Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:12:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you still like record shopping?

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 09, 2021, 01:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

mainly stick to bargain bins, singles or second hand, dont even bother looking at reissues of shit, I know psych rock dads buy anything now and they've got all the dispensable money these days but repressed fucking 12" singles costing what albums should - eat my shit, what's that mate, Pacific Ocean Blue from about ten years ago that there's millions of about? 26 quid cheers

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's great aye, you wander round going 'fucking hell haha glad i don't own that one' hours of fun

Quote from: NoSleep on March 11, 2021, 08:25:58 AM
Won't be buying anymore vinyl. It's bad for the environment and is toxic to you and your family every time you pull a record out to play it (you shouldn't be breathing the air in the room while you do this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2czFuIYmQ

Interesting video, I used to release records in the 90's but had a P&D deal with a distributor so never saw them but it occurred to me a couple years ago when I saw 15k records on 6 pallets that I was responsible for producing enough vinyl to fill a small dining room floor to ceiling, shocking really.

Ferris

Quote from: purlieu on March 09, 2021, 07:23:35 PM
This, especially with reissues, and also a lot of younger people are spending the same amount of money on music as they used to, but instead of it being £50-100 a month on CDs, they're getting a Spotify subscription and two LPs from their favourite artists with it. It's an odd one.

I do this - sometimes it is nice to turn my screens off, and browse records and spend an evening in the front room and read a comic book or something. When I do that, I love having my records because I've spent the last few years (since this was the new way of things) building a tightly curated library of music I love. Ooh some old Leonard Cohen, not heard that one for yonks!

Record collecting is more about forcing you to reengage with your old favourites, and I've been collecting long enough (just about old enough and weird pre-teenager enough to have bought a shed load of records when they were 10p a go) that there's still boxes of eclectic stuff hiding away so I feel I have a decent selection.

I'd never try to discover something new by buying an LP (with a few honourable mentions), and day to day I use Spotify.

purlieu

Yeah, I've reached the stage where I don't feel the need to own everything that's ever mildly interested me. My collection now is still too big to really take in as a whole, but pretty much everything is an 8/10 or higher. I still try do most of my listening from my physical collection, but I definitely use the internet to check new stuff out, and my computer to keep odd songs and curios. If I still bought albums in the way I did in the '00s I'd be able to make a house out of CDs and LPs by now.

thugler

Quote from: purlieu on March 10, 2021, 09:24:16 PM
Probably price limits set by distributors buying in bulk.The HMV Vault in Brum is worth a visit, their range is ludicrous. I never thought I'd stumble across a Fire-Toolz album in real life, let alone an HMV.

How did I not know this existed. I'll have to check that out

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on March 11, 2021, 08:25:58 AM
Won't be buying anymore vinyl. It's bad for the environment and is toxic to you and your family every time you pull a record out to play it (you shouldn't be breathing the air in the room while you do this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2czFuIYmQ

Ha, The Flashbulb. I'm sat in a faded Flashbulb tee that got released with Soundtrack to a Vacant Life right now.

Dr Syntax Head

Before the closedown record shopping was the very first thing I did on a payday. Before going through the bins round the back of Tesco for food cos I spent all my wages