Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:27:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Debris (2021) - new SF show from the creator of Fringe

Started by surreal, March 17, 2021, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Don't get too attached, it's likely to get cancelled as the second episode viewers apparently crashed but anyway...

Plot is a damaged alien spacecraft is spotted drifting through the solar system and breaking up, and for the past 6 months debris has been falling on earth.  Each piece seems to have different odd properties, and naturally the Feds are the focus of the show but various nefarious agencies are trying to collect them too (including Scroobius Pip for some reason)

I've been watching this (downloaded), 3 episodes in and I like it.  It has a different feel to a lot of other SF shows, certainly trying something slightly different with the atmosphere and music of it.  I loved Fringe and dearly want something good to take it's place.  Will be a shame if this does get cancelled early, but such is the life of a sci-fi show in the US I guess

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JgPW1hK_No

purlieu

There's a catch-22 thing going on with new shows like this, in that people are reluctant to take a punt as it'll likely get cancelled, so viewing figures don't meet expectations and thus it gets cancelled. I like the premise and will add it to my list of Shows to Watch Once They've Had a Few Seasons.

DrGreggles

I quite liked Fringe, but no idea if I ever saw the end of it.

Wasn't there a musical episode? Or is my memory proper fucked?

surreal

Not musical I don't think - they did a Noir thing, but don't remember songs

purlieu

Don't recall a musical episode either. It's been a few years since I saw it.
The final season was very different but was pretty much commissioned as a gift to the shows fans as it was almost cancelled. It has one of my favourite final scenes of any show.
It wasn't perfect but it had such ambition and never jumped the shark or floundered, which feels increasingly rare in this kind of TV.

Chairman Yang

I'm watching this and if anything it's a bit old-fashioned, reminds of the hundreds of techno-thriller shows they put out in 2000s.

Doesn't help that your man looks like, acts like and... is Limmy? Still, I'll give it a go.

olliebean

I bailed after episode 2. This sort of thing really relies on feeling engaged with the main characters, and I'm afraid I didn't find the main duo in this engaging at all.

Loved Fringe, though. Maybe I'll give this another go, see if it finds its feet.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I heard Fringe repeatedly fell afoul of the censors. It was always getting cut.

Alberon

Viewers almost always drop after the first episode, so it's too early to tell. I've not actually started watching it yet.

Fringe was one of my most favourite shows to come from American networks in many years so I hope Debris can grow into an equally fun show.

Dex Sawash

On Peacock, dunno if that is available outside of US (america)

phantom_power

It is coming to Sky Atlantic (and therefore Now TV) soon I think

mothman

But it's going to be basically the same as half the other new shows that debut each year, isn't it? A combination of action/suspense/spy/police procedural with some unique mystery element bolted on? This year's FlashForward/Jericho/Revolution etc.[nb]All trying to be the next Lost. And failing miserably.[/nb] I never watched Fringe but my impression of it was that that was in the same vein - and so I can't speak for whatever gave it such stating power, clocking up however many seasons when most of those other shows lasted one or two at best.

Alberon

Fringe worked by not being the next Lost, despite JJ (never plan ahead) Abrams being one of the creators. However much of the ending was actually intended it does work as a complete show. And John Noble is very good as the eccentric scientist Walter Bishop. As I said, it's one of the best of the network SF shows.

Absolutely pisses on Lost IMO.

purlieu

Yeah, it was quite separate from the Lost style of doing things at the time, partially because it went for a largely episodic first season (rather than the "what are we going to learn about the mystery this week?" serialisation of most of those failed shows), it had some very likeable characters, and it didn't take itself too seriously.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Besides, they were clever enough in Fringe not to spin too many plates at the same time and not to focus everything on a central mystery unless around the premiere, the mid-season finale or the finale for the season. It made the show much less confusing than developing a lot of mythology that ultimately goes unexplained or is full of contradictions. They would also introduce a new main arc just when they were finishing another one, it was much more lisible that way. That was also the approach they had with Person of Interest.

Compared to these two shows, that still managed to run for five seasons, Abrams has often been guilty, as a producer, of developing shows around some high concept or gimmick that's not interesting at all. Alcatraz was about some time travel that had allowed Alcatraz inmates to escape and resurface 50 years later, but it was incredibly dull and repetitive. Just like Westworld (by the very same team behind PoI) is now.

olliebean

I'm bailing again. This week's was just dull. I'm still not bothered about the characters, and it needs to take itself a lot less seriously.

surreal

Yeah, agreed it's a shame as I like the premise but there seems to be no forward momentum at the moment.  Maybe I'll wait and binge it rather than week-to-week

surreal

I have actually kept watching this.  Up to episode 9 now which is actually a really good episode about parallel dimensions with a great cliff-hanger.  It's a shame that they are still not making the leads dynamic enough to sustain interest for most people as they are doing some really intriguing world building with some great ideas.  If anyone was unsure it might be worth checking the latest ep out as it is really quite well done - I don't think you'd spoil much as there's not a lot of addition revelations that weren't apparent from the start.

Chairman Yang

I know this show is typically quite boring but the two-part time loop episode set entirely inside an AirBNB rental that culminates in a side-character getting divorce papers is taking the piss.

No way this is getting a second series. None.

surreal

Hmmm... I actually liked that one.  Oh well.  yeah, it's deffo getting cancelled

Chairman Yang

Hah! I'm sorry, surreal... I really did try to enjoy it. After first few episodes I think I was hoping for something more mean spirited, like the twins dying of radiation poisoning or something :D

surreal

Aaaaaand officially cancelled.

I read an interview with the creator who was trying to justify leaving all the actual big plot moments and reveals (John Noble!!) until the last episode.  Might have been fine in the middle of a 22 episode run but right at the end of a 13 ep run when almost nothing tangible has happened in the rest of the season is not going to get decent viewing figures.

Shame.  I thought it had promise.