Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:51:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone actually think "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours" is a good album titl

Started by Johnny Textface, March 13, 2021, 01:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

Is this the board's Manics thread now?

Anyway, 30-second teaser thing popped up on the band's Twitter and Facebook, accompanied by the hashtag "#TUVL", the date of May 14th at the end of the clip

https://twitter.com/Manics/status/1391710736217427969

Presumably TUVL is the next album's title initialised, looks like an announcement is happening on Friday. Guessing the new album and possibly a tour.

Still wondering if the NHS gigs in Cardiff are going ahead. I already had one gig lined up that got pushed back to next year, and that was outdoors. The Manics are supposed to be doing the Motorpoint Arena. I can't see those gigs happening in July.

Glyn

Favourite guess I've seen so far is 'Triangles Under Various Lighting' (sums up the teaser video rather perfectly). Based on past form the first word is The and the last is probably Love isn't it ?

Have seen that Wire has pitched this album as 'The Clash playing Abba' so that's two bands it will sound nothing like.

Kankurette

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 15, 2021, 09:05:05 AM
Any sign of icehaven? I seem to remember her doing a post about being at a Manic's gig as a teenager and sitting with her back to the support acts, in protest against them for having the audacity to not be the Manic Street Preachers. They did seem to generate that kind of fanaticism at times. I remember a lad from round our way singing stuff off Everything Must Go in the pub one night. Don't remember him singing anything in the pub before or since.

I always liked that tune about Elvis on Blackpool beach.
That sounds like peak Manics fan tbh. Nicky never changes. A friend of mine calls him Plank and it's stuck with me. The Clash meets ABBA? Yeah, right, Plank.

One time I trolled a Manics chat room by pretending to be the singer from the Beta Band. I was 15 or so.

purlieu

Twelve Underwhelming Vapid Lovesongs was my guess on Forever Delayed.

Last month's Mojo interview included the words restrained, subtle and comforting melancholia, as well as the info that it was largely written on piano. So anyone who's only into rawk Manics will probably be best off avoiding it.

JohnnyCouncil

Guess they're doing Rewind the Film again this time. That's okay, I liked that one.

Kankurette

turnstyle

The Ugly Veil Lifted

OR

Truro's Ultimate Vegetable Lasagna

Definitely one of those.

The Ultra Vivid Lament: https://youtu.be/Lg2HrqFsz14

Is that Kylie singing?

Some absolute appalling lyrics in there. Can't wait.

Spiteface

It's not Kylie.

Tracklisting got leaked on Amazon, and since pulled, but someone caught it, and this appears to be the tracklisting:

Still Snowing in Sapporo
Orwellian
The Secret He Had Missed - Manic Street Preachers feat. Julia Cumming
Quest for Ancient Colour
Don't Let the Night Divide Us
Diapause
Complicated Illusions
Into the Waves of Love
Blank Diary Entry - Manic Street Preachers feat. Mark Lanegan
Happy Bored Alone
Afterending

so the female voice you heard, that was Julia Cumming.

Speaking of things posted & pulled, looks like we'll get Orwellian confirmed as the single tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkqBVB2Ydy0

purlieu

The sound, from the clips in that, really reminds me of the There By the Grace of God b-sides... energetic but not heavily guitar-led; pianoey but not in the slick Lifeblood way.

Glyn

Quote from: Spiteface on May 13, 2021, 11:20:04 AM

Speaking of things posted & pulled, looks like we'll get Orwellian confirmed as the single tomorrow.

Which some clever folks have noticed works if you use a VPN via New Zealand.

Wasn't hugely impressed on first listen but the chorus is a grower. Can hear the Abba reference and sounds like one of the more polished Lifeblood tracks to me (Song For A Departure-esque I would say).

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 13, 2021, 02:08:03 PM

The band has gone from teenage obsession to a group of guys I rarely think of these days.

Sums it up for me.

And no that is not a good album title.

lankyguy95

Yeah it's a pretty bad title and I wish they hadn't put it front and centre of the album cover too.

Chicory

Quote from: lankyguy95 on May 13, 2021, 03:56:58 PM
Yeah it's a pretty bad title and I wish they hadn't put it front and centre of the album cover too.

I think it's that modern thing of making the title look all big and obvious so it can be seen clearly on a device thumbnail, like LCD Soundsystem did with 'American Dream'.

