Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:38:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Circle (Celebrity Edition)

Started by Ja'moke, March 09, 2021, 09:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Big fan of The Circle but not sure it needed a celebrity version. But it's happening and airing right now on Channel 4, in aid of Stand Up To Cancer.

Six episodes. The regular civilian version starts next Tuesday.

BritishHobo

I wasn't sure either, but I think the set-up makes for some nice novelties. The fact that most of the celebrities have met each other - or met the celebrity whose image is being used - means they're able to try and puzzle it out in a different way, and it's very fun. Duncan James and Denise Van Outen being close enough to know each other are real is very lovely. Conversely it's a lot of fun watching the TOWIE/Made in Chelsea pair and the radio DJ lads having to improvise lies to people who actually know the celebrities they're impersonating.

As a long time Celebs Go Dating fan, I expected Pete and Sam to be entertaining. I quite like how seriously everyone is playing the game.

Ja'moke

I'm also surprised how quickly these celebs have taken to the game. Also, the fact that some of them know each other in real life adds an interesting layer to the catfishing.

BritishHobo

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 10, 2021, 10:34:16 PM
As a long time Celebs Go Dating fan, I expected Pete and Sam to be entertaining. I quite like how seriously everyone is playing the game.

I hadn't heard of them before but I've really warmed to them. Great little dynamic.

My favourite aspect of this is something that came through a lot in the US version, which is having two catfishes worrying about each other. Trying to figure out how to lie to Gemma Collins about being Big Narstie, because she knows him - even though she's not real either. A lot of fake emotional stakes, which is really fun.

Just hope this Triangle thing isn't as complicated as it sounds. Can't be arsed when they mess with the format.

JesusAndYourBush

I didn't see the first 2 episodes but I'd seen the trailer showing you that someone was catfishing as Peter Andre.  I tuned in for episode 3 and saw that "Peter Andre" was coming into it on this episode so I'd not missed that part... then I discovered they were all catfishes apart from two people, which is quite amusing.

BritishHobo

Continue to hate the cliffhanger bullshit in this show. We've all watched five episodes - you really don't have to manipulate us into coming back for episode six. We already were. The proposition of watching the meetings unfold is enough of a cliffhanger.

It's funny to see people still acting like the game is to vote out the catfishes, as Denise did. The Rachel Rily pair were smart to say that it didn't matter if Kim is a catfish - but they're doing the same thing with Big Narstie and Will.I.Am. The smart play wouldn't be to lose those two, because they're both obvious catfishes and unpopular amongst the group. Go for the bigger-hitters like Kim, Saffron or Pete. That's my inexpert view, at least. Doubtless if I was on the show I'd totally fuck it up and be first blocked.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 14, 2021, 10:14:09 PM
Continue to hate the cliffhanger bullshit in this show. We've all watched five episodes - you really don't have to manipulate us into coming back for episode six.

Especially as episode 6 is going to have plenty of reveals of it's own, so it really doesn't need last nights reveals as well.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 14, 2021, 10:14:09 PM

It's funny to see people still acting like the game is to vote out the catfishes, as Denise did. The Rachel Rily pair were smart to say that it didn't matter if Kim is a catfish - but they're doing the same thing with Big Narstie and Will.I.Am.

I don't think those two are going after Big Narstie and Will.I.Am because they're catfishes, though, they're targeting them because their strategy is "the four girls at the end." Although I'm not sure that is the smartest idea either, especially as Denise seemed to be put off when they kept shoehorning in the "girl power" stuff.

BritishHobo

True. I suppose it's an inevitability of only doing it for a week - it's not long enough for any real alliances or rivalries or friendships to form, so voting is a bit more scattershot. It's been a really fun twist on the format though, I've really enjoyed it. I'm assuming there'll be the usual 'final four' dinner party tonight, and I can't wait.

Ja'moke

I feel like Big Narstie (Lady Leshurr) is going to end up winning because they're all doing the final ratings tactically, so I think Narstie is going to get a lot of high ratings.

It was a nice little lead up to the main event. Hoping the main show doesn't let us down.

I wonder for next year's celeb version if they could have a celebrity playing a catfish, but then another catfish joining the show as them. It would be fun seeing a catfish having to play along with a fake version of themselves.

Ja'moke

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 16, 2021, 08:20:35 AM
It was a nice little lead up to the main event. Hoping the main show doesn't let us down.

I wonder for next year's celeb version if they could have a celebrity playing a catfish, but then another catfish joining the show as them. It would be fun seeing a catfish having to play along with a fake version of themselves.

They've just done this twist in the regular version! Very interesting.

BritishHobo

Realised I didn't post after the finale of this - thought it was lovely seeing the support for Lady Leshurr at the end, really sweet. I liked her a lot.

It was very funny to see how their tactical voting completely flipped the game and ensured nobody popular could win. Usually the winner is someone non-threatening who everyone likes, whereas here everyone seemed fed up of Big Narstie, but walked him to success by deliberately voting down the people they actually wanted to win.