Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:40:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Phwoar thread redux

Started by touchingcloth, March 14, 2021, 05:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phwoar thread

It's great - keep it
98 (53.3%)
It's phwoarful, shit it off
85 (46.2%)
serious bzness
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 184

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: selectivememory on March 14, 2021, 07:11:09 PM
I don't have a problem with people sharing pictures of the famous people they fancy, but some of the comments are pretty repulsive.

It's true and I have got into arguments because of it. But the weird cunts don't just stink up that thread and I don't think we should let them dictate what we can discuss.

pigamus

Yeah, I've never seen creepy wrongness not called out in that thread tbf. But it does happen.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 14, 2021, 06:59:33 PM
Did I?

No, I did. My point was very obvious and you're just being wilfully curt for antagonistic effect whilst avoiding the bigger issue at hand.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 14, 2021, 07:15:05 PM
It's true and I have got into arguments because of it. But the weird cunts don't just stink up that thread and I don't think we should let them dictate what we can discuss.

Is this language not a bit like the whole anti-woke anti-cancel culture rhetoric? I don't feel that anyone is dictating and discussion is hardly being quashed

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The idea banning the thread and further similar threads is necessary as part of some cleansing process should already be so obviously risible as to not warrant all this. However...

There is a lot of good natured straining to understand why people are offended, aiming to leap to someone's protection, but not as much time invested in critical thinking. It doesn't follow simply because someone is offended that they are correct to think that, up to and including being a man and noticing a woman is offended. It is important to listen and understand other perspectives but that process does not require surrendering to it. It just requires analysing whether it makes sense to you and weighing on what level you are able to meaningfully contribute to resolving it. This is not a didactic subject, where pure truth is conveyed, and the ignoramii below must absorb it. There are contested points and anyone man, woman or whoever should be listened to equally.

Most people are biologically compelled to react to beauty where they encounter it and it constitues a part of how each of us comprehends the universe as well as our own drives.

Understanding other people is how we become civilised. It is the cornerstone of civility, and happens through exchange of ideas, feelings, images.

It may seem silly for someone to say this in respect of this tiny thread on an obscure forum, as though it is essential to performing some vital existential function. It isn't, we'd do without it. What I object to is the attempts mounted here to make people feel ashamed or guilty of having posted. Most people's posts on there are undeserving of that.

It's important all acknowledge there are fundamental disagreements on the whole concept of whether declaring your admiration of someone's beauty or sexiness or whatever is socially acceptable. Until those disagreements are resolved (in my opinion by the neopuritans conceding that it is possible to extol the virtues of someone's looks without by accident or design placing that quality above their other characteristics) it is just going to be people who think they're morally superior browbeating some bashful people who disagree but kind of don't want to lay down their weekends in service of defending a who do you fancy thread.

Ban it if you want but if you think it's going to make the slightest bit of difference to anyone's lives or attitudes you're mistaken.

Zetetic

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on March 14, 2021, 07:19:53 PM
Is this language not a bit like the whole anti-woke anti-cancel culture rhetoric? I don't feel that anyone is dictating and discussion is hardly being quashed
The meaning seems very different, given that Yesno is not talking about the people explaining their distaste for the thread.

Blue Jam

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on March 14, 2021, 07:01:55 PM
Have posted some Samuel Becketts some WG Sebalds and some David Lynches in that thread.

Even if we don't have the same taste in fellas I do find a lot of the photos you post rather striking and beautiful, for what it's worth. I can still appreciate them as art. Beautiful photography of beautiful people.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 14, 2021, 06:54:05 PM
The rest of the internet can have a very narrow view of what constitutes beauty. The Phwooar thread has been at its best when it's stepped outside that. I'm not even joking when I say I find it somewhat reassuring when Blue Jam posts pictures of baldies, even if I do exaggerate it for effect.

Incel types often whine about how all women just want Chad and there's no hope for any man who doesn't have the right percentage of muscle mass or the right rasmus dimensions or whatever. I am more than happy to prove them wrong.

I seriously don't understand why you lot are so obsessed with baldness. Going bald is just part of the natural ageing process, I genuinely don't give a fuck about it and to do so would feel a bit cruel. Us wimmin go through lots of changes with age too and are vilified over the fact, I wouldn't dream of putting a man through that.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Zetetic on March 14, 2021, 07:22:16 PM
The meaning seems very different, given that Yesno is not talking about the people explaining their distaste for the thread.

Ok yeah, but if behaviour is changed or 'dictated' in response to bad behaviour that seems a natural and healthy progression. Forgive me Johnny Yesno for reading that as more of freedom of speech style complaint.

Zetetic

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 14, 2021, 07:27:46 PM
Going bald is just part of the natural ageing process
Like getting cancer, dementia or a predilection for voting for the Conservative and Unionist Party.

Blue Jam

Except only one of those things is a legitimate reason to not want to fuck someone.

steve98

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 14, 2021, 07:15:05 PM
the weird cunts don't just stink up that thread.

They're prominent on the Cats thread too, droolin' all over pics of each other's photogenic pussies. Unless your cat's a right looker you've no chance over there... They don't wanna know you if your cat's a bit plain.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Even if we don't have the same taste in fellas I do find a lot of the photos you post rather striking and beautiful, for what it's worth. I can still appreciate them as art. Beautiful photography of beautiful people.

Bob Odenkirk is also a bit hot.

