Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,495
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:09:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Isn't Ian Svenonious brillant?

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 12, 2021, 04:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

He is, isn't he?

Listened to the Too Much album for the first time today and it's just ace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wzqUk25iVo&t=34s

Oh Ian, I love you.

wosl

Nice, that.  And the track after it in the playlist, Lay It On The Line, is better still.  I'm a sucker for an insouciant horn tootle.

Gregory Torso

I didn't like The Make-Up that much on record, but saw them live in late 90s and that mf oozed cool like a broken air con unit.

Have you seen the film Half-Cocked (low rez link)? It's pretty bad as a film but there's some sick band footage/great soundtrack and Ian Svenonius has a key role in it.

Gregory Torso

Nation Of Ulysses were amazing, though. Never saw them live but really wish I could have.

jobotic

Got this in the bookmarks along the top of my page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiy90K7dJXs

Saw them when they first came to London. Fucking amazing gig. Amazing presence (not just him either).

I don't really know his stuff after The Make-Up apart from the David Candy album which is gorgeous.

holyzombiejesus

Not seen half-cocked but will check it out, cheers. Anyone ever read any of his books?

I really liked Chain & The Gang. Saw them a couple of times, once in a tiny little upstairs room in Manchester and they were fucking brilliant. One of the best gigs I've ever been to, utter bedlam.

It was a bit like this, one of the best live videos ever... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWttQQCM7fw

PaulTMA

kngen

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 12, 2021, 09:59:15 PM
Nation Of Ulysses were amazing, though. Never saw them live but really wish I could have.

I was very fortunate to see them. Went along with little to no expectations after a friend recommended them, but it remains one of my top 10 gigs of all time. Shame the records (as good as they are) never really captured what they did live.

Noodle Lizard

I still haven't got the hang of him. I first encountered him doing an interview with Buzz Osborne, and had no idea if it was a "bit" or not. Further research has led to me to believe it was, but I'm not quite sure what the bit is. I've since heard some of his music. Still no wiser for it. I'll check out some of the videos in this thread.

Had no idea he'd been #cancelled as well. What happened there?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

BBC 2 Boss demands more inclusive rewrite from Paul Whitehouse ( " It was bad enough when that Rob Newman fellow was wittering on about Mark Coardener from Ride!").

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

There will never be a time when one is not in the mood to hear " Certain Kinds Of Trash" by Chain and the Gang.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 07, 2021, 10:28:30 PM
Had no idea he'd been #cancelled as well. What happened there?

He cancelled himself saying he'd been a creep, his label dropped him, he deleted the post saying he was cancelling himself and now he's got a new album due. No-one came forward with any allegations afaik so the whole thing seems a bit odd.

SteveDave

I met him for an interview my friend was doing before Chain And The Gang played at the Dome in 2014 and he's a charismatic mf. I've got a video of that interview somewhere. Later I fell in love with the guitarist from "The Gang" but it was unrequited.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SteveDave on October 08, 2021, 09:49:21 AM
Later I fell in love with the guitarist from "The Gang" but it was unrequited.

Was it Fabi Reyna? She's so great.

SteveDave

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 08, 2021, 01:26:58 PM
Was it Fabi Reyna? She's so great.

It was the young lady with the white hair here

the science eel

Quote from: SteveDave on October 08, 2021, 09:49:21 AM
I met him for an interview my friend was doing before Chain And The Gang played at the Dome in 2014 and he's a charismatic mf.

I'm surprised you say that. He doesn't seem to have any personality whatsoever in the interviews he did with Mark E. Maybe he was just in awe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENq0rtSqHLA

kngen

Quote from: the science eel on October 08, 2021, 05:36:37 PM
Maybe he was just in awe

Must have been. Met him too, and he's just the right side of odd and a bit otherworldly to be totally engaging and charming.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: the science eel on October 08, 2021, 05:36:37 PM
I'm surprised you say that. He doesn't seem to have any personality whatsoever in the interviews he did with Mark E. Maybe he was just in awe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENq0rtSqHLA

Just look at Mark E. Smith there with his beer next to him. Do the interview without drinking, ya jakie.

A fine brace of hair- dyed heads, though.

Does anyone else think IS has the look of a younger Elliot Gould about him?

the science eel

MES drank through every interview!

I wondered about MES dyeing his hair. It doesn't seem right, not for him. But having no grey at 60 - that wouldn't either.

Elliott Gould....aye, yeah.

dissolute ocelot

Saw the Make-Up in the late 90s in Edinburgh's late lamented Venue, which was the perfect place for insanely sweaty gigs with frontpeople who liked standing on the audience's shoulders and being able to touch the ceiling. Great gig, but they seemed to release a lot of albums very quickly to rapidly diminishing effect. They were one of those bands who seem to know exactly what they're doing even if it makes no sense to anyone else, and if they explained it the magic would be gone. Which is probably the definition of a cult. "I am pentagon. Which side are you gonna be on?" Um, do you have a diagram?

SteveDave

I bought his "Supernatural Strategies For Making A Rock N Roll Group" ages ago but have still yet to read it. It's not alone in my unread pile.