Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Birdgirl (Harvey Birdman spin-off)

Started by dr_christian_troy, March 17, 2021, 01:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

Birdgirl, the new spin-off series based on Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, has shared its first look with Adult Swim! When Adult Swim first started experimenting with original programming, the programming block turned network made a huge mark early on by taking some of the Hanna-Barbera properties they had access to and twisting them in unexpected ways. Starting out with turning characters like Space Ghost into talk show hosts, one of the other notable early experiments saw a new take on the main hero from Birdman and the Galaxy Trio by turning him into an attorney at law.

Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law lasted for four strong seasons and returned for a brief special back in 2018. Now the franchise is returning for a brand new spin-off series focusing on Birdgirl that will feature Paget Brewster returning to voice the lead heroine. With the premiere of this new series fast approaching in April, Adult Swim has shared the first look at Birdgirl that you can check out in the video above!

One of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law's creators, Erik Richter returns to the franchise to serve as Executive Producer for Birdgirl alongside Christina Miller with animation at Awesome, Inc. Paget Brewster returns from that series to voice the titular Birdgirl and the cast also includes the likes of Rob Delaney, Sonia Denis, Kether Donohue, John Doman, Negin Farsad, Tony Hale and Lorelei Ramirez.

Premiering on Adult Swim on Sunday, April 4th at midnight EST, the series will feature half-hour long episodes as it sees Birdgirl being promoted all the way to CEO and deals with the challenges that this kind of big office change can bring. Birdgirl is officially described as such:
1comments

"In Birdgirl, 30-something Judy Ken Sebben inherits her father's company, which would be great if that company weren't built around the most socially irresponsible 20th Century products and practices that, on a good day, involves clearing redwood forests or operating for-profit children's hospitals. From the halls of the company headquarters, she assembles the ragtag, non-overtime earning Birdteam. Together, they try to undo all the luridly dangerous decisions of the generation before or contain the havoc of one of their own "world-saving" products gone bad."

Preview video and article here.

Famous Mortimer

Nice! Also, Lorelei Ramirez is funny as hell, so it's good to see them get a decent sized gig like this.

madhair60

Has this got Hanna Barbera characters in it again?

dissolute ocelot

Speaking of Hanna Barbera/Harvey Birdman, is it easier to make an animation with established characters, like can you reuse drawings/designs or otherwise save money, or is it just about recognition and publicity?

Petey Pate

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 24, 2021, 09:29:21 AM
Speaking of Hanna Barbera/Harvey Birdman, is it easier to make an animation with established characters, like can you reuse drawings/designs or otherwise save money, or is it just about recognition and publicity?

Certainly makes it easier to sell the idea to TV show commissioners.

Was Birdgirl in the original Birdman cartoon or created for Attorney At Law? 

dr_christian_troy

New trailer here.

It doesn't look like they'll be incorporating Hanna-Barbera characters much at all. I would be very surprised if there wasn't the occasional cameo, but otherwise this seems very much its own thing.

I think the trend of using existing footage for shows on Adult Swim originated through Sealab 2021 and Space Ghost, where they would take existing footage and modify it for comedic purposes. I suspect with copyright issues cleared it was probably cheaper on the budget too.

Blumf

Pilot's out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PATwOToWgwI

It could grow into something, but I'm not feeling it yet.

madhair60

g0m

it lacks the frenetic feel of the original series, which to be clear i don't think is necessarily a bad thing, but it does make it seem a bit stodgy in comparison to harvey birdman. still, on its own merits, i think it was a good enough pilot

Mister Six

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 24, 2021, 09:29:21 AM

With Sealab and Space Ghost I think it was just an easy and cheap way to produce animation, given the relative obscurity of the original properties. With Harvey Birdman, slightly edgy/adult takes on classic cartoon characters was obviously the selling point.