Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:48:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Night Of The Demon (1957)

Started by Chedney Honks, March 17, 2021, 07:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

Quote from: notjosh on March 24, 2021, 02:00:42 PM
I hope everyone in this thread is familiar with Jacques Tourneur's other masterpiece, Cat People. If not get it remedied, stat:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0078ns6/cat-people

Tourneur is unlucky really.  He made at least three movies that are major cult items - Night of the Demon, Cat People and Out of the Past - but the success of each is somehow considered to be almost incidental to his presence in the director's chair.  Out of the Past is seen as an expression of the collective genius of the noir genre, Night of the Demon is sui generis, and Cat People is usually referred to as Val Lewton's Cat People, Lewton being one of the very few producers to attain auteur status.

Chedney Honks

I recently picked up Cat People in the Criterion sale, and I've been looking forward to it. Think I'll pop it in today.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Keebleman on March 27, 2021, 11:20:11 PM

I'm currently working at the BBC and there are bound copies of every single Radio Times ever published (though three of the volumes from the war years are missing for some reason), so I'll look this one up next chance I get.

You'll be lost for weeks in that library. Take supplies.

Keebleman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 28, 2021, 11:30:28 AM
You'll be lost for weeks in that library. Take supplies.
Yeah it's amazing.  I was looking at the last issue that came out before war was declared.  In the schedule was a live TV performance of some play which of course never was aired, but fourth billed in the cast list was James Mason!  There's loads of nuggets like that.  And of course the features, the letters, the adverts...

greenman

Quote from: Chedney Honks on March 28, 2021, 07:57:38 AM
I recently picked up Cat People in the Criterion sale, and I've been looking forward to it. Think I'll pop it in today.

The only other film of his I'v seen, I would say a bit classier keeping the supernatural more in the background although not with a standup performance like MacGinnis in Demon.

timebug

Fired by this thread, I found 'Night Of The Demon' online, downloaded it and shoved it on a usb stick,and (re)watched it on my telly. Still brilliant! And I had forgotten that the comatose 'farmer/murderer' who was in an 'institute for the criminally insane' was none other than a young Brian Wilde aka Mr Barraclough/Foggy Dewhurst! Superb film, still spotting little bits and bobs in it that I never noticed before. And I must have seen it about ten times now! (If not more...)

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Keebleman on March 28, 2021, 11:47:27 AM
Yeah it's amazing.  I was looking at the last issue that came out before war was declared.  In the schedule was a live TV performance of some play which of course never was aired, but fourth billed in the cast list was James Mason!  There's loads of nuggets like that.  And of course the features, the letters, the adverts...

All the Christmas covers would be interesting to see.

greenman

Quote from: timebug on March 29, 2021, 09:28:44 AM
Fired by this thread, I found 'Night Of The Demon' online, downloaded it and shoved it on a usb stick,and (re)watched it on my telly. Still brilliant! And I had forgotten that the comatose 'farmer/murderer' who was in an 'institute for the criminally insane' was none other than a young Brian Wilde aka Mr Barraclough/Foggy Dewhurst! Superb film, still spotting little bits and bobs in it that I never noticed before. And I must have seen it about ten times now! (If not more...)

Three men in a bathtub being chased by an Assyrian fire demon.