Author Topic: More info about GB News shows.  (Read 59782 times)

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
Re: More info about GB News shows.
« Reply #900 on: August 09, 2021, 06:48:47 PM »
Neil's claiming he lost his job at the bbc here:
https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1424761197019209729

Although in August 2020 he claimed he wasn't a bbc employee
https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1293329492086226946

A month later he announced he was leaving to set up GB News.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-54299057

mad revisionist cunt

« Reply #901 on: August 11, 2021, 11:04:31 AM »
Might not be one step closer to world peace, but surely getting Sainsburys to stop advertising on GB News is a good achievement?

Except… they didn’t. All Sainsbury’s have said is that they don’t have any more adverts scheduled with GB News because their current campaign has ended: https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/1423686605341134850

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #902 on: August 11, 2021, 12:27:58 PM »
From what I saw some firms didn't even know they were even being advertised on GBN because of all the middlemen/brokers in advertising.

George Oscar Bluth II

« Reply #903 on: August 11, 2021, 03:23:19 PM »
The Tristrams at Led By Donkeys have done another spiffing campaign to stop Sainsburys advertising during Farage's show. Great work folks! One step closer to world peace AND I can get some Brunswick ham off their deli counter again today! That's the power of grassroots funding towards putting up lots of billboards run by people who clearly have connections in the putting up billboards industry!

Not only putting up billboards, but putting up billboards of rightwing people saying rightwing things that people who like rightwing things will think is good. Genius!

From what I saw some firms didn't even know they were even being advertised on GBN because of all the middlemen/brokers in advertising.

Yeah companies will just buy a load of ad time on Discovery's channels, so they could be getting a slot on Eurosport or they could be getting one during Nigel's Grief Hour

« Reply #904 on: August 11, 2021, 04:00:55 PM »
oh yeah I didn't reply to that. Well, all I think about Led By Donkeys, they raise all this money and use it... for what? Billboards? That are always like a tweet for some reason? And what did these billboards achieve? Absolutely nothing. Because they presented no positive alternative. Just "politicians eh, what are they like?". They weren't putting the money towards anything useful, just basically having a big tantrum.

Farage is a cunt, but he's not really dangerous anymore. He was before the referendum, the BBC shouldn't have had him on like every fucking week. But now it all seems like a bit barn door after the horse has gone outside and shit everywhere.

Look at them, the fucking smug arseholes. And their shitty little Camden pint mugs.

George Oscar Bluth II

« Reply #905 on: August 11, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »
Fucking hate those pint glasses, just awful.

« Reply #906 on: August 11, 2021, 04:24:26 PM »
I did the digital marketing for an energy company a few years back and we had people posting on our social media complaining that we were advertising on Breitbart etc.  Turns out we were, but we'd just signed up for the "general" google ad package, which included right-wing sites. You could manually remove them from the dashboard wherever needed.

I'd expect a massive company like Sainsbo's would be a bit more aware, but maybe not. At least they won't be doing it again, whatever the reason.

« Reply #907 on: August 11, 2021, 04:25:39 PM »
Farage is a cunt, but he's not really dangerous anymore. He was before the referendum, the BBC shouldn't have had him on like every fucking week. But now it all seems like a bit barn door after the horse has gone outside and shit everywhere.

Look at them, the fucking smug arseholes. And their shitty little Camden pint mugs.

Of course he's still dangerous. The amount of people I see parroting his shitty views about the migrant crossings, he's been one of the loudest voices bringing it to people's attention. He's certainly far more vile and concerning than some mildly irritating people who have stupid pint glasses and moustaches.

king_tubby

• I'm on smoko, so leave me alone
« Reply #908 on: August 11, 2021, 04:31:37 PM »
Good article on Led by Donkeys by Dawn Foster, which I think I linked to last time we were on about them.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/19/led-by-donkeys-billboards-nigel-farage-ann-widdecombe

Utterdrivel

• Onions
« Reply #909 on: August 11, 2021, 05:19:31 PM »
Fucking hate those pint glasses, just awful.

