Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:09:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rock-togenarians

Started by pupshaw, March 08, 2021, 10:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pupshaw

Looking for artists born before 1940. Amazing how many of the true stars were born in the 1940s, from Ringo Starr (7 July 1940) to Robin Gibb (22 December 1949)

But how many were born before 1940? They don't have to be still active, but the more active the better.

These two for starters...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Black (26 August 1938)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Hunter_(singer) (3rd June 1939)

NoSleep

First one that comes to mind is Ed Cassidy, the drummer for Spirit (and stepdad to guitarist Randy California) who was born in 1923 and had begun his music career before Jet Black or Ian Hunter had been born. He died aged 89 in 2012.

DrGreggles

Sadly (as of 2017) no longer with us, but The Beat's saxophonist Saxa was born in 1930.

Chicory

The wonderful Shirley Bassey (b. 1937) released a new album in November.

Petula Clark (b. 1932) is also still quite active.

Johnboy

NoSleep

Daevid Allen, born 1938 & Gilli Smyth, born 1933.

Yoko Ono, born 1933.

Obviously he's long gone, but Alex Harvey of SAHB was born in 1935.

boki

Hilda Woodward of Lieutenant Pigeon died in 1999 aged 85.

NoSleep

Elza Soares, born 1930 and has recorded three "post-punk" albums in the last five years.
Vi Subversa, born 1935 (singer of Poison Girls).

NoSleep

Tina Turner

...and Phil Spector

holyzombiejesus

A list of old people. Marvellous.

SteveDave

Punk rocker Jet Black was born on the 26th of August 1938, 38 days before rock n roller Eddie Cochran was born.

EDIT- Of course I missed his entry in the OP.

Oz Oz Alice

Alan Vega from Suicide was also born in 1938: sadly no longer with us but I was surprised when he died to find he was quite that old.

Jet Black was still playing with the Stranglers til comparatively recently, wasn't he? I know he came on to do a few songs when I saw them in 2014. Was very surprised to see him outlive Dave Greenfield.

The Culture Bunker

Tommy DeVito (b. 1928) and Nick Massi (b. 1927) were both well into their 30s by the time they started having hits with the Four Seasons. Given they were a teen-idol band, I'm not sure that would happen these days. 

Their frontman Frankie Valli was born in 1934, and I think was still touring fairly recently.

BlodwynPig

Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain

JaDanketies

Jerry Lee Lewis, still going at 85 too.

BlodwynPig

rue the polywhirl

Ray Manzarek of The Doors, born 1939. A bit dead since 2013 though.

rue the polywhirl

Members of krautrockers Can Holger Czukay and Jaki Liebezeit both died recently, aged 79 and 78. So close but didn't make the cut. Keyboardist Irmin Schmidt is an official rocktogenarian at 83.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on March 08, 2021, 11:04:32 AM
Yoko Ono, born 1933.

Obviously he's long gone, but Alex Harvey of SAHB was born in 1935.

He was 46 when he died.

I feel so old...

pupshaw

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 08, 2021, 02:13:59 PM
He was 46 when he died.

I feel so old...

Back in the mid to late 70s admiration for Alex Harvey was the most reliable indicator of good taste in music in a new acquaintance

JaDanketies

Willie Nelson: 1933 and still rockin

QuoteIn 2018, Nelson sang a song written by Daniel Lanois called "Cruel World" for the soundtrack of Rockstar Games's action-adventure video game Red Dead Redemption 2. Lanois wrote the song especially for Nelson. When a hurricane prevented Nelson from recording the song, the production team sent the track to Josh Homme in the hopes that he could record it in time for the game's release. Nelson was ultimately able to record the song in time in Los Angeles; the team considered combining the two versions into a duet, but ultimately included both versions in the game. Also in 2018, Nelson was one of several artists on Restoration, a cover album containing various country renditions of songs originally by Elton John, on which he performed "Border Song". His 2019 release Ride Me Back Home (Ride Me Back Home is the sixty-ninth solo studio album by American country music singer-songwriter Willie Nelson.) charted at number two on Billboard's Top Country Albums. For the title-track, Nelson received the Grammy Award for Best Country Solo Performance.

Following the U.S. coronavirus pandemic lockdowns that began in March 2020, Nelson livestreamed a series of benefit concerts. The first two raised $700,000 for people who had suffered financial loss due to effects on the U.S. economy. The third, which was held on April 20, 2020, was a variety show titled Come and Toke It. Some of the content was cannabis-themed, and some of the proceeds will be used to support The Last Prisoner Project, a restorative justice program relating to persons convicted of cannabis related crimes. The same year, Nelson was approached by Karen O of The Yeah Yeah Yeahs to collaborate. They chose to do a cover of David Bowie and Queen's Under Pressure.

Rizla

Nico, born 1938. Died in 1988 aged 49.

pupshaw

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 08, 2021, 02:39:49 PM
Wee Willie Harris: Still Rockin at 87!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wsbt94-Cpg

Got a suggested link watching that. Marty Wilde (born 1939) This is Your Life. Wee Willie is in it!
So, sadly is poor Billy Fury, looking just about dead (which he was a month later, they say)

ajsmith2

Quote from: pupshaw on March 08, 2021, 03:07:53 PM
Got a suggested link watching that. Marty Wilde (born 1939) This is Your Life. Wee Willie is in it!
So, sadly is poor Billy Fury, looking just about dead (which he was a month later, they say)

I was stunned to see when I glanced at that 2020 doc that WWH is still with us and still performing in his 9th decade, esp since I'd just watched his 70s appearance on the Wheeltappers and Shunters Club, where he already looks of pensionable age (and bizarrely makes his stage entrance dressed in what appears to be an early version of Colin Hunt from the Fast Show's get up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9reC-9i4fxw

LORD BAD VIBE

P.J. Proby - b. 6th Nov 1938
Engelbert Humperdinck - b. 2nd May 1936
Tommy Steele - b. 17th December 1936
John Leyton - b. 17th February 1936

Brundle-Fly

Tom Jones is 81 this year. Think I'm gonna dance now. Huurgh!