Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:51:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best way to replace a HD on laptop?

Started by Malcy, March 09, 2021, 07:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

I have a HD that I want to put in my laptop to replace the one that's in it. It has Windows 10 already installed on it as it was my brothers so his Windows profile is still on it.

Can I just put it in and change add my own account and delete his or is it going to be way more of a pain in the arse than that? My first thought was to just format the drive and put a fresh install of W10 on it but I looked at the Microsoft website and it only had an option of buying the bloody thing at £110! I thought it was free.

I had a look around on Google but there's never a straight answer and always numerous methods and recommendations so thought I'd just ask here as it usually gives better results.

Just looking for the simplest and easiest way of doing this and any tips that anyone might have from own experiences.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Malcy

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on March 09, 2021, 09:25:49 PM
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstalling-win-10-on-new-hard-disk-drive/6130e6a2-59cd-4448-8f86-774cb312e1b9?auth=1

Follow this guide and then put in your new HDD (hopefully an SSD!) and no repurchase needed.

Thanks for that. It was going to be an SSD until I had to fork out for a massive vet bill so  unfortunately not.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Malcy on March 09, 2021, 09:48:27 PM
Thanks for that. It was going to be an SSD until I had to fork out for a massive vet bill so  unfortunately not.

Think I've got a spare one knocking about if you want it? Samsung Evo 500GB (I think).