Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:15:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Phwoar thread redux

Started by touchingcloth, March 14, 2021, 05:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phwoar thread

It's great - keep it
98 (53.3%)
It's phwoarful, shit it off
85 (46.2%)
serious bzness
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 184

touchingcloth

We had a long thread about this last year, but it's Mother's Day, International Women's Day was this week, and yet another woman's murder has triggered yet another cultural flashpoint and it would be nice for the result of that to be not yet another big load of nothing. So fuckit, let's do it again.

It would be nice to not have this thread on the site. It feels like the single biggest stain on what is otherwise a brilliant place. Sure certain topics always result in threads where the bickering gets undignified and unproductive, but I can't think of a single other place where the questionable nature of things is so concentrated and so one-sided. Yes it's not only men who post in there and it's not only pictures of women that get posted, but come the fuck on.

We have form for improving this sort of thing - even though all of us have a good grasp of comedic irony, there's an extremely high bar which needs to be met for ironic racism to fly. Could you imagine us ever restoring the original name of Wimblewrong?

Yours, with love, etc.

Buelligan

An tSaoi

It's not quite in the same league as murder, is it?

Spiteface

Didn't we have this thread already, quite recently?

Besides, you ever read the rest of H.S. Art? It's fucking dire.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Non Stop Dancer

I like to ogle pictures of women as much as the next ogler, but having a thread here specifically for that purpose does seem a bit inappropriate.

Pink Gregory

JamesTC

Sexy pictures of Rhea Seehorn and Bob Odenkirk will leak over the rest of the forum if you get rid of it.

Fambo Number Mive

Yes, I think it should go. I disagree with Spiteface that the rest of HS Art is dire though. It's a fun place for creativity and silliness, and I think it will be even better without the Phwoar thread, and hopefully a bit more welcoming.

Chedney Honks

But where will people go to look for pictures of attractive women

Retinend

There will be lecherous spillover, Ghostbusters-II-style.

royce coolidge

Yes,sack it off from here,there's hardly a shortage of that sort of thing in other parts of the internet if you want that.
Enough female members have said it makes them uncomfortable on here,hardly a sacrifice.

Blue Jam

HS Art is good for containing all the attention-seeking whimsy that used to clog up General Bullshit.

Buelligan

I think you'll find there's still plenty of attention-seeking whimsy here, place wouldn't be the same without it.

chveik

yeah get rid, it's a stain on hs art

touchingcloth

Quote from: Retinend on March 14, 2021, 05:47:46 PM
There will be lecherous spillover, Ghostbusters-II-style.

I think that's actually a good thing. Posters here are free to post racial slurs, and they're free to call Wimblewrong by its original name. They should feel free to post phwoar-style pictures in any and all threads, but in all three cases it would be nice if people knew that the collective reaction is likely to be "would you like to explain that for us?"

lipsink

Yeah, I've posted on it but I don't feel right about it to be honest.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 14, 2021, 05:54:25 PM
I think that's actually a good thing. Posters here are free to post racial slurs, and they're free to call Wimblewrong by its original name. They should feel free to post phwoar-style pictures in any and all threads, but in all three cases it would be nice if people knew that the collective reaction is likely to be "would you like to explain that for us?"

Randy Newman considers rewrite.

Butchers Blind

Not bothered. I know where the real grumble is if I want to have a fumble.

Retinend

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Gulftastic

I only check it for the articles.

Johnny Yesno

-1'd. It's one of the few interesting threads in HS Art.

Ferris

HS Art is boss, you lunatics.

rue the polywhirl

Don't see why a thread sharing photos of photogenic people has to be problem and it's effectively moderated as it is anyway. Last page of the thread has Jon Hamm, House and Wilson, Bob Odenkirk...

The Mollusk

Quote from: Spiteface on March 14, 2021, 05:35:50 PM
Besides, you ever read the rest of H.S. Art? It's fucking dire.
Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 14, 2021, 06:07:30 PM
-1'd. It's one of the few interesting threads in HS Art.

Totally missing the point, nice

Johnny Yesno

The Mollusk

"Here's my useless personal opinion on the state of the whole subforum, which completely overlooks the way someone who is not a man like me might feel about the existence of such a thread."

Catalogue Trousers

Just ditch it. You want wank-fodder? Whatever your tastes, there's plenty of it elsewhere.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 14, 2021, 06:19:24 PM
"Here's my useless personal opinion on the state of the whole subforum, which completely overlooks the way someone who is not a man like me might feel about the existence of such a thread."

As opposed to 'Here's my useless personal opinion on a thread I never read'.