Author Topic: More info about GB News shows.  (Read 59796 times)

Cuellar

• I'm over here
Re: More info about GB News shows.
« Reply #930 on: August 14, 2021, 10:29:24 PM »
But are the nodding Tories more numerous than tutting europhiles?

Evidently

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
« Reply #931 on: August 23, 2021, 11:15:29 AM »
Tory MPs trying to make sure their mouthpiece stays viable. Daily Mail reports:

The hard-Left campaign group that launched an advertising boycott against GB News is being accused of breaking company laws by participating in 'political activity'.

Ten Conservative MPs are calling for an investigation into Stop Funding Hate, claiming the group advocates 'cancel culture' by discouraging businesses from advertising with the broadcaster and other media organisations. 

Stop Funding Hate is a Community Interest Company (CIC), a firm which is intended to 'benefit the community' with a structure that makes it easier to attract charitable donations, The Telegraph reports. ...

A Stop Funding Hate spokesman told MailOnline: 'In a free society, we all have the right to encourage brands to advertise ethically and avoid funding toxic media. To deny this would be to undermine basic free market principles.'

In June this year the campaign group hit the headlines after the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust awarded a £50,000 two-year grant to the online activists. 

Tory MP and former Minister Robert Goodwill had said it was a 'blatant example of the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust funding organisations that quite clearly have a very political agenda, and actually quite a nasty political agenda.'

Craig Mackinlay, another Tory MP, called on the Charity Commission to investigate the funding.

In a letter to Helen Stephenson, the regulator's chief executive, he said: 'The activities of Stop Funding Hate are demonstrably party political and hugely divisive.'...

I mean Stop Funding Hate is clearly not party political, if it was calling for boycotts of companies that support the Tories you could call that party politicial.

And opposing GB News is now "hard-Left"? According to Henry Martin of the Mail Online it is.

It would be interesting to look at other alleged breaches of CICs and see how much concern Tory MPs have raised about them.

Meanwhile, Romesh has written a good article on GB News: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/aug/13/gb-news-challenging-consensus

...The point about challenging the consensus is slightly contradictory in the case of GB News. The channel sits on the right politically, which is also where our country sits – based on election results in the recent past and most likely in the medium-term future, and so isn’t GB News in fact the consensus? Aren’t the left-leaning journos and comedians that GB News is kicking against challenging the consensus so much that people are shouting out for more voices on TV that reinforce it? I think the point I am trying to make here is that if you discuss the consensus for long enough, the word consensus ceases to have any meaning at all.

Perhaps, if you believe that news is generally biased, then you feel that you have to take a strong counterpoint in order to counteract that, in a similar way that if you want to counteract discrimination you have to push hard the other way in favour of diversity. Perhaps the only reason I find GB News to be distasteful is because I don’t agree with it: and presumably that’s the way its viewers feel about almost every other channel on TV...

Michael Fabricant, in his latest tweets promoting GB News, has reminded us that the channel has now been on air for 10 weeks now. 

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
« Reply #932 on: September 04, 2021, 12:08:36 PM »
Apparently Christopher Biggins has been on Farage's GB show defending Brexit. Next we'll see the Tweenies calling for more protection for statues.

According to the Guardian Neil is not coming back to GB News next week as was planned, they don't know when or if he will be back.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #933 on: September 04, 2021, 12:41:09 PM »
I preferred Biggins when he was whiteying in the back of a van with Pat Butcher.

« Reply #934 on: September 04, 2021, 01:41:59 PM »
And opposing GB News is now "hard-Left"? According to Henry Martin of the Mail Online it is.

This is it now, everyone who isn't actually in the current Cabinet or writing leaders in tabloids is a hard-left woke extremist who hates are brave boys, Christmas and toby jugs, probably.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #935 on: September 04, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »
Guardian reporting Neil's not coming back: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/sep/03/andrew-neil-will-not-make-expected-return-to-gb-news-next-week

Also hiring Isabel Oakeshott apparently.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #936 on: September 04, 2021, 02:30:00 PM »
Guardian reporting Neil's not coming back: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/sep/03/andrew-neil-will-not-make-expected-return-to-gb-news-next-week

Also hiring Isabel Oakeshott apparently.

There’s always another hateful money-grubber waiting in the wings.

Though this thread is still going weeks at a time without updates so I’m guessing it is having zero cultural impact.

« Reply #937 on: September 04, 2021, 04:04:25 PM »
Zero cultural impact, apart from the Labour party deciding its paltry viewers are amongst their target voters.

So, zero cultural impact, then.

« Reply #938 on: September 04, 2021, 04:28:44 PM »
Youtube keeps promoting GB News videos to me.

I don't know why I'm careful to avoid this sort of thing on youtube because I don't want this shit recommended to me.

I don't watch political videos of any type on youtube actually.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #939 on: September 04, 2021, 04:30:12 PM »
Youtube keeps promoting GB News videos to me.

I don't know why I'm careful to avoid this sort of thing on youtube because I don't want this shit recommended to me.

I don't watch political videos of any type on youtube actually.

I get no political stuff but feel like the algorithm is actively trying to groom me into becoming the next Techmoan.

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
« Reply #940 on: September 04, 2021, 05:46:05 PM »
There’s always another hateful money-grubber waiting in the wings.

Though this thread is still going weeks at a time without updates so I’m guessing it is having zero cultural impact.

I think GB News are mainly doing the government's bidding, distracting people from the real issues with their culture war nonsense and reducing support for dealing with COVID.  They might as well call the channel Grotty Boris News, to me it seems to be doing the same Fox News did for Trump. I think it's shoring up support for Johnson among his base so in those ways it is having a big cultural impact.

« Reply #941 on: September 13, 2021, 05:57:01 PM »
NEIL GONE

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58464664

Slightly pointed bit in his announcement:

"I wish GB News well in continuing to fulfil its founding promise and mission to reach audiences currently underserved by existing news broadcasters."

(emphasis mine)

By the way, had to unearth this thread from halfway down page 2, telling in itself.

« Reply #942 on: September 13, 2021, 06:03:43 PM »
Also three senior producers have resigned over the direction and likely Simon McCoy will go too, while Ann Widdicombe and Martin Daubney are said to be joining, tho Piers Morgan turned them down.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1437429292217077765

« Reply #943 on: September 13, 2021, 06:29:29 PM »
Also three senior producers have resigned over the direction and likely Simon McCoy will go too, while Ann Widdicombe and Martin Daubney are said to be joining, tho Piers Morgan turned them down.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1437429292217077765

"Only today, political commentator Tom Harwood launched his new show, The Briefing, with a chyron spelling his name as Tom Hardwood"
(Times tweet)

The Times is probably still annoyed they didn't get to launch their own right-wing TV network, but still funny watching them attack GB News.

« Reply #944 on: September 13, 2021, 08:57:19 PM »
What intrigued me was their use of the word "chyron" for "caption", I didn't realise it had become a word in general usage.  Apparently it is now in the dictionary though (unlike "Aston"), albeit highlighted as a trademark.

So in theory the Times tweeter should get a lawyer's letter insisting they spell it with a capital C at least.

Uncle TechTip

• You won, get over it
« Reply #945 on: September 13, 2021, 08:58:27 PM »
I wonder, did Simon McCoy take the BBC redundancy before this job as so many journalists seem to be doing at the moment, I wonder if he's kicking himself.

Rev+

• Like it is, like it sounds
« Reply #946 on: September 13, 2021, 09:26:04 PM »
What intrigued me was their use of the word "chyron" for "caption", I didn't realise it had become a word in general usage.

Dripped through from the US and criticism of TV news a few years back, seemingly overnight.  Everyone was calling captions chyrons all of a sudden.  I only picked up on it because it's a really annoying word to hear spoken in sentence after sentence.

« Reply #947 on: September 13, 2021, 09:30:15 PM »
Well it sounds like an alien race. What's wrong with caption? Why do they have to keep mucking about etc.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #948 on: September 13, 2021, 09:34:29 PM »
Chyron is not in my Chambers dictionary so they can fuck right off.

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #949 on: September 13, 2021, 09:48:35 PM »

Beagle 2

• Silver Member
« Reply #950 on: September 13, 2021, 10:47:59 PM »
It's amazing they thought any sort of new TV channel was a good idea. "Hey, you know what are hot right now? Channels!"

...it has enjoyed some success on social media, with one recent monologue attacking the US president, Joe Biden, attracting 10m views on TikTok.

Churn that shit out for 50p a whack then. All that money spunked to be not as successful as Jonathan Pie.

seepage

• Undetectable in normal everyday use
« Reply #951 on: September 14, 2021, 09:30:14 AM »
What intrigued me was their use of the word "chyron" for "caption", I didn't realise it had become a word in general usage.  Apparently it is now in the dictionary though (unlike "Aston"), albeit highlighted as a trademark.

So in theory the Times tweeter should get a lawyer's letter insisting they spell it with a capital C at least.

It's lower case in Google's dictionary: Chyron --> chyron

Blue Jam

• (I may have you on ignore)
« Reply #952 on: September 14, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »
It's amazing they thought any sort of new TV channel was a good idea. "Hey, you know what are hot right now? Channels!"

That line actually could have come from an episode of Succession.

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
« Reply #953 on: September 14, 2021, 01:29:12 PM »

Churn that shit out for 50p a whack then. All that money spunked to be not as successful as Jonathan Pie.

I'm presuming a lot of.the success from their Biden monologue was in the US. They should
all sod off to America and join Fox News. Would.feel sorry for the Americans though.

chveik

• crazy bit of business
« Reply #954 on: September 14, 2021, 01:43:23 PM »
not long before they run out of money i assume

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #955 on: September 16, 2021, 08:23:00 PM »
Would you buy a used channel from this man?

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #956 on: September 16, 2021, 08:30:15 PM »
So Murdoch's starting his own channel, I see. Presumably that's where Brillo's going.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/sep/16/piers-morgan-hired-to-launch-rupert-murdoch-tv-station-talktv

« Reply #957 on: September 17, 2021, 12:40:08 AM »
Thread about that here.

Meanwhile:
BBC News: Andrew Neil: I was minority of one at GB News

Some interesting quotes in there.

« Reply #958 on: September 17, 2021, 12:45:50 AM »
oh so it turns out Andrew Neil is a fucking old pink idiot with no fucking talent beyond the fact he is independently wealthy from his time editing the Sunday Times 1983-94 under Murdoch, and that he's built like a immersion heater. incredible

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #959 on: September 17, 2021, 02:46:29 AM »
He’s one of these media berks that seems to think he is untouchable and owed an eye-watering salary, and because Fleet Street is run by similarly unintelligent berks he keeps getting what he wants.

In a way, it is very impressive. Imagine I thought I was an excellent formula 1 driver, and despite years of being manifestly unable to pilot a car to tesco and back I managed to hoodwink Renault into giving me a huge wedge of cash. Then they found me out and cut me loose, but by then I’d conned those credulous dipshits at Ferrari etc etc. By the time they’d all had their wallets inspected, I announced I was 70 and therefore retiring from the sport.

This is how a lot of politics and consulting appears to me.

Tags: