Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sony giving away games for PS4 (and PS5)

Started by Mister Six, March 17, 2021, 09:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Don't know where madhair60 stole that opinion from but he's right for once. Blow is a chode, Braid is aids, but that moment (and it's different for everyone) is one of the greatest in the history of games.

Non Stop Dancer

Yes, that's what I was getting at earlier in the thread. A real fuck my hat moment. Wonder how long it takes for it to happen to the average player.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Are you talking about
Spoiler alert
the OU programme in the cinema
[close]
?

Harpo Speaks

Just to echo the praise for The Witness here. Incredible game, up there amongst the best of the generation for me.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 01, 2021, 12:15:48 AM
Are you talking about
Spoiler alert
the OU programme in the cinema
[close]
?

Not that, you will know for sure.

Mister Six

Is it when
Spoiler alert
you realise you can use the click-and-draw-a-line function on the scenery (proper angle permitting)
[close]
? If so, I did that today and it was lovely. On
Spoiler alert
the tree temple,
[close]
if you're wondering. Also did
Spoiler alert
the bamboo forest (looking up) and the pipe and its reflection from the symmetry hill.
[close]

Mister Six

Reasonably sure
Spoiler alert
there'll be a pattern in the clouds from some angle
[close]
. Keep looking up. Don't like the look of
Spoiler alert
that one random grey cloud either.
[close]

So when, roughly, does the arse blastingly amazing stuff happen? I must have done somewhere in the region of fifty... thousand variations of the same puzzle and yet my arse remains disappointingly unblasted.

brat-sampson

It's not something that happens at a set time. I'd recommend not worrying about it and just progressing through the game, finding panels, enjoying looking around the island and joining circles to tips to light lasers etc. There's plenty to find and some really good clever ideas.

If you really want a hint:
Spoiler alert
there's a lovely view from the mountain.
[close]

After taking a break to finish Day of the Tentacle, I've been getting back into these games. The Witness was the shitness, so I've been having a go at Rez and Thumper. They seem quite similar, with the main difference being that Rez was boring. Happily, Thumper has proved to be compulsive stuff - simple, but tricky, but not pisstaking about it.

The Culture Bunker

'The Witness' - I got to a point where there was a puzzle that was just beyond me and gave up, which was frustrating as I think I was close to the end.

'Subnautica' I've tried, but couldn't really get into. I get the impression if I maybe stick with it to the point I have a jazzy base to play with it'll be a lot better, just not sure I have the patience to get there.

Quote from: brat-sampson on April 02, 2021, 06:03:23 AM
It's not something that happens at a set time. I'd recommend not worrying about it and just progressing through the game, finding panels, enjoying looking around the island and joining circles to tips to light lasers etc. There's plenty to find and some really good clever ideas.

If you really want a hint:
Spoiler alert
there's a lovely view from the mountain.
[close]
Nah. I had a much better idea: Chuff that game.

I finally got around to giving Enter the Gungeon a go and I can't be bothered starting a new thread for it.

I keep spitefully going back for one more go when I die, so I can't say it's crap, but I'm not entirely sure I'm enjoying it either. Mostly, it makes me think I should play Hotline Miami or Smash TV instead.

I think I'd like it a whole lot more if it were ever so slightly less stingy with the powerups. Many times, I've had to face a boss with just the crappy basic pistol, because the game didn't provide a better one, or enough currency to buy one in the shop. I know randomly generated levels are a key feature of the Roguelike sub-genre but, on the basis of this, I'm not convinced it's actually a good idea.

madhair60

I couldn't get on with Gungeon either - it lacks the variation of something like The Binding of Isaac and I find it inherently annoying how inaccurate the shooting is

Crenners

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 12, 2021, 04:09:51 PMI know randomly generated levels are a key feature of the Roguelike sub-genre but, on the basis of this, I'm not convinced it's actually a good idea.

I'd say it is, given the 300+ hrs I've loved of Isaac, but Gungeon is fucking stingy and often boring until the later stages. It's a game I've somewhat enjoyed in spite of its design, not because of. You need to plough the time into it before the earlier game is more interesting and it's still way way off Isaac.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 12, 2021, 04:09:51 PMMany times, I've had to face a boss with just the crappy basic pistol, because the game didn't provide a better one, or enough currency to buy one in the shop.

You'll learn which guns are great against bosses as you play, try to save at least one decent gun for the boss at the end of the chamber.

When the game gives you decent guns, don't just waste them on standard rooms. Play as the marine He has faster reload which is great, better accuracy and you get armour too. His starting pistol is great as well, you can get to chamber 4 using it exclusively and rack up a big collection of funky weapons.

Save your blanks for the bosses and don't take any chances, if you no-miss a boss you get an extra heart container. Don't be afraid to use them as you get 2 at the start of each chamber.

Save all your keys until after you've cleared the chamber, you never know when a rarer chest might turn up (From worst to best - brown, blue, green, red, black, rainbow)

The combat is a lot more steady and deliberate than most top down shooter roguelites, this is both the games main strength and it's main weakness.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You dicks. With this thread being bumped I thought there was more free shit on offer.

Crenners

There's a free Matrix experience on the PS5, meant to be amazing graphics but I don't care about the matrix.

Mobius

Quote from: Crenners on December 12, 2021, 09:09:50 PMThere's a free Matrix experience on the PS5, meant to be amazing graphics but I don't care about the matrix.

I downloaded it because everyone said it was really cool, but it's just a 5 minute tech demo unless I've vastly misunderstood it. There's one or two 'ohh, neat' bits in it but otherwise it's a waste of time, although it is free.

The Guppy

You can freely explore the whole city after the on-rails bit. It's the size of a GTA game and insanely detailed and pretty. But there's fuck-all to do in it.

Mobius

Yeah I ran around for a bit, wondered if the woman in the red dress would be around somewhere but didn't see her.

It looks amazing for sure, can't wait to see open world games set in a world that looks so detailed.