Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: Arty Morty and the Glinfinite Transness: The Hateful 8th

Started by madhair60, March 15, 2021, 01:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

The transcript from last week's bananafest is now up

https://committees.parliament.uk/oralevidence/1865/html/

Poor bugger who had to do this
QuoteIt is definitely a problem. We are still not really used to the fact that this is a massive change that the human race is going through. We have developed what you could almost call a form of telekinesis, where we can tune into the thoughts of someone on the other side of the world. We need to be able to inoculate ourselves against ideas that may seem attractive but are often complete nonsense. If we do not do that, this current wave of hate against feminists is going to be the first of many of these types of things. We still feel like we have a handle on this new technology, but I do not think we do at all. It is not just a question of sorting that out with the tech companies. It is a question of sorting that out between ourselves, as human beings.

The Chair: That is very useful
QuoteViscount Colville of Culross: The fact that so many of those platforms have come to the same conclusion seems to be extraordinary if you have done nothing to harass people.

Graham Linehan: You are doing exactly what those I call the enforcers, the users on Twitter, do. You are using the fact that I have been banned as evidence. It is the same as JK Rowling. The idea that JK Rowling is transphobic or a bigot is like a bit of mind control that has spread all over the world. Most people assume it is true. Have you ever seen one transphobic statement from her? There has never been anything and yet she is absolutely vilified. A poster was taken down in Edinburgh train station saying, "I love JK Rowling", because it was considered hate speech. This is what is happening. You have to understand.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the percentage of trans-identified employees at Silicon Valley companies is a complete reversal of the amount of trans-identified people you find in real life. It is a political and ideological movement, masquerading as a minority group

Bernice

Bernice

QuoteWhat it is, is, it's a form of telekinesis. It's a sort of mind control that takes someone pure and good, like Ralph or JK Rowling, and it turns off the replie. You know, turning off replies, that's not, we can't just think about it as a twitter thing. It's a mental thing, it's tapping into this global consciousness and it's forcing our minds. And now you have little girls cutting their healthy breasts off and saying "I don't like JK Rowling." But JK Rowling is Ralph, and so it really doesn't make sense. But replies get turned off and the work stops coming in, and because of that my wife turned off the replies too, the replies that was my marriage.

RicoMNKN

QuoteIn right-wing dictatorships, they would often pick political enemies up off the street before an important vote and put them somewhere safe where they could not vote or participate in the political life of the country. That is essentially what is happening when you get a 30-day ban. For 30 days, you are being told that you may not participate in the political life of the country.

Imagine seeing Twitter as this central to life.  I know it is designed to make addicts of people, but still....

JaDanketies

Quote from: RicoMNKN on March 16, 2021, 11:03:05 AM
Imagine seeing Twitter as this central to life.  I know it is designed to make addicts of people, but still....

"I'm not harassing people on the internet! I'm nobly defending free speech and playing an important role in the political sphere. I'll be finished at 3am, dear."

frajer

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on March 16, 2021, 10:56:00 AM
When he says telekinesis, does he mean telepathy

He'd definitely be fuming at the X-Men, with their rampant mind powers and alternative lifestyles.

No thank you, give me 'Ralph Potter and the Toilet of Women' any day of the diary.

JamesTC

Quote from: frajer on March 16, 2021, 12:09:03 PM
He'd definitely be fuming at the X-Men, with their rampant mind powers and alternative lifestyles.

Don't mention Kitty Pryde to him otherwise he will go on about lesbian erasure again. After all it is up to a single white cis-man to dictate who is and isn't a lesbian.

idunnosomename

It's not quite as obvious in the text but it was so clear Charles Colville was totally aware that Glinner was a twitter-addicted maniac and was very professionally taking the piss out of him by going on about Facebook and how odd it was he was banned by three platforms. Shows a lot of lords are better than a lot of MPs imo and you wouldn't want to get rid of it until you have a proper replacement (not sure how much the vanity ones like dogfucker Austin actually do committees like this)

pigamus

Oh dogfucker Austin does committees all right. Ask Michael Rosen.

frajer

Yeah I think Colville knew exactly what he was doing.

Quote from:  ColvilleThere is another platform that you have also been banned from, Medium. Was that experience different from what happened at Facebook and Twitter? It is quite a thing to be banned by three separate platforms, all of which have different policies and still came to the same conclusion.

Quote from:  ColvilleThe fact that so many of those platforms have come to the same conclusion seems to be extraordinary if you have done nothing to harass people.