Never seen them before, squat little things aren't they. And the glasses.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #910 on: August 11, 2021, 07:28:52 PM »
oh yeah I didn't reply to that. Well, all I think about Led By Donkeys, they raise all this money and use it... for what? Billboards? That are always like a tweet for some reason? And what did these billboards achieve? Absolutely nothing. Because they presented no positive alternative. Just "politicians eh, what are they like?". They weren't putting the money towards anything useful, just basically having a big tantrum.

It's not constructive and they probably are wankers but it's preferable to having advertisers rubbing shit in my face and seems to annoy the right people.

I guess if they had any balls they'd be borrow techniques from Advertising Shits in Your Head or other people engaging in 'brandalism', but I suppose if you start doing that while sending for politicians you might find yourself in trouble quicker and I guess the fact that they're not technically doing anything wrong might wind the gov't up a bit.

« Reply #911 on: August 11, 2021, 07:46:14 PM »
Pretty sure they don't get to choose which pint glasses they get in a pub

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #912 on: August 11, 2021, 11:24:26 PM »
Interesting spread of opinions here about the LBDs. I’m curious where the more negative ones are stemming from? I was never under any illusions as to the efficacy of what they were doing, chances are they changed very few minds at all, or perhaps any. And the revelation that they all turned out to be slightly posh millennial hipsters doesn’t feel that earth-shattering to me. At the end of the day, it’s activism that aligns with some of the things I believe in. Sure they could be doing “better” (more productive, more helpful) things with their time… but then couldn’t we all?  … and the money they raised? Well, on that point, as far as we can tell they spent the money on doing/it to do the things people gave it to them to do.

« Reply #913 on: August 12, 2021, 01:13:04 AM »
I just think it's part of that smug mindset of "oh look at the bad people in charge" while maintaining "oh better things aren't possible, you silly billy" that annoys me so much. Brexit probably would've happened without Nigel Farage, even if he did play a part in tipping it via the BBC. Still not convinced he's dangerous now. Considering how after Brexit Day last year he declared his personal war on China, he was pretty weak on Vince Cable doing a pathetic little jerk-off for the state.

The biggest problem in this country is the grip of the print media, which should be fucking dead, but is kept going for purely propagandistic purposes. Imagine if someone did a celeb poster campaign against them in late 2019. Oh but look at this from Dominic Raab! He didn't tweet it, he actually said it! oh why the fuck does anyone care.

ugh i dont know. they achieved nothing but I dont think GB News will either. but I emphasise: i am just a cunt on the internet. i used to think better things were possible but now i wish i was dead.

« Reply #914 on: August 12, 2021, 07:52:09 AM »
According to the Telegraph Andrew Neil, chairman of GB News, has fallen out with Angelos Frangopoulos, the CEO who came from Sky News Australia, which leans more towards Fox News in style. (Sky in Australia is still owned by Murdoch.) Frangopoulos is reported to want to push the outrage thing more, which worked for him in Australia, recruiting Farage against Neil's wishes and now bringing in presenters from Murdoch's Talk Radio who better fit that style. Don't see Simon McCoy lasting there much longer.

« Reply #915 on: August 12, 2021, 08:35:29 AM »
I just think it's part of that smug mindset of "oh look at the bad people in charge" while maintaining "oh better things aren't possible, you silly billy" that annoys me so much.

Where do they extol the latter sentiment? It seems a bit like projection, no pun intended

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • They call me mista bald bastard
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #916 on: August 12, 2021, 08:48:09 AM »
They are going to get more shrill until they get noticed.

SpiderChrist

• Be still, Taggart
« Reply #917 on: August 12, 2021, 08:59:40 AM »
. i used to think better things were possible but now i wish i was dead.

I'm not alone. Thank fuck for that.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #918 on: August 12, 2021, 09:37:50 AM »
Interesting spread of opinions here about the LBDs. I’m curious where the more negative ones are stemming from? I was never under any illusions as to the efficacy of what they were doing, chances are they changed very few minds at all, or perhaps any. And the revelation that they all turned out to be slightly posh millennial hipsters doesn’t feel that earth-shattering to me. At the end of the day, it’s activism that aligns with some of the things I believe in. Sure they could be doing “better” (more productive, more helpful) things with their time… but then couldn’t we all?  … and the money they raised? Well, on that point, as far as we can tell they spent the money on doing/it to do the things people gave it to them to do.

