Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:59:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

On this day

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 12, 2021, 01:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteOn this day last year, ITV political editor Robert Peston wrote in the Spectator:

The key phrase we all need to understand is 'herd immunity' – which is what happens to a group of people or animals when they develop sufficient antibodies to be resistant to a disease.

The strategy of the British government in minimising the impact of Covid-19 is to allow the virus to pass through the entire population so that we acquire herd immunity, but at a much delayed speed so that those who suffer the most acute symptoms are able to receive the medical support they need, and such that the health service is not overwhelmed and crushed by the sheer number of cases it has to treat at any one time.

The kind of coercive measures employed by China in Wuhan and Hubei have simply locked the virus behind the closed doors of people's homes. And just as soon as the constraints on freedom of movement are lifted there, the monstrous virus will rear its hideous face again.

A classic case of self-appointed authority believing the sound of its own voice.

Norton Canes

Uncannily, a year to the day later and we've hit 125,000 deaths within 28 days of positive test - halfway to the 250,000 deaths it was predicted reaching herd immunity would cause.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 12, 2021, 02:08:46 PM
Uncannily, a year to the day later and we've hit 125,000 deaths within 28 days of positive test - halfway to the 250,000 deaths it was predicted reaching herd immunity would cause.

China soon to drop to around 90th in the World on cases, 53rd on deaths. Peston should be imprisoned.

Have cases been adjusted over the last few days. I'm pretty sure It was 116 million or so on Wednesday and 118 million yesterday, 119 today - but not million per day.

Captain Z

It was a year ago this week when it all started kicking off in work, we'd cancelled a trip to hold an internal conference between the project partners in favour of holding it online, and had to sit 2 chairs apart within our own meeting room for the first time.

Still went out for a curry at a local restaurant afterwards, which is mad, thinking back. But very much a sense that we might not be doing it again any time soon.

Cuellar

Just thought I'd look back at my emails from around this time last year, and ON THIS DAY I sent the following:

QuoteHi [man],

I think I'm going to work from home today if that's OK. I've got a bit of a sore throat, which I know isn't one of the symptoms of corona but I think taking it a bit easy and seeing how it progresses might be a good idea. I don't have a fever or a cough or anything so it's probably nothing serious!

Thanks,

Cuellar

I never set foot in the office again. Chilling.

Chedney Honks

Preston hangman noose when

poo

just check my diary this day a year ago I went to the doctor because bad piss

imitationleather

This time last year I was at Bang Face.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Robert Peston's act Graveraper were playing, iirc

Blinder Data

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 12, 2021, 02:40:11 PM
China soon to drop to around 90th in the World on cases, 53rd on deaths

Can we trust China's numbers though...?

BlodwynPig

MrMrs

ooft, back that up bitch

MrMrs

this time last year I was in a crowd for a grappling martial arts show lol

Dex Sawash

Quote from: weekender on March 13, 2020, 02:57:04 PM
Super Noodles, kitchen roll and multivitamins (not pictured) all on offer at Tesco.

We've all been told to work from home from Monday.

Down to my last 67 toilet rolls though, which is a bit worrying.

Miss the bogroll countdown

Drygate

Are we approaching herd immunity yet?

checkoutgirl

Why would an economics journalist be talking with authority about infectious diseases? That sounds irresponsible and dangerous to me. Wikipedia says he supports Arsenal so maybe there's a link there.

Wikipedia also says his wife died of cancer which is very sad so maybe he's trying to get revenge on the world by helping to kill as many people as possible, like a comic book villain. Or maybe it's the confidence of an Oxford education.

shiftwork2

They meant to ask Robert Pesto, who is both an expert in epidemiology and a pioneer in pine nuts, basil and a bit of parmesan for low-effort cookery.  You can see how they made a simple error.

checkoutgirl

Herd immunity is ironically probably the only way enough humans can be killed in order for the ecosystem to have a chance of sustaining us in future. I'm surprised Greta Thunberg hasn't at least floated the idea.