Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:36:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Getting re-tested?

Started by Spiteface, March 09, 2021, 11:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

I put this as a reply in another thread, but maybe I'll have better luck starting a new thread.

I had it last month. I isolated like I should, said isolation period ended on the 27th. Still had a bit of a cough and lack of taste/smell, which I understand can hang around for some time afterwards but isn't a sign I'm infectious.

Last week I attempted to return to work, seeing as I'd finished isolating. They basically sent me home again as quickly as I showed up, and they want me to ensure I'm properly well before I go back.

I was thinking that getting another test would be best "proof" I'm okay to come back, but now I'm not so sure as I've been told I could still test positive for 90 days afterwards.

Anyone else here had to re-test? How long after did you do it?

Spiteface

This morning, after conversations with the agency and my line manager, I tried to get a second test.

Maybe I'm too honest for my own good, but I explained my situation, and the person I spoke to, told me I can't have a second test to "prove" I'm okay to return to work.

As it turns out, I need a sick note to cover the period I've been off work since my self-isolation period ended a couple of weeks ago, I'll have to see my GP for that anyway, so I'll ask for advice.

After the isolation, I should be fine, i.e. not contagious. See previous post for how that turned out.

I still have a few things that concern me a bit so I still want some guidance here because I actually do want to go back to work now.

vanilla.coffee

The company I work for won't let you in to the premises (well or not) without first testing yourself.
They give us a lateral flow 15 minute test kit and we we have to sit outside in the car and provide a negative test result before being allowed in.
If we want to enter the office for business critical reasons then we have to be tested twice a week.

I've not had a need to go in yet so continue to work from home.

George Oscar Bluth II

My work does lateral flow tests and I've been told not to do them until three months after I had it first time cos I might still test positive

Spiteface

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on March 17, 2021, 10:06:24 AM
My work does lateral flow tests and I've been told not to do them until three months after I had it first time cos I might still test positive

This is also something I've become aware of. Some confusion whether it's 28 or 90 days, but the idea I could still test positive long afterwards even though I wouldn't be passing it on to anyone.

Will be hearing back from the GP this afternoon on the phone when I can go over there to get my sick note.

George Oscar Bluth II

But I think most sources are pretty sure the infectious stage, at the absolute worst, doesn't last much beyond the 14 days.

Spiteface

So it was my work bosses being arsey, then.

I understand them erring on the side of caution, but it's been frustrating for me, these last few weeks.

Zetetic

And I wouldn't trust a negative test, certainly from an LFD, as particularly meaningful.

vanilla.coffee

Quote from: Zetetic on March 17, 2021, 11:11:21 AM
And I wouldn't trust a negative test, certainly from an LFD, as particularly meaningful.

Maybe so. But that's the procedure my company has in place. That's what we have to do.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: vanilla.coffee on March 17, 2021, 05:24:11 PM
Maybe so. But that's the procedure my company has in place. That's what we have to do.

Are they the NIHP?

Spiteface

An update.

GP got back to me this afternoon. Explained everything again, she also told me that getting another test would be pointless, and the cough and bit of a sore throat I have now are typical and everything else I've been told means I should be okay to go back to work, so I got a sick note covering the past few weeks until this coming Monday, when I plan to go to work again.

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiteface on March 17, 2021, 05:54:25 PM
An update.

GP got back to me this afternoon. Explained everything again, she also told me that getting another test would be pointless, and the cough and bit of a sore throat I have now are typical and everything else I've been told means I should be okay to go back to work, so I got a sick note covering the past few weeks until this coming Monday, when I plan to go to work again.

And just like that, it's been decided I can't go back to work if I even have only a bit of a cough. One of the bosses is insisting I stay off sick until I'm 100%

Annoying as fuck because as far as actual doctors go, I'm about as fine as I can be.