutes long, no commentary but you get promos with subtitles. So many women on their roster are so good. Every time Utami and Syuri come face-to-face it's magic. Reminds me of Okada/Omega, Tanahashi/Okada, Rock/Austin, etc. Obviously not as huge business or crowd-reception wise as those but as a viewer I get so excited by their feud and it seems like it's pushing their business quite well at the moment. Also, Mayu Iwatani is the best babyface I've seen since early NXT Sami Zayn. Just perfect.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #1421 on: July 22, 2021, 03:28:05 PM »
I definitely think Gage is a one off like Jeff Cobb. It’s mimicking how Inner Circle made Mox jump through hoops before his title shot.

« Reply #1422 on: July 22, 2021, 04:12:04 PM »
Feel a bit sorry for Chavo with all the Gage, Punk and Danielson business going on. Any normal week he'd be headline news.

Magnum Valentino

• Formerly magval
« Reply #1423 on: July 22, 2021, 05:31:57 PM »
If he's still using Eddie's moves and mannerisms he doesn't deserve to be news.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #1424 on: July 22, 2021, 06:13:13 PM »
Chavo is a great pick up as a manager / backstage producer. He got a lot of praise for his behind the scenes work in LU and GLOW.

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #1425 on: July 22, 2021, 07:20:05 PM »
Oh my god they killed Mox. I guess the plan was for him to show up and work the two shows a bit nearer Vegas and now he'll spend some time with his baby.

Ridiculous how many things happen in an episode of Dynamite. Just flies by. I wonder if an Uso will be in a match with a Mysterio tomorrow?

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #1426 on: July 22, 2021, 08:47:52 PM »
Not watched WWE in yonks, the Nikki Cross character...is it over and is it absolute cringe?

Yes and yes.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #1427 on: July 22, 2021, 09:34:08 PM »
1.148 mil and 0.44 demo for AEW last night, up from the 1 mil last week. The company feels hot right now and if they really are bringing in Punk and Bryan over the next couple months… wow.

« Reply #1428 on: July 22, 2021, 11:11:01 PM »
I hope they sign Gage, he's class.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #1429 on: July 22, 2021, 11:25:13 PM »
I hope they sign Gage, he's class.

I didn't realise being a dangerous idiot was a good thing in wrestling now. I guess New Jack died too soon.

« Reply #1430 on: July 22, 2021, 11:34:58 PM »
Yes and yes.

Ha. Fair enough.

From what I seen of her before the gimmick when I watched more she always seemed pretty good, so heh fair play to her for getting herself over and making some money.

Typical though of the E , one of the few over faces who isn't a veteran has a gimmick that's so corny.

« Reply #1431 on: July 22, 2021, 11:38:18 PM »
I didn't realise being a dangerous idiot was a good thing in wrestling now. I guess New Jack died too soon.

I know its sleazy business, but he came across as a total berk in the Dark Side episode.

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
« Reply #1432 on: July 22, 2021, 11:52:34 PM »
https://www.bodyslam.net/2021/07/22/nxt-re-shoots-karrion-kross-segment-at-wednesdays-tapings-due-to-chants-of-hardy-from-crowd/

Who would have guessed having your boring champ who destroyed everyone in NXT get beaten in 2 minutes by Jeff Hardy on his first main roster match would have negative consequences

« Reply #1433 on: July 22, 2021, 11:53:04 PM »
I know its sleazy business, but he came across as a total berk in the Dark Side episode.

I've seen a fair few shoot interviews with the guy, and he's never as interesting or cool as he thought he was.

I remember watching "Forever Hardcore" (Jeremy Borash's unofficial ECW documentary with all the guys who weren't in Rise & Fall of ECW) and he's talking about the infamous scaffold match with Vic Grimes based on an earlier grudge, where he admits when he threw Grimes off he was trying to kill Grimes by aiming for the ring post. All I could think was, "knobhead"

Also, his side of the story of the Mass Transit incident.

There's also one of him, Honky Tonk Man and Iron Sheik talking about Benoit, also came off as a dick.

His run in early TNA with Shark Boy was kinda fun though.

« Reply #1434 on: July 23, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »
I'm a big fan of the hardcore/deathmatch stuff, of which Gage, Mox, Janela etc. are and were a big part of and I'm a fan of.

Old Thrashbarg

• Silver Member
« Reply #1435 on: July 23, 2021, 10:15:10 AM »
Presumably Gage will actually be made to stick to whatever is agreed with Jericho/AEW to happen in the match, rather than going off-script and trying to legitimately maim his opponent.

Moribunderast

• What is your place in my glorification?
« Reply #1436 on: July 23, 2021, 11:03:44 AM »
I certainly can't see Jericho agreeing to take a pizza cutter across the forehead or mouth. I am morbidly curious to see the match, however.

Even though I'm glad the love is being spread around all companies involved in the working agreement, it's kinda funny that Impact get Jay White for their current tapings and AEW get... Hikuleo. I'm just longing for the day Jon Moxley is getting bet down and Shota Umino runs out to save. The pop in my living room would be immense!

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #1437 on: July 23, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »
I certainly can't see Jericho agreeing to take a pizza cutter across the forehead or mouth.

Does it matter if he agrees to it? Doesn't seem like Gage's style to get consent from the performer he's working with.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #1438 on: July 23, 2021, 12:17:52 PM »
Wasn't Gage meant to come into AEW right when when pandemic hit?

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #1439 on: July 23, 2021, 03:43:54 PM »
Chavo is a great pick up as a manager / backstage producer. He got a lot of praise for his behind the scenes work in LU and GLOW.

Andrade making his feuding opponent wrestle Chavo on the same night first, only for the opponent totap out to the opening handshake, yeah, that'd be awesome

Tags: