Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Social distance adherence locally

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 08, 2021, 10:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Almost no-one is adhering to the 2m social distancing regulations where I live.

Had to find an alternate route today when I went out for an essential appointment because someone was leaning on the side of the bridge making it impossible to walk past them and social distance.

Then I'm trying to dodge people walking past me, some of them not even leaving a 1m gap let alone a 2m gap. I know the risk walking past someone outside is relatively low but it seems such an easy way to reduce the risk further by everyone doing their part and staying 2m away. The majority are unmasked, and fair enough they don't have to wear masks outside, but they should be social distancing properly.

A few people even seem hostile to other people socially distancing (I think I mentioned on here the bloke telling me I didn't need to leave "that big a gap" when I tried to keep a 2m distance from him).

What is it like where you are? It doesn't put me off going out for a daily walk because I generally choose routes where I can move out the way if other people don't, but it does annoy me.

jobotic

Not been that bad here, apart from big groups of teenagers and a few legends. Generally people are pretty good.

timebug

Mostly pretty good,although when I was out geting food yesterday, one dickhead in the queue  stood about two feet behind me rather than two metres. But there are always a few....

BlodwynPig

Oo vudge welcome, disease hound coughy cough, welcome in Fourth Wave

SteveDave

Quote from: timebug on March 18, 2021, 09:35:26 AM
Mostly pretty good,although when I was out geting food yesterday, one dickhead in the queue  stood about two feet behind me rather than two metres. But there are always a few....

A friend has started turning around to face the people too close to him in a queue and barking "FUCK OFF!" at them. He's loving his life.

ersatz99

Mainly it's jogging couples. Jogging (sorry, running) side by side and brushing past all gasping and sweaty. Guess they feel too healthy to ever get sick.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: SteveDave on March 18, 2021, 02:16:12 PM
A friend has started turning around to face the people too close to him in a queue and barking "FUCK OFF!" at them. He's loving his life.

I lost it yesterday and loudly said "does no cunt in this town follow social distancing?" as a second person brushed past me at the market. This caused the usual English reaction of, er, fuck all.

Fambo Number Mive

Nearly shouted after a pavement cyclist who was squeezing past pedestrians (on a road with barely any cars) today, but didn't in case (a) I had asymptomatic covid and sprayed a load of droplets everywhere (b) he started a fight. Only just managed to get more than a metre out his way, the person further on only had a 30cm or so gap so let's hope the cyclist didn't have covid.

The sort of adult who cycles on the pavement, sees pedestrians in front of him and doesn't go onto the nearly empty road...utterly selfish but seems to be more and more of them.

And when I was outside the shops someone walked past within 30 cm or so of me even though there was plenty of space. What is wrong with these people?

Old Thrashbarg

I can't think of a less cunty way of saying this, but I think you really need to relax a bit more about this kind of thing. It can't be good for your health, mental or physical. Yes, everyone should be trying not to get too close to other people for a sustained period of time, but the chance of you catching Covid from someone walking past and being within 2m of you for less than a couple of seconds is basically nil. That's not to say you're wrong to be annoyed when there's plenty of space and someone chooses to not use it, but something like changing your route because walking over the bridge you'd normally use will take you within 1m of someone is taking things too far.

Fambo Number Mive

I know the risk is very very low, but people keeping a 2 metre distance outdoors seems such an easy thing to do that it annoys me that I'm being put at this additional risk even thought it is a very very low risk. I agree I probably do need to relax a bit more about outdoor transmission though.

mr. logic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 19, 2021, 10:52:54 AM
I know the risk is very very low, but people keeping a 2 metre distance outdoors seems such an easy thing to do that it annoys me that I'm being put at this additional risk even thought it is a very very low risk. I agree I probably do need to relax a bit more about outdoor transmission though.

Probably, yeah

Spiteface

I think it was a mistake during the 2nd and 3rd lockdowns to not tighten restrictions on how many people can enter supermarkets for food and other "essential" items. And I mean REALLY clamp down on it.

It just allowed more people to gather in these places, and people see other people they know, stop and talk (often in front of the very thing I went in for), and they certainly aren't 2 metres apart.

I think that has made the lockdowns less effective than they could have been. I hated queueing outside Sainsbury's or my local Co-Op last year, but there's too many people gathering in supermarkets round my way.

The Mollusk

You should try having to get on the tube for work every day. People sitting nearby to other strangers when it can be avoided, workmates wearing masks but then shaking hands or hugging, no end of cunts with a mask but just worn on their chin with mouth and nose exposed, all crammed in together on rush hour like the big cultural melting pot of fucking death that London is and always will be.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The mask over mouth but not nose thing makes me irrationally angry, very few things ever instil an urge to fucking berate someone and humiliate them in public as that.

The Mollusk

Can't believe they're both connected to the same pipe mate, fuckin shook by this news tbh

finnquark

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 20, 2021, 07:25:14 AM
The mask over mouth but not nose thing makes me irrationally angry, very few things ever instil an urge to fucking berate someone and humiliate them in public as that.

When masks were first worn, I spent almost all my time outside the classroom asking students to put their masks on properly. Given up now. No point, they just pull it back down as soon as you walk away.

Sebastian Cobb

Good job covid doesn't spread in schools!

Fambo Number Mive

I feel sorry for teachers* at the best of times, given how underpaid and overworked they are and how little respect they get from the media, parents, pupils and government, but especially at the moment. I think you are all heroes for continuing to stay in the profession. If I was PM you would all get a 12.5% pay rise.

*apart from a few of my old teachers still in the profession who were absolute wankers when I was taught by them. I go past my old school on the bus and I sometimes see some of my old teachers walking into school 20 years later. A lot weren't wankers, of course.

justin_bennett

If I'm out and about I always hold my breath when overtaking people and can't get 2 metres apart.  If there are a load of them then I breathe out slowly till I'm well past them.  Convinced myself that this will prevent any particles sneaking up the nostrils or down the throat.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: justin_bennett on March 20, 2021, 02:28:30 PM
If I'm out and about I always hold my breath when overtaking people and can't get 2 metres apart.  If there are a load of them then I breathe out slowly till I'm well past them.  Convinced myself that this will prevent any particles sneaking up the nostrils or down the throat.

Bit like the opposite to when you've been to the pub at lunchtime and need to pass a colleague on the way back in.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on March 19, 2021, 10:42:27 AM
I can't think of a less cunty way of saying this, but I think you really need to relax a bit more about this kind of thing. It can't be good for your health, mental or physical. Yes, everyone should be trying not to get too close to other people for a sustained period of time, but the chance of you catching Covid from someone walking past and being within 2m of you for less than a couple of seconds is basically nil. That's not to say you're wrong to be annoyed when there's plenty of space and someone chooses to not use it, but something like changing your route because walking over the bridge you'd normally use will take you within 1m of someone is taking things too far.

Yeah, you're not going to get it walking past some cunt in the street. Maybe if they cough directly into your face as you walk past there's a chance but otherwise, everyone needs to chill a bit.

It's the supermarkets people need to be annoyed about, almost certainly where I got it. And the workplaces that don't give a fuck.

dissolute ocelot

A few supermarkets are controlling the number of people getting in, but once you're inside none of them seem to bother, and customers might give you 20 cm if you're lucky. My local Tesco can't be bothered to manage queues at all, the queue for the self-service has nowhere near enough space, and if there's more than 6 people you're in the middle of the queue for the other checkouts or just have to bunch up (normally you would double back or form two side-by-side queues but that's impossible with social distancing). Also, although you're supposed to shop on your own if you can, rather than as a couple or larger group, the supermarkets aren't even trying to enforce that rule. And lately I've been finding empty bottles of hand-gel and broken dispensers at the entrance. It's not even primarily COVID I'm worried about, I just want to shop in peace.

Rev+

Local SAINO'S have been the worst on making adjustments, and I assume it's the same nationally.  Doubled the number of self checkouts, but crammed them all into the existing area with perspex screens between them.  Fine on paper as you're protected from the person at the checkout next to you, but what happens when you leave?  They're arranged in two banks roughly four foot apart, meaning you have to literally rub shoulders with people coming in and going out, plus the staffer who's buzzing about approving alcohol sales (which happens for at least 90% of all sales).  On top of this shitshow, you get cunts bringing fucking trolleys into a massively cramped situation and expecting everyone to work around them.

I am the only reasonable and sensible person who ever shops at Sainsbury's.

Sebastian Cobb

I nipped to the tesco for some bread and milk while my mind was elsewhere and forgot my mask for the first time and nobody said anything. Didn't even realise it wasn't on until I was paying and the cashier had one on.

Worse because I'd got it in my pocket.

Bazooka

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 08, 2021, 02:12:55 PM
I nipped to the tesco for some bread and milk while my mind was elsewhere and forgot my mask for the first time and nobody said anything. Didn't even realise it wasn't on until I was paying and the cashier had one on.

Worse because I'd got it in my pocket.

Next you'll be driving to Durham to test your eye sight.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on April 06, 2021, 04:26:08 PM
Yeah, you're not going to get it walking past some cunt in the street. Maybe if they cough directly into your face as you walk past there's a chance but otherwise, everyone needs to chill a bit.

It may not be a massive health risk, but these are the same people who would trample on you in the rush for the lifeboat. Have some fucking decency now and when it really matters THING WILL BE OK.

Chedney Honks

Just killed a bloke in a field who got within fiddy. No chance he'll rise from that grave.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 08, 2021, 06:40:57 PM
It may not be a massive health risk, but these are the same people who would trample on you in the rush for the lifeboat. Have some fucking decency now and when it really matters THING WILL BE OK.

C'mon man what does this even mean

BlodwynPig