Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:56:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SuperTed is coming back

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 13, 2021, 05:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on March 13, 2021, 11:05:32 PM
Where's the "Ted" element of that costume?!

'Round the back.

...I'll meet you there in 10 minutes.

madhair60

Phil_A

Quote from: Replies From View on March 13, 2021, 11:07:45 PM
I had that with Postman Pat; where did you live to encounter endless repeats of the US SuperTed as a child?

Watching a lot of Children's BBC between 1990 - 93 apparently, as BBC Genome informs me that was the entirety of it's run.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?q=further+adventures+of+superted#search

Fucking hell, 68 showings. That means they must've gone through the whole run around five times. They definitely got their moneysworth out of that one.

petril

it used to be my pain in the arse job stopping my pain in the arse brother being a dickhead and spoiling it for my sister when her turn to watch it was on

Dex Sawash

I thought this was about resurrection of Marty Funkhouser from Curb Your Enthusiasm

beanheadmcginty

Bulk with the American accent did my fucking head in at the time.

Replies From View

Quote from: Phil_A on March 14, 2021, 12:39:54 AM
Watching a lot of Children's BBC between 1990 - 93 apparently, as BBC Genome informs me that was the entirety of it's run.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?q=further+adventures+of+superted#search

Fucking hell, 68 showings. That means they must've gone through the whole run around five times. They definitely got their moneysworth out of that one.

Well that's obviously after my time as far as SuperTed is concerned, but I'm amazed it never appeared on my radar while I was scooting around looking for Woof! and Knightmare and Art Attack and stuff.  SuperTed with American accents shouldn't have been easily missed.

Do you remember them being American?  Or is it possible they revoiced the American series with the original English voices for the UK?

Phil_A

Derek Griffiths and Jon Pertwee were dubbed into to the UK version, which was very incongruous since they kept the US voice actors for all the other parts

Phil_A

It occurs to me listening to it now, I've never understood half the lyrics of the original Superted closing theme. It's nearly all incomprehensible gibberish apart from the word "Superted".

A stolid suit, a perfect paaaaaaaaain
A magic word, a super shaaaaaaaaaame
But when he cained his brain,
He's Suuuuuperteeeed
Suuuuuuperteeeeed
Suuuuuuperteeeeed

Replies From View

Quote from: Phil_A on March 14, 2021, 09:43:52 AM
It occurs to me listening to it now, I've never understood half the lyrics of the original Superted closing theme. It's nearly all incomprehensible gibberish apart from the word "Superted".

A stolid suit, a perfect paaaaaaaaain
A magic word, a super shaaaaaaaaaame
But when he cained his brain,
He's Suuuuuperteeeed
Suuuuuuperteeeeed
Suuuuuuperteeeeed

Yep, and then when it picks up it goes:

Quote from: Replies From View on March 13, 2021, 06:44:31 PM
SuperTed flies through the air
Like a piece of bread
SuperTeeeeeeeeed
SuperTeeeeeeeeeeeeed
SuperTeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed....
SuTed!

Whyyyy do they skip the middle syllable for the final summary of the character?

My years spent languishing over the television for this, when I could have been putting my brain to reading comprehension activities instead.

purlieu

QuoteTexas Pete uses some cosmic dust to bring a mummy back to life.
QuoteSpotty's spots are stolen. There are a whole host of suspects and Ted, being a consummate detective buff, applies the combined crime-busting techniques of all the world's great detectives to ferret out the solution.
QuoteIntergalactic war is about to break out between Planet Stripe and Planet Spot.
QuoteDr Freezing Frost and his trusty henchguin Penguin Man want to turn the world into a giant ice rink.

The writers really went to town with their imaginations, then.

beanheadmcginty

I'm sure I read somewhere once that the SuperTed theme tune was sung by Grotbags, but I can't find any evidence of that on Google now.

idunnosomename

It seems that nearly every episode is about Texas Pete and the other two trying to steal a thing and SuperTed stops them.

Seems a poor do that they are not placed in custody to prevent their repeated acts of larceny.

ALSO I BET NOW SUPERTED WILL BE A GENDERFLUID PERSON OF COLOUR. YOU COULDNT MAKE IT UP

Replies From View

On the subject of the closing theme lyrics, you try googling it and you end up with a load of weird hacking sites that open up a billion pop-ups.  Incredible.

So I went on a youtube video for it and someone has posted the lyrics there.  Put into spoiler tags in case you never want to know them.

Spoiler alert
A scarlet suit, a flowing cape.A magic word, a secret change.

But when his cape is spread,
He's Superted,
Superted, Super-ted!
Who's the bear, Shoots through the air,
Like a streak of red?