The fact that Linehan's response was to proffer his Twitter archive saying it contains zero abuse just cements how much of a manipulative tosser he is. Try throwing a stone on that archive without hitting him calling someone a paedo.

phes

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 16, 2021, 12:36:30 PM
It's not quite as obvious in the text but it was so clear Charles Colville was totally aware that Glinner was a twitter-addicted maniac and was very professionally taking the piss out of him by going on about Facebook and how odd it was he was banned by three platforms. Shows a lot of lords are better than a lot of MPs imo and you wouldn't want to get rid of it until you have a proper replacement (not sure how much the vanity ones like dogfucker Austin actually do committees like this)

The Oh, I don't care about Facebook was a great reveal of how this whole thing is rooted in Graham's life, at his computer.

idunnosomename

Quote from: pigamus on March 16, 2021, 12:41:17 PM
Oh dogfucker Austin does committees all right. Ask Michael Rosen.
that was a parliamentary one when he was still an MP. Im sure if a lords one on antisemitism comes up hell stick his cunty oar into it though

George Oscar Bluth II

The transcript is incredible, the lords make clear they're not particularly interested in what he's been banned for or his views, they just want to know what it's like to be banned and how it impacts on free expression etc and Glins is like "what I'm concerned about is that people aren't allowed to state biological facts!" in response to every question.

QuoteGraham Linehan: I used the Better Business Bureau. While I was involved in this, I heard from a man who was banned at the same time as I was, Stuart Campbell, who does the website Wings Over Scotland. We were told that the orders to ban me and him came at the same time and came from the London office. When questioned about it, they said, %u201CThey are not getting back on again%u201D. I found this out after I had sent my appeal. It was a purely political decision to get rid of me.

If "teaming up with Wings Over Scotland" isn't your "are we the baddies" moment I don't know what could be.

pk1yen

Blast from the past. Glinner wrote a short thing about Twitter for the first episode of Alan Moore's otherwise-great Dodgem Logic magazine in 2010. Bit of a nothing-y article tbh, but here is is for the archive.

Full of naïve hope about social media before we knew what it would do.

(I remember he also wrote something similar for Mustard magazine around the same time, which might be more illuminating -- but I can't find my copy of that. It has that same damn image of him on the cover, I remember that much.)

idunnosomename

it does seem he thought twitter to be like the human instrumentality project and it's not fair he's been booted from the collective singularity of consciousness for calling people paedophiles

how sad that are graham's future john lennon turned out to be Arty Morty.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotemy wife turned off the replies too, the replies that was my marriage.

Oh, you've turned off Replies
You've turned off replies
A marriage on which you no longer rely

frajer

Ohhhh you've changed all the locks, you've changed all the locks,
You've reduced me to the status of a big urban fox

His treatise on Twitter being an "automatically nicer internet" where everyone helps each other fails to anticipate his own presence on it.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: pk1yen on March 16, 2021, 02:37:55 PM
Blast from the past. Glinner wrote a short thing about Twitter for the first episode of Alan Moore's otherwise-great Dodgem Logic magazine in 2010. Bit of a nothing-y article tbh, but here is is for the archive.

Full of naïve hope about social media before we knew what it would do.

reminds me of when he was on Robert Llewelyn's Car Pool and I'm probably remembering it through shit tinted specs but I feel like he spent most of it banging on about twitter. Strange how it went from "it could be really great for finding missing people" to all this!

JamesTC

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on March 16, 2021, 03:18:29 PM
reminds me of when he was on Robert Llewelyn's Car Pool and I'm probably remembering it through shit tinted specs but I feel like he spent most of it banging on about twitter. Strange how it went from "it could be really great for finding missing people" to all this!

Oh dear god you aren't.

EDIT: This is a goldmine.

"We should talk about something other than Twitter" around 15 minutes in. Then Glinner talking about how he hates Facebook.

idunnosomename

oh wow, he pronounces it "eye-ran". one mystery solved in the first three minutes

DrGreggles

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 16, 2021, 06:52:12 PM
oh wow, he pronounces it "eye-ran". one mystery solved in the first three minutes

Or one mystery made even more inexplicable.

idunnosomename

well it does sound a bit more like "a man" the way he says it. if only he had a writing partner to tell him it was a shit joke

JamesTC

I love him completely dismissing Bobby's really good point about how the Nigerian film industry works and how it could be applied to the rest of the world (and has been borne out now). He really is just a rude prick.

Drygate

Deleted

Alberon

TommyTurnips

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on March 16, 2021, 03:18:29 PM

Same when he went on Richard Herring's podcast. Two appearances, both of them just itching to turn the conversation around to twitter at any moment.