Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SuperTed is coming back

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 13, 2021, 05:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

SuperTed was part of my childhood. The bear and his alien sidekick fighting Texas Pete, Skeleton and Bulk.

Now they are bringing back the red-clad bear for a new animated series by 2023.

Was anyone else a fan of SuperTed as a child (or as an adult) and are you looking forward to the new series? Do you think children in the 2020s will like SuperTed or do they all like lots of sugar and Minecraft these days?

Quote"SuperTed will have to be a little bit different as there's things you could do and say in cartoons 40 years ago that isn't acceptable to today's audiences so we'll have to move with the times and it'll be updated."

I suppose calling one of the villains Bulk because he is fat would be offensive to most people today. There's one episode where SuperTed befriends a Native American but I haven't seen how that is handled.

SuperTed ran for three seasons, you can see an episode guide here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperTed#Premise

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56011789

madhair60

Spotty is problematic, Texas Pete is problematic, Bulk is problematic, Skeleton is problematic, it's just gonna be SuperTed doing fuck all at this rate. Fucking hell I'm sick of this lefty crap ruining everything that matters.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I refuse to believe SuperTed has a premise.

Goldentony

do they ever go into how a big bloke, a cowboy and a skeleton became friends

madhair60

Quote from: Goldentony on March 13, 2021, 05:53:41 PM

They're all the same bloke from different points in time, there's time travel involved

El Unicornio, mang

They were trying to start a band like The Village People but gave up.

JaDanketies

They found something wrong with him, and threw him away... like a piece of rubbish

A spotty man brought him to life with his cosmic dust
He took him to a magic cloud
Where Mother Nature gave him special powers
That bear became...
SUPERTED!

I downloaded it as an adult, it doesn't hold up as well as it did when I was 5. Hopefully in the remake we'll discover what exactly is the magic word that he says to become SuperTed.

Consignia

I googled skeleton and his wiki page says his origin is unknown, and it's strange he doesn't have lungs. Useful stuff to know.

wooders1978

I'm sure my mates kid watches a rebooted modernised version already?

purlieu

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 13, 2021, 06:04:17 PM
They were trying to start a band like The Village People but gave up.
Given that Skeleton is outrageously camp, this isn't the least likely scenario imaginable.

Fr.Bigley

Replies From View

There was actually a US version of SuperTed.  I spat out my Ricycles when I learned this.

Butchers Blind

Apart from ripping his fur off and flying, what other super powers did he have?  And was he non-flammable?

El Unicornio, mang

Replies From View

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 13, 2021, 06:40:45 PM
Oh God, that theme tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrotbZq_r8M&ab_channel=K%27RtoonExpress

Awful, but not much worse than the off-kilter music they used at the end of the UK SuperTed.

SuperTed flies through the air
Like a piece of bread
SuperTeeeeeeeeed
SuperTeeeeeeeeeeeeed
SuperTeeeeeeeeeeed....
SuTed!

Actually made me feel sick to hear that music, and I'm not joking.  Anything I struggled to make sense of would turn my stomach and there's no comprehending that.

Fambo Number Mive

Bulk and Texas Petr met in prison. Not sure about the skeleton.

JaDanketies

daf

Quote from: JaDanketies on March 13, 2021, 06:09:54 PM
Hopefully in the remake we'll discover what exactly is the magic word that he says to become SuperTed.

Spoiler alert
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogo-go-go-superpowers!!
[close]

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 13, 2021, 06:57:45 PM
Bulk and Texas Petr met in prison. Not sure about the skeleton.

Ah yes, the Czech dub. Pretty sure the skeleton was cut due to his Western imperialist capitalist agenda. Similar to how they rewrote Chucklevision so Dan the Van was instead referred to as Rotherham Party Secretary Novotny.

Magnum Valentino

Not looking it up, tell me this, is Skeleton an abbreviation or is that his full name and also is he just a skeleton.

Replies From View

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 13, 2021, 08:34:38 PM
Not looking it up, tell me this, is Skeleton an abbreviation or is that his full name and also is he just a skeleton.

I suspect that as with Roy Skelton any overlap between his name and him being a skeleton is largely coincidental. 

Everything becomes their name eventually.

Replies From View

St_Eddie

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 13, 2021, 05:38:33 PM
Was anyone else a fan of SuperTed as a child (or as an adult)...

I had a SuperTed outfit as a child.  I used to wear it as often as possible and would insist that my Mum washed it every other day so that I could strut around the place in my little SuperTed outfit.

Gregory Torso

In the canonical world of Superted, you've got evidence of reanimation / necromancy (Texas Pete has resurrected a skeleton, Spotty animates a stuffed animal), why is everyone dicking around stealing cakes and helping dogs cross the road? Texas Pete should be raising an army of the undead against Spotty's troops of animated alive fucking tanks and buildings. It should be world-destroying chaos.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 13, 2021, 09:47:21 PM
I had a SuperTed outfit as a child.  I used to wear it as often as possible and would insist that my Mum washed it every other day so that I could strut around the place in my little SuperTed outfit.

Let me understand, please:

1) Did it have a bear skin outfit with a superhero outfit underneath, and a zip as per the real SuperTed?

2) Was a full bear head part of the costume, or what was the head arrangement of this SuperTed outfit?

3) The superhero outfit beneath the bear skin outfit.  Did it have a zip of its own, revealing your own naked skin?  How routinely did you utilise this 'feature'?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on March 13, 2021, 10:02:24 PM
Let me understand, please:

1) Did it have a bear skin outfit with a superhero outfit underneath, and a zip as per the real SuperTed?

2) Was a full bear head part of the costume, or what was the head arrangement of this SuperTed outfit?

3) The superhero outfit beneath the bear skin outfit.  Did it have a zip of its own, revealing your own naked skin?  How routinely did you utilise this 'feature'?

There was no bear head.  I am unable to find any photos of the outfit online but it was essentially this...

My Mum took to calling me "Edward Bear".  I came back from my first day at school and angrily said to my Mum "it's DAVIES at the end, Mum. Not Bear!", after I had made a fool of myself in class for "correcting" my teacher when she called out my name on the register.

Phil_A

Quote from: Replies From View on March 13, 2021, 06:34:57 PM
There was actually a US version of SuperTed.  I spat out my Ricycles when I learned this.

I was surprised to find out they only made thirteen episode of US Superted, it felt like there were fucking hundreds of them.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 13, 2021, 10:26:56 PM
There was no bear head.  I am unable to find any photos of the outfit online but it was essentially this...

Where's the "Ted" element of that costume?!

Replies From View

Quote from: Phil_A on March 13, 2021, 10:40:42 PM
I was surprised to find out they only made thirteen episode of US Superted, it felt like there were fucking hundreds of them.

I had that with Postman Pat; where did you live to encounter endless repeats of the US SuperTed as a child?