Superted, Superted!
Superted, Superted!
[close]

I guess the Dogtanian lyrics must be next.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Phil_A on March 13, 2021, 10:40:42 PM
I was surprised to find out they only made thirteen episode of US Superted, it felt like there were fucking hundreds of them.

The Mr. Benn effect.

notjosh

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 13, 2021, 06:38:02 PM
Apart from ripping his fur off and flying, what other super powers did he have?

Don't forget that he always left his ripped-off fur behind, and also had more fur visible beneath his cape. Presumably that means that he alternated between layers of naked fur and supersuit all the way down to his core like an onion, and had to shed it regularly, like a snake.

Not sure why they didn't call the show OnionSnake to be honest.

Glebe

Phil_A

It's confusing thinking back why Superted bothered ever not being Superted for any length of time. He doesn't have a secret identity he needs to protect, he's a flippin' magical toy bear bought to life by alien pixie dust.

Replies From View

Quote from: notjosh on March 15, 2021, 04:27:11 PM
Don't forget that he always left his ripped-off fur behind, and also had more fur visible beneath his cape. Presumably that means that he alternated between layers of naked fur and supersuit all the way down to his core like an onion, and had to shed it regularly, like a snake.

Not sure why they didn't call the show OnionSnake to be honest.

Presumably then he gets gradually smaller and smaller each time.

Replies From View

Quote from: Phil_A on March 15, 2021, 06:47:30 PM
It's confusing thinking back why Superted bothered ever not being Superted for any length of time. He doesn't have a secret identity he needs to protect, he's a flippin' magical toy bear bought to life by alien pixie dust.

Yeah they missed a trick where they could have had a Toy Story set-up, with SuperTed having an owner and being played with.  Would have been a right royal pain in the arse for him but better for the viewer.

petril

Quote from: Replies From View on March 15, 2021, 06:59:24 PM
Yeah they missed a trick where they could have had a Toy Story set-up, with SuperTed having an owner and being played with.  Would have been a right royal pain in the arse for him but better for the viewer.

picturing the owner leaving the room and the show turns into an animated Early Doors, haze of smoke and everything

notjosh

Quote from: Replies From View on March 15, 2021, 06:58:32 PM
Presumably then he gets gradually smaller and smaller each time.

I think he keeps growing in between, so as long as Texas Pete doesn't try to steal 3 Incan treasures in the same day he'll be alright.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: notjosh on March 16, 2021, 05:28:57 PM
so as long as Texas Pete doesn't try to steal 3 Incan treasures in the same day he'll be alright.

Let's hope he isn't a member here then.

SteveDave

Quote from: Phil_A on March 14, 2021, 09:13:06 AM
Derek Griffiths and Jon Pertwee were dubbed into to the UK version, which was very incongruous since they kept the US voice actors for all the other parts

Are you having a crap of me?

Texas Pete was Victor Spinetti, Bulk was Roy Kinnear and Skeleton was Melvyn Hayes.

I did work experience at the place that made SuperTed. It was very boring but I did get to listen to Radio 1 and do my own drawings all day so I can't complain too much. I also saw a few episodes of a cartoon they made about a kid who had a magic radio or sutin that (to my knowledge) has never been broadcast.

Phil_A

Quote from: SteveDave on March 17, 2021, 01:26:55 PM
Are you having a crap of me?

Texas Pete was Victor Spinetti, Bulk was Roy Kinnear and Skeleton was Melvyn Hayes.

I think you have properly got the wrong end of the stick. We were talking about the US "Further Adventures Of Superted" made by Hanna-Barbera. For the UK version of that we got Pertwee & Griffiths dubbed in instead of whoever it was in the Americas.

Well, blow me down, just double-checked to see if I was talking out of my arse, and it turns Spinetti & Hayes were also in the US version, not Kinnear sadly as he'd died a couple of years before. The other cast members were all cartoon voice veterans like Frank Welker, Tress MacNeil, Pat Fraley, Charlie Adler etc.

idunnosomename

If any superhero should've been peeling their skin off to transform you think it'd be Bananaman

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 17, 2021, 05:40:24 PM
If any superhero should've been peeling their skin off to transform you think it'd be Bananaman

An altogether more expansive tin of worms.

What exactly is going on in the Bananaman transformation?  It's mesmerising.

notjosh

Quote from: Replies From View on March 17, 2021, 06:27:04 PM
What exactly is going on in the Bananaman transformation?  It's mesmerising.

Need to see a John Landis/Rick Baker version of this.

idunnosomename

The banana skin just vanishes inside his hand so i assume he absorbs it?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 18, 2021, 10:34:53 AM
The banana skin just vanishes inside his hand so i assume he absorbs it?

You don't want to know where that skin went.

He seems pretty obsessed with bananas, but he can only eat them when he has to become a superhero? Unrealistic.