Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Interesting fact regarding Waluigi's etymology

Started by Misspent Boners, March 09, 2021, 11:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've never failed to be mildly amused by the name Waluigi, in all its magnificent lameness...I assumed that after coming up with the character Wario, they just applied the same prefix to Waluigi, with uncomfortable and hilariously contrived and lazy results. "Waluigi" haha. As a character he's just utterly charmless and unappealing as well isn't he; not even in a suitably villainous way, just in a mundane "slightly creepy Slovakian service station worker" kind of way...

However i've recently gleaned that there's more to the name than meets the ear...apparently 'warui' means 'bad' in Japanese as in morally bad...so it's actually a pretty neat play on words...an English equivalent of this perhaps would be an antagonist called "Badam"...or "Stevil" (Steve-il)

Bit of a stretch but Ji means character, so if this was also applied his name would mean "bad character" I reckon. Its a very effective pun, specially as the decision to call Wario Wario was probably a bit more frivolous, just a variation on Mario. So to then come up with something so fitting was a joyous discovery for me

Consignia

Quote from: Misspent Boners on March 09, 2021, 11:54:08 AM
Bit of a stretch but Ji means character, so if this was also applied his name would mean "bad character" I reckon.

It is a bit of a stretch yeah, "Ji" or 字 is a typographic character rather than a character as personality.

Wario is a great pun that works in both English (upside down "m" implying a wrong=un) and Japanese.

Waluigi is just thrown together just badly fit in. Which arguably suits his personality down to the ground.

Quote from: Misspent Boners on March 09, 2021, 11:54:08 AMspecially as the decision to call Wario Wario was probably a bit more frivolous, just a variation on Mario.

Yeah, like the inverted cross, innit? The M is upside down so it's sort of like mario's evil doppleganger. Maybe they were made in the black lodge!

Very interesting! I used to knock around with someone who looked like waluigi and he had the same sort of voice. This was before waluigi was a thing though.

My nephew used to like playing as waluigi when we were playing that mario football game on the wii. He does this celebration thing where he probably slaps his crotch, bit much for a kids game, I thought.

popcorn

Quote from: Misspent Boners on March 09, 2021, 11:54:08 AM
However i've recently gleaned that there's more to the name than meets the ear...apparently 'warui' means 'bad' in Japanese as in morally bad...so it's actually a pretty neat play on words...

Works even better when you remember that in Japanese "Warui" and "Walui" are pronounced and spelled exactly the same way (hence the ol' R-to-L Japan mixup).

Quote from: Consignia on March 09, 2021, 12:15:54 PM
Wario is a great pun that works in both English (upside down "m" implying a wrong=un) and Japanese.

Waluigi is just thrown together just badly fit in. Which arguably suits his personality down to the ground.

Nah in Japanese Waluigi is an even better pun than Wario. But it's a much shitter name in English than Wario.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Breaks my heart Nintendo barely acknowledging their adopted son.

Bazooka

I like playing as toad best. Toadette is cute but they got the voice wrong. If it was toady's gravelly voice but just a bit higher pitched, it would have been fine.

FredNurke

Best thing about Toadette is the fact that she has Toad's testicles hanging off her hat.

Jerzy Bondov

I've always loved this twat. Thrown together so Wario could have a doubles partner in tennis, but he came into his own with Mario Kart Double Dash. WALUIGI NUMBER ONE, he bellowed, and so won my heart and my loyalty all the way up to Mario Kart 8 where I started playing as Rosalina because she's fit. God bless you Waluigi.

Ferris

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 09, 2021, 01:44:18 PM
I've always loved this twat. Thrown together so Wario could have a doubles partner in tennis, but he came into his own with Mario Kart Double Dash. WALUIGI NUMBER ONE, he bellowed, and so won my heart and my loyalty all the way up to Mario Kart 8 where I started playing as Rosalina because she's fit. God bless you Waluigi.

Yeah Waluigi is the best.

Quote from: FredNurke on March 09, 2021, 01:08:46 PM
Best thing about Toadette is the fact that she has Toad's testicles hanging off her hat.

When I play Mario Kart on the Switch with my nieces my staple character is Shy Guy. I kept exclaiming his name in a certain way "sha gahhh" until my sister told me to stop because it sounded like I was shouting "shagger!"

Quote from: popcorn on March 09, 2021, 12:24:37 PM
Works even better when you remember that in Japanese "Warui" and "Walui" are pronounced and spelled exactly the same way (hence the ol' R-to-L Japan mixup).

Nah in Japanese Waluigi is an even better pun than Wario. But it's a much shitter name in English than Wario.

Yeah thats what I assumed; I think its great that his name is simultaneously clever in one language and magnificently lame in another.

Mango Chimes

He's waiting for an RPG exploring whether he's a brother to Wario or a bad version of Luigi.

stonkers

Quote from: popcorn on March 09, 2021, 12:24:37 PM

Wario actually has a bit of added punning in English because Americans tend to pronounce the "a" sound in Mario / Wario more like "aw" than "ah". So he's WAR-io.