Thinking on it I find it hard to set a concrete boundary on what point I become distinctly uncomfortable with comments one one's appearance. Tbh I never feel very nice about men (and even women most of the time) talking about womens' bodies. Much prefer comments on style, makeup jobs, hair etc etc stuff you generally have more control over

bgmnts

I find any talk about beauty and fashion and cosmetic uncomfortable and shit but I get ragged to fuck for it so fuck it all. Hope the nukes come and let the monkeys and rats have a go.

imitationleather

I don't think a monkey is going to survive a nuclear holocaust.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I don't understand steve98's posts in this thread. Is he jokin' around, like a joker?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: bgmnts on March 14, 2021, 07:39:46 PM
I find any talk about beauty and fashion and cosmetic uncomfortable and shit but I get ragged to fuck for it so fuck it all.

Cosmetics and beauty and fashion is largely chat had between women and not something imposed on men. We do recognise the inherent problems with standards/industry etc etc. What makes you uncomfortable about it?

Women are generally uncomfortable that men judge their bodies and appearance because of its intrinsic link to patriarchal violence, subjugation, murder etc etc etc. Don't think it's a fair comparison

bgmnts

I just hate any conversation about anything cosmetic really.

Blue Jam

I dunno, I've never been terribly girly but I love make-up and I love talking about style.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on March 14, 2021, 07:38:02 PM
Much prefer comments on style, makeup jobs, hair etc etc stuff you generally have more control over

Yes. These things, being personal choices, have a major bearing on a person's hotness.

jobotic

Quote from: imitationleather on March 14, 2021, 07:42:17 PM
I don't think a monkey is going to survive a nuclear holocaust.

No but when the surviving bacteria evolve they'll get to monkeys before people. It's basic science.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Could we have a thread for pretty monkeys please?
Cheers

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Zetetic on March 14, 2021, 07:22:16 PM

Oh, absolutely. Thanks for pointing that out. I'd rather the thread got cancelled because people disagree with my assertion that lusting is fine if we stick to being nice about people's looks than because some twats ruin for everyone else.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on March 14, 2021, 07:29:42 PM
Ok yeah, but if behaviour is changed or 'dictated' in response to bad behaviour that seems a natural and healthy progression. Forgive me Johnny Yesno for reading that as more of freedom of speech style complaint.

No problem. I just think that the change should be flaming the twats who can't be nice about other people's looks until they fuck off rather than tolerating their stupid shit.

JamesTC

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on March 14, 2021, 07:52:18 PM
Could we have a thread for pretty monkeys please?
Cheers

I once dressed up as a gorilla for a fancy dress party but when I arrived nobody else had bothered to dress up.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Buelligan on March 14, 2021, 07:00:05 PM

It's because shite like that, normalising the objectification of other human beings like that, contributes to creating an atmosphere where abusing other human beings is less problematic.  Inuring people to the idea that it's fine to dehumanise others is the first step, for some, towards far worse behaviour.  And today, we're thinking about that.  How each of us can contribute to making society better for all of us.

For me that's the crux of the matter. I know what we do is not going to make any difference to society but it would feel good to make some sort of (futile) stand against the tidal wave of judging people on surface characteristics that is modern society. It's so normalised that most folk don't even question it, sex is used to sell everything, we're bombarded with propaganda that tells us our bodies aren't good enough so we have a duty to change them so as not to be ashamed. This becomes a beauty arms race with people spending more and more on cosmetics, plastic surgery, clothes and so on, all the while getting more and more anxious and unhappy.  It's utterly toxic to people's wellbeing but hardly anyone stands up to it, so maybe we could?

Jerzy Bondov

Can't we just rebrand it to something respectful like Sexual Wank Den

Buelligan

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 14, 2021, 07:56:45 PM
For me that's the crux of the matter. I know what we do is not going to make any difference to society but it would feel good to make some sort of (futile) stand against the tidal wave of judging people on surface characteristics that is modern society. It's so normalised that most folk don't even question it, sex is used to sell everything, we're bombarded with propaganda that tells us our bodies aren't good enough so we have a duty to change them so as not to be ashamed. This becomes a beauty arms race with people spending more and more on cosmetics, plastic surgery, clothes and so on, all the while getting more and more anxious and unhappy.  It's utterly toxic to people's wellbeing but hardly anyone stands up to it, so maybe we could?

What a beautiful thought.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: JamesTC on March 14, 2021, 07:55:48 PM
I once dressed up as a gorilla for a fancy dress party but when I arrived nobody else had bothered to dress up.

....Or some other Morrissey lyric[nb]this is one of my famous Baddiel- derived running jokes. Good, isn't it?[/nb].

Johnny Yesno

I seriously don't understand why you lot are so obsessed with baldness. Going bald is just part of the natural ageing process, I genuinely don't give a fuck about it and to do so would feel a bit cruel. Us wimmin go through lots of changes with age too and are vilified over the fact, I wouldn't dream of putting a man through that.

The internet outside here is extremely judgemental and makes everyone feel insecure. I like to think I don't give a shit but I'm not immune really. I like the Phwooar thread when people I wouldn't have expected make it into there.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 14, 2021, 07:56:45 PM

But is ignoring it the way to stand up to it? Perhaps saying 'Fuck you and your narrow concept of beauty. I like this person.' is the way to go.

Buelligan

Read the first three pages of that thread, it's been there, grinning in the face of every new poster that clicks on it for years, read it and tell me about affirmation and positivity. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteFor me that's the crux of the matter. I know what we do is not going to make any difference to society but it would feel good to make some sort of (futile) stand against the tidal wave of judging people on surface characteristics that is modern society.

They aren't being judged as people from their surface characteristics. Surface characteristics are being admired. Not in supplement to anything, not in substitute for anything, not in supplanting of any other quality. There's nothing intrinsically immoral about that.

The hysterics about 'tidal waves' ignores what we know about humans, and possibly your own brain but yes, please tell us how to build our repressed, clean puritan society that has never ever historically led to increased abuse and fetishisation of women's bodies.