Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:59:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Laptop Power Connector Issue

Started by Neomod, March 16, 2021, 02:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

I have an issue with (I think) my laptop power jack.

It's an HP 620. I've bought a new battery and charger thinking it might be one of those but my laptop notifications tray either says plugged in charging/plugged in not charging or not plugged in at all. And that's when I've wobbled the charging cable into the jack. 

Is this a connector or motherboard issue do you reckon? Is there a way I can test this too?I have another old HP620 and so was going to change the jack (if that what it is) myself but my technical skills are nowhere near the complete strip down of the laptop changing the power jack entails.

I'm guessing a replacement and labour would cost about £70

BlodwynPig

just replaced my Mac one due to same issue (actually its because I was using a N. American plug and had to put an old clock underneath to stop it from falling out of the adapter. N. American plugs are fucking wank.

119 quid mind.

Wilbur

Depends on the model. If its a cheap one then its probably soldered to the motherboard so unless you can find someone who is happy tp strip it down completely de-solder the old one and then solder the replacement off its a "not cost effective to repair" job. HP usually publish their service manuals so you can take a look.

Neomod

Quote from: Wilbur on March 16, 2021, 03:26:10 PM
Depends on the model. If its a cheap one then its probably soldered to the motherboard so unless you can find someone who is happy tp strip it down completely de-solder the old one and then solder the replacement off its a "not cost effective to repair" job. HP usually publish their service manuals so you can take a look.

This is the jack so I'm guessing a solder jobby.

This guy on ebay is charging £65 for replacement but I'll also ask my local repair shop for a quote.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-620-WS827EA-DC-Power-Port-Jack-Socket-Connector-DC014-1-65-Pin/254709723158?hash=item3b4de1f016:g:IWAAAOSwWTRWy0Yj

Do you reckon it is the connector is the problem and not a software problem? (latest battery drivers are installed)

Wilbur

If you wobble the plug and it breaks/reconnects then its either the plug or the socket. It can be either or just a dodgy connection to the board. You've replaced the plug to its probably the socket and or board, most likely the socket.

Neomod

Thanks, do you have an idea what the 'plugged in not charging' notification means when the battery is not fully charged?

Wilbur

One of several things, historically it was usually a software bug which you could try various things to fix with a fairly random seeming chance of success. With Windows 10 it's more generally the machine not getting enough power to charge the battery and/or the battery being on the way out.

Sebastian Cobb

Are you using the other HP 620? If you're not then swapping the hard drive/ssd of the one with the duff power jack will probably be a much easier option.

Neomod

Nah, the other 620 died previously from another issue. The part is only 1.99 to buy and so I wouldn't need to use it anyway.

MojoJojo

I'd try turning it off, removing the battery, and trying to run it just off the power lead. If you can that would suggest the battery is screwed.

But then I haven't owned a proper laptop in 10+ years. You probably can't remove the battery.

Neomod

Tested the batteries in another laptop and they charged fine so It's definitely the power jack so I'll just get it replaced.