Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:48:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Terror - BBC 2's "new" horror show

Started by dead-ced-dead, March 13, 2021, 09:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

I thought a lot of their clobber looked cosy as fuck. Not as cosy as fuck as the eskimos' gear, but not bad.

Mobius

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 29, 2021, 07:29:01 PM
That's a thing actually: Their clothes were blatantly inadequate for the cold (which was true of the real expedition, apparently) but it rarely seemed to be an issue. They were even going around without coats and jumpers in the last couple of episodes, like a bunch of geordies.

I sort of put that down to them being poisoned by their food and generally completely fucked up and made mental by their surroundings

An tSaoi

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the show, but there's a thing called paradoxical undressing, where people suffering from hypothermia actually start to wear less clothes. It's so cold that it fucks with the part of your brain that recognises body temperature, so people think it's boiling out.

jobotic

Neomod

The Terror and Erebus had internal heating systems so they would have been warm enough in those 18 months stuck in the ice. As for venturing outside, it's all about the layers innit.

jobotic

Quote from: ersatz99 on March 15, 2021, 04:02:42 PM
Just as I was starting to accept the horror of cannibalism we get to see
Spoiler alert
the madness that Crozier discovered with Edward's necklaced face
[close]

What was that about? Just something he'd done as he'd gone mad.

And I know "Hickey" was off his tits but what was he hoping to achieve at the end there? To become one with the creature?

I thought this was incredibly good but I'm not sure I'm glad I watched it. Ugh.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: jobotic on April 01, 2021, 04:00:23 PM
And I know "Hickey" was off his tits but what was he hoping to achieve at the end there? To become one with the creature?
I think so. Cutting out his tongue was some sort of ritual to control the beast, hence Lady Silence doing the same thing earlier in the series and her father's autopsy revealing that he'd done the same. I similarly sacrificed a body part
Spoiler alert
as I laughed my arse off when the unimpressed monster murdered the fuck out of him.
[close]

It's a small moment, but one of my favourite bits of the series was Mr. Goodsir seeing right through Hickey's manipulaitve schtick and asking him if it ever really works on anyone.

jobotic

Yes the beast's reaction was good. Lady Silence didn't really control it did they? Just communicated with it?

The whole thing would have been horrific without it, not sure it was really necessary.

Quote from: jobotic on April 01, 2021, 04:41:30 PM
The whole thing would have been horrific without it, not sure it was really necessary.
Yep. I can accept it as part of the sailors' lead/scurvy/etc. induced madness, or a metaphor for Nature's indifference to human suffering or whatever. The portrayal in the show did feel like it verged a little too close to the literal though. Case in point being the whole forensic discussion about the two bodies cut in half[nb]"Hemisected"[/nb] that couldn't have been done by human hands.

jobotic

Yeah, although Crozier's line how about they weren't even supposed to the monster existed (because they're not meant to be there) was good.

But it almost distracts from the horror that they really went through.

Turns out one of them (Hartnell) were from round here and there's a memorial to him in a local church. Will go and have a look when I can.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/medway-sailord-body-exhumed-a71007/

Quote from: jobotic on April 01, 2021, 05:17:12 PM
Turns out one of them (Hartnell) were from round here and there's a memorial to him in a local church. Will go and have a look when I can.

Freezing to death or being mauled by Tuunbaq must have been luxury, after enduring Gillingham.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 01, 2021, 04:29:31 PM
It's a small moment, but one of my favourite bits of the series was Mr. Goodsir seeing right through Hickey's manipulaitve schtick and asking him if it ever really works on anyone

Crozier gets some great Hickey put-downs. And when Hickey reckons Goodsir's probably forgotten how many autopsies he's done, Goodsir shoots right back with "Twenty. I've done twenty."

Hickey's great when he's being all sly and manipulative on the ship, but once he leads the mutiny and his treachery's exposed, he does turn into a bit of a cartoon villain.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: jobotic on April 01, 2021, 05:17:12 PM
Yeah, although Crozier's line how about they weren't even supposed to the monster existed (because they're not meant to be there) was good.

But it almost distracts from the horror that they really went through.

Look how happy that dead bloke is! Bless!!

paruses

Quote from: jobotic on April 01, 2021, 04:00:23 PM
What was that about? Just something he'd done as he'd gone mad.

I thought this was incredibly good but I'm not sure I'm glad I watched it. Ugh.

I thought his necklaced face was just the wind blowing the metal necklace up into his face and it freezing there. I had a similar "oh for fuck's sake" when Crozier first started to tend to him though.

I thought Hickey was great as a pass-agg psycho. Less impressed as an out and out villain but still good. Wasn't his original plan to kill the beast which would give them enough supplies of meat and clothing to get the wherever? I assume he just lost it at the very end with the whole tongue thing. Bit of a mixed message tbh.