Spiteface

I like Orwellian.

It's not a bold reinvention or anything, but a solid first taste of the new album.

Shaky

Yeah, it's pretty good after a couple of listens. Wretched lyrics, but that's par for the course these days.

JohnnyCouncil

I'm assuming this is 'album taster' and that 'first single' will be released when they album goes up for sale. Don't think much of this tbh, would agree the lyrics are absolute bobbins.

What's Diapause? Can you get it over the counter? If you take too many do you get properly bunged up?

purlieu

Crikey, descriptions that suggested something Lifeblood-esque and references to Abba and the lead single actually sounds like Lifeblood-era Manics doing an Abba song. Is this the first time Nicky's not talked complete bollocks before an album?

I've never listened to them for their lyrics - Nicky's are normally vague platitudes, Richey's were exceptionally tedious sixth form angst "look how clever I am" twaddle - but even then, the slightly centrist perspective he's been taking recently doesn't do him any good. Not knowing which side to choose isn't a particularly good look at this particular point in recent history.

Shaky

I can't agree about Richie's lyrics - disjointed at times, but he could spin out a great phrase or 12 and at least the band had some fury behind them. Nicky's words just seem to be "there" to give James something to sing. Quite shockingly shit and the grammar is frequently atrocious.

As he writes quite a lot of the music these days, I wonder if he simply doesn't care anymore.

markburgle

Quote from: purlieu on May 10, 2021, 08:16:43 PM
Twelve Underwhelming Vapid Lovesongs was my guess on Forever Delayed.

Why doesn't Forever Delayed accept new members? You see the occasional gripe on there about how the place is quieter than it used to be, but it's hardly any wonder!

I agree Nicky's lyrics are usually shite - especially on the new single, which is a shame cos it's a refreshingly good tune for them. But he had some good ones on Futurology, I thought, as well as some impressive music credits. I liked I'm well aware of happiness / and what it takes to get to it / But the simple struggle of survival / Transforms itself into betrayal. But maybe the way Green Gartside sang it elevated it somehow

purlieu

Quote from: Shaky on May 15, 2021, 01:19:28 AM
I can't agree about Richie's lyrics - disjointed at times, but he could spin out a great phrase or 12 and at least the band had some fury behind them.
Yeah, I know I'm probably in the minority with this, I think he was just the polar opposite of what I want from a lyricist really. I like witty storytelling songs and evocative words full of imagery, not really after angst or polemic. With the Manics, I'm in it for the music really.

Icehaven

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 15, 2021, 09:05:05 AM
Any sign of icehaven? I seem to remember her doing a post about being at a Manic's gig as a teenager and sitting with her back to the support acts, in protest against them for having the audacity to not be the Manic Street Preachers. They did seem to generate that kind of fanaticism at times.

Haha! It wasn't quite that, it was actually a Puressence gig and their support act (can't remember who they were) said something disparaging about the Manics so I shouted something rude at them then sat on the floor with my back to them for the rest of their set, which I doubt they noticed as it was crowded and I was near the back. I really stuck it to them by sitting in spilt beer for half an hour. I was, as always back then, wearing a Manics Tshirt so I think I felt I had to defend them somehow, which was ridiculous and self-absorbed and absolutely in character for me when I was 17.

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiteface on May 13, 2021, 11:20:04 AM
It's not Kylie.

Tracklisting got leaked on Amazon, and since pulled, but someone caught it, and this appears to be the tracklisting:

Still Snowing in Sapporo
Orwellian
The Secret He Had Missed - Manic Street Preachers feat. Julia Cumming
Quest for Ancient Colour
Don't Let the Night Divide Us
Diapause
Complicated Illusions
Into the Waves of Love
Blank Diary Entry - Manic Street Preachers feat. Mark Lanegan
Happy Bored Alone
Afterending

so the female voice you heard, that was Julia Cumming.

Was trying to figure out why the name Julia Cumming rang a bell, and listening to James Dean Bradfield doing interviews for the album, I realised. Cumming is the lead singer from Sunflower Bean, who supported the Manics at Cardiff Castle in 2019. Not bad, bit Fleetwood Mac-y.

willbo

Has anyone listened to Anchoress much? I found her music amazing at first but got worn out on how overblown it was kind of quickly