Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:22:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kill Bill

Started by king mob, February 28, 2004, 12:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasina

Does anyone know the actual UK release date for part II?  I originally read February 22nd and had been all excited.  Now I read that it will be May or June.  

I loved the first part! Nothing to dislike in it at all.  Unfortunately my boyfriend at the time hated it, which I put down to cultural differences, leading to a big argument and contributed to an eventual split.  

He especially hated the anime sequence, which I found really moving and probably my favourite part of the film.  Where do you 'whores stand on this?

Hairy Chin

Only version I've managed to find which states it's the Japanese version is on hmv.co.jp - but there's no way I'm paying £33 for one film, they can sod the gore for that, I'm not made of money.

£25 quid - now you're talking I'd have probably stumped up that much, but no more.

EDIT:
It's actually £33 for half of a film, I know, I know. I mean, I liked it...but not THAT much - especially when I payed £30 less to see it in the cinema. Anyone know where I can get the Jap version at a price more agreeable to my meagre savings?

bill hicks

How about Bit Torrent about 5 minutes after it's released in Tokyo?

El Unicornio, mang

I wasn't that impressed with part 1. The problem Quentin Tarantino has is that he's not very good at characterisations. You really don't care what happens to his characters. I love Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, but in those cases it didn't really matter. Here it does, and it just seems like an exercise in style over substance. That said, a few decent moments.

Rats

That's the whole point of it though I think. Keeping all the depth at a distance, I think it's meant to play like a comic book.

Rats

Depth at a distance? Fucking hell, I should do the news.

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "The Unicorn"I Here it does, and it just seems like an exercise in style over substance. That said, a few decent moments.

In the case of 'Kill Bill', the style kind of is its substance.  I thought it was fantastic when I saw it at the cinema, but I don't know if I'll ever need or want to watch it again.

king mob

Quote from: "Hairy Chin"Only version I've managed to find which states it's the Japanese version is on hmv.co.jp - but there's no way I'm paying £33 for one film, they can sod the gore for that, I'm not made of money.

£25 quid - now you're talking I'd have probably stumped up that much, but no more.

EDIT:
It's actually £33 for half of a film, I know, I know. I mean, I liked it...but not THAT much - especially when I payed £30 less to see it in the cinema. Anyone know where I can get the Jap version at a price more agreeable to my meagre savings?

The Japanese version may eventually get a release here but til then the DVD of part 1 is out April to coincide with Vol 2.

Theres a whole load of sites where you can buy the Jap version, i'll dig them out when my hangover is better.

Hairy Chin

Thankyou very much kind sir! That would be cool.

Papercut

jpn Kill Bill vol 1 DVD:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/Product/Detail.asp?sku=1888767
- uses Fed Ex which will almost certainly incur import duty

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=GNBF-7040

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003201752
- probably cheapest for the jpn dvd if you buy enough to get free shipping

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DKMK0/
- awkward online shop

http://www.coquesenstock.com/05dfa/product_info.php?products_id=155
- region 3 version, approx £12 with shipping (haven't used these though)

http://www.dddhouse.com/
- a good place for region 3 releases, Kill Bill isn't listed here yet.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Am I correct in thinking that these have no special features?

Papercut

The jpn edition is supposed to have a couple of short 'making of' features, not sure about the region 3 edition.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

I thought Japan were region 3?

blue jammer

Region 2 ntsc? eh? I thought all R2's were PAL :confused:

Anyway, instead of pissing about with importing and worrying about customs tax etc, I'm just gonna wait a month or so and there will be tons of the JAP version on ebay, alternatively there's a great site for high class copies of DVD's to be found here.

If ordering from that site you MUST be able to pay via PayPal, DVD's are shipped airmail, without cases to cut down cost, and are £7/£8 each (for single DVD's)

(They haven't got Kill Bill btw)

Papercut

Quote from: "blue jammer"Region 2 ntsc? eh? I thought all R2's were PAL :confused:
Region 2 is Europe and Japan (and South Africa and the Middle East).

DVD region isn't tied to video format, but Japanese Region 2 DVDs are almost all ntsc and European Region 2 DVDs are almost all pal (there are actually a couple of ntsc releases over here, the first season of Sex and the City for one).

blue jammer

I always thought R2 was just europe, and R3 was Japan/Hong Kong!

Heh, I've been wrong all these years then:

Region Countries

0 No Region Coding
1 United States of America, Canada
2 Europe, including France, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South Africa
3 Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo and Indonesia
4 Australia and New Zealand, Mexico, the Carribean, and South America
5 India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries
6 Peoples Republic of China
7 Unused
8 Airlines/Cruise Ships

Hairy Chin

Cheers, Papercut - you're a jolly decent Verb Whore, you know that?

On coquesenstock.com, there's a great piece of 'engrish', although I'm it's a shame I didn't pull my finger out and ask for a link sooner, I'd have saved some money! Anyway:

QuoteA good new and a bad new. Fisrt the bad new : Mangpong, the official distributor for the Thailand release have change plan for Kill Bill to 16th April for a Worldwide release. Now, the good new, this title will be available in "Uncut Version" too. All the customer who made a preorder before the 29th February will received the "Uncut Version" for the price of the "Normal Version". We apologize for the disagreement occasioned, but unfortunately we don't decide the release date... and of course, if you don't need wait, just ask us and we refund your Paypal payement

king mob

Glad to see lots of links:)

This looks fun.

Click on the trailer & you'll see Takashi Miike's spoof of Kill Bill.

Bollock Chops

Get it here for £26.99:
http://www.discemporium.com/productDetails.jsp?product_id=19935
And there's no arsing about with customs.

king mob

The boxset

The "Murder Bride" Bearbrick.

The Hanzo sword set.

Does anyone know why Mark Kermode hated the film? My guess is that he objected to the film on the grounds that it's a compendium of classic moments from other movies, but that wouldn't exactly be anything new for Taratino!

It's what you do with your influences that counts, I think. And I think Tarantino almost always utilises them with flair and passion. Looking forward to seeing how the saga resolves in any case.

thomasina

Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis"Does anyone know why Mark Kermode hated the film? My guess is that he objected to the film on the grounds that it's a compendium of classic moments from other movies, but that wouldn't exactly be anything new for Taratino!

It's what you do with your influences that counts, I think. And I think Tarantino almost always utilises them with flair and passion. Looking forward to seeing how the saga resolves in any case.

If I remember rightly, Kermode disliked Pulp Fiction too.  I seem to remember him finding it heartless.

I really can't agree with the idea that Tarantino's characters are a weakness.  I think its one of his massive talents that cartoon or stock characters become believable.   Even the most minor parts are written so sharply that you can see a biography from one or two minutes on the screen.

For instance: How long does Quentin appear in PF as Jimmy?  A couple of minutes, max, right?  And in that short time, you totally get a sense of who Jimmy is.  you know, for instance, that he is utterly intimidated by his cool friend Jules, this is the first and last time that he's going to get away with talking about 'dead n**gers' in front of him and he's going to milk that moment for all its worth.  This is no tribute to Quentin's acting ability, which i'll be the first to allow isn't great.  But it wouldn't matter who played it, the character is so absolutely there in the dialogue that an idiot could play it and be perfect.  

In Jackie Brown, it would have been so easy to see Ordell as Jules II if the writing hadn't been so sharp.  But you know within minutes that Ordell, far from walking the Earth to find wisdom,  would sell his granny for $10.

jutl

I'm sure no-one's interested, but I hated Kill Bill. I'm not averse to violence, swordplay, plagiarism or anime. I just thought that particular movie was dull, empty and lazy.