I think that's the thing, with this and similar things there's often a very serious, po-faced complaint that it isn't visibly doing anything useful, but I'm not sure that's the entire point of acts of minor dissent.

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
« Reply #919 on: August 12, 2021, 06:07:31 PM »
It doesn't seem to be sure whether Neil will return to GB News.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #920 on: August 12, 2021, 06:36:31 PM »
It doesn't seem to be sure whether Neil will return to GB News.

It seems more unlikely with every week that passes doesn't it?

« Reply #921 on: August 12, 2021, 09:47:54 PM »

« Reply #922 on: August 12, 2021, 09:55:49 PM »
fallen out with the chief exec it seems

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2021/08/gb-news-and-maybe-no-brillo.html?m=0

Yeah, as steveh posted, The Daily Telegraph reported this yesterday and following that, multiple outlets are saying the same thing.

An tSaoi

• The Prodigal Cunt
« Reply #923 on: August 13, 2021, 01:49:31 AM »
Accidentally saw a bit of this last night (it's right above BBC One on my telly). The technical incompetence continues unabated. They had an interview with some guy, and the introductory caption cut his name off. Something like:

COMING UP AT 10
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH DR. JOHN SMI

Sherringford Hovis

• 報復性熬夜
« Reply #924 on: August 13, 2021, 02:10:08 AM »
Not likely to ever watch this shite, but I'm sure my wife raised an eyebrow when my gaze lingered a little too long on Gloria ex-Labour MP's Southerly chesticles on the cover of Private Eye.

My dick is a gammon, clearly.

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
« Reply #925 on: August 13, 2021, 01:02:20 PM »
Does GB News stand for Government Bootlicker News?

@GBNEWS
Some Great British news this morning! The UK economy grew by 4.8% in the second quarter of 2021, the Office for National Statistics has said, as lockdown restrictions were eased.

Ignoring that it was 0.2% below forecast.

« Reply #926 on: August 13, 2021, 01:33:51 PM »
Does GB News stand for Government Bootlicker News?

Ignoring that it was 0.2% below forecast.

The 5% forecast was the Bank of England's - not all economists had it at that; I think The Guardian's reporting suggest others had it at 4.8% and other outlets were saying 4.8% match economists' expectations (such as a Reuters poll of economists. In any case, a forecast is just a forecast.

The GDP growth in in June was faster than expected, incidentally.

« Reply #927 on: August 14, 2021, 11:52:37 AM »
I'm not alone. Thank fuck for that.

Those who have crossed with direct eyes
To the GB news kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Faraged arseholes but as
The hollow men
The stuffed men

George Oscar Bluth II

« Reply #928 on: August 14, 2021, 12:07:52 PM »
Not likely to ever watch this shite, but I'm sure my wife raised an eyebrow when my gaze lingered a little too long on Gloria ex-Labour MP's Southerly chesticles on the cover of Private Eye.

My dick is a gammon, clearly.

She's the token lefty[1] so you're fine.

I just don't see how their tactic of plastering rightwing people saying rightwing things on billboards is good for anything other than rightwing politics.

If some rightwing idiots were putting up billboards of Diane Abbott saying "I believe in the NHS, we should fund it" we'd all see it was dim shit by idiots who expect us to disagree with people's sincere opinions with no context.

On the other hand these guys were involved in the Covid memorial wall by the river opposite Parliament which I really recommend if you happen to be in the area. Genuinely sobering and very moving.
 1. Comparatively

« Reply #929 on: August 14, 2021, 12:21:28 PM »
There's a lot of satire like LBD which appeals to the faithful and encourages them, but most is in private for self selecting audiences: books, clubs/theatres, BBC2. Putting it in public is very different and some people must see a Boris quote and nod. But are the nodding Tories more numerous than tutting europhiles?

